The Newest Mashmonster - Level 3 - Stephen Anderson

Bill Piche

Congratulations! Strong closes! 

• Thanks 1

Very strong closes! 💪 You don't need such a wide set. Just set to parallel and you'll probably ready for MM5 right now 👍

• Thanks 1

Badass dude 💪 congrats!

• Thanks 1

Preciate it guys! The long break slowed down the progress a bit. But just have to keep grinding. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Very strong closes! 💪 You don't need such a wide set. Just set to parallel and you'll probably ready for MM5 right now 👍

Only reason i keep it wide is so i dont get a red light for set depth

• Like 3

Completely new in grip but it seems to me that you were among the most promising beginnings there have been on this forum! Super impressive and convincing, are you thinking of looking for other certifications like those of iron mind or the GHP challenge? What is your maximum in MMS close right now? Congratulations the MM4 has only the reprieve of the delivery times!😀

Edited by Maiche 25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I have ever watched 5:30 Minutes of video without dialog before, but this one was worth it. Besides the closes (which were awesome) your capturing the event on video was also well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats dude!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Chez said:

Congrats dude!

Thanks homie!

34 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Congrats and nice SxS

Haha preciate that!

1 hour ago, Blackjaw said:

I don't think I have ever watched 5:30 Minutes of video without dialog before, but this one was worth it. Besides the closes (which were awesome) your capturing the event on video was also well done.

Haha 😂 preciate that

1 hour ago, Maiche 25 said:

Completely new in grip but it seems to me that you were among the most promising beginnings there have been on this forum! Super impressive and convincing, are you thinking of looking for other certifications like those of iron mind or the GHP challenge? What is your maximum in MMS close right now? Congratulations the MM4 has only the reprieve of the delivery times!😀

I have thought about the other certs. I just have focused on getting as strong and well rounded as i can. Still a ways to go! My max mms close in training is around 199. I only have a 193 and 199 so nothing in between. Without the set in a chocked gripper. 213 is my max thus far. I appreciate the kind words. Keep training hard!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Only reason i keep it wide is so i dont get a red light for set depth

That set should give a light as green as the Hulk.

No reason to do it like that, will only make the grippers harder to close. Just practice the right set and your hand will learn the position. Then you will be ready to reach your full potential on the ladder.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

That set should give a light as green as the Hulk.

No reason to do it like that, will only make the grippers harder to close. Just practice the right set and your hand will learn the position. Then you will be ready to reach your full potential on the ladder.

Definitely reassess and keep moving forward! Thanks for the advice 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Definitely reassess and keep moving forward! Thanks for the advice 

Maybe a bit controversial, but would a cert attempt automatically pass the set depth requirement if the athlete swiped a 20mm block through the handles? That would demonstrate parallel.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Maybe a bit controversial, but would a cert attempt automatically pass the set depth requirement if the athlete swiped a 20mm block through the handles? That would demonstrate parallel.

It's allowed to use a block set but the important thing is to make it visable to the judges. If you chose to use a block set, the block also need to be measured and the video need to be clean. By using a block set, you might make it more difficult to make a clean video. 

Just use a parallel set with a short pause, that is the best IMO. If the gripper is right at your limit, just practice filming a lot and you might be able to do the set faster, so you don't lose any strength for the close. Making a good video is the most important thing.

• Like 3

NIce closes!  Congrats.

42 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

It's allowed to use a block set but the important thing is to make it visable to the judges. If you chose to use a block set, the block also need to be measured and the video need to be clean. By using a block set, you might make it more difficult to make a clean video. 

Just use a parallel set with a short pause, that is the best IMO. If the gripper is right at your limit, just practice filming a lot and you might be able to do the set faster, so you don't lose any strength for the close. Making a good video is the most important thing.

I’m actually stronger from a block set. If I attempt to MMS like how I would for a video, I always go too wide to overcompensate. Using a block takes the guess work out for me and mentally I’m able to try harder. Likely just a personal preference 

Sweet!  Congrats!

25 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

I’m actually stronger from a block set. If I attempt to MMS like how I would for a video, I always go too wide to overcompensate. Using a block takes the guess work out for me and mentally I’m able to try harder. Likely just a personal preference 

I was at that point one time in my gripper career as well. The solution is to just train it more. Before I did MM cert I trained only for it, nothing else. You get good at what you train. Gripper training is very neurological.

• Like 1

Fantastic work Champion!

• Thanks 1

Congrats, solid closes here :mosher:mosher

• Thanks 1