Dangers of steel bending (WARNING GRAPHIC)

Jaden Majensky

Turn up that volume if you want to hear me blowing apart my thumb. This ended up being a UCL tare so 3 weeks and I'll be good. To anybody to says steel bending isn't a tough guy sport show them this. My stubborn ass even went for a second hit. 😂IMG_20200516_192454.thumb.jpg.6d8df6a8a9450495c0487e796d70b7f6.jpg

IMG_20200516_153951.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Definitely screamed when I heard that.
0/10, would not watch again. 👎

• Haha 1

Damn, that sucks. Definitely  risk of injury in this madness we do. Good luck healing up.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the injury. I have had my fair share. Wish you a speedy recovery. 

• Like 2

Thanks fellas. Yeah I've had a few boxers fractures and plenty of skin tares from bending but this one definitely takes the cake.

7 hours ago, Horrido said:

I wish you a good and fast recovery, Jaden.

Thanks Jan.

I'm not too sure if anybody would be into this idea but I think this could be a cool topic to expand on. Anybody in the steel bending community who has any stories or cool videos of getting tuned up by a piece of steel this could be the place to share that. Could also be educational to some new guys coming up on how to possibly avoid injury. Let me know what y'all think! 

• Like 5

Yes thank you very much for the information! I am a complete beginner in grip and externally I had absolutely no idea that it was possible to exert sufficient force to cause such damage, I will certainly not forget it and I also wish you a quick and complete recovery !

• Like 1

That’s a shame - all the best with your healing and recovery. No doubt you’ll be back soon! Stay safe out there friends. 

A thread of lessons learned and any prehab/rehab tricks would be a good resource

• Like 2

Ouch! Wish you a speedy recovery! Injuries suck.

• Like 1

I don't think I've been bending long enough or hard enough to have any good stories or pics for myself. Anybody got a pic of @Anton.Torrella fingers when he got a batch of mutant Reds for his cert a few years back?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Squeezus said:

I don't think I've been bending long enough or hard enough to have any good stories or pics for myself. Anybody got a pic of @Anton.Torrella fingers when he got a batch of mutant Reds for his cert a few years back?

I'm sure @Donc101 would have some good stuff to share from his crazy marathon bends and maybe even @AdamTGlass I know tore his hands up pretty good from that marathon grade 5 bolt session he did back in the day.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jaden Majensky said:

I'm sure @Donc101 would have some good stuff to share from his crazy marathon bends and maybe even @AdamTGlass I know tore his hands up pretty good from that marathon grade 5 bolt session he did back in the day.

Luckily, no serious injuries ever for me. Just a minor tweak or 2. I have had lots of tears though. These 2 pics are probably worst pics I have. Blood running down hands after bending 102 reds and bloody pad after a snapping session.

1001841B-7AA4-4F47-8749-8D52CD71C6A8.jpeg

0C26A8E9-6683-42A7-9324-FA1DB894E5A6.jpeg

• Like 6

On 5/18/2020 at 2:41 AM, Jaden Majensky said:

I'm not too sure if anybody would be into this idea but I think this could be a cool topic to expand on. Anybody in the steel bending community who has any stories or cool videos of getting tuned up by a piece of steel this could be the place to share that. Could also be educational to some new guys coming up on how to possibly avoid injury. Let me know what y'all think! 

Considering the topic heading, I think it's a rather good idea.

Apart from permanently damaging some ligaments  in a couple of finger joints doing sub 5.5" bending ("Ouch! that hurt") , I've only ever had minor issues with finger blisters and some really pesky callouses near my thumb webbing over the years.

A small number of members have admitted injuring themselves rather badly (wasn't there a member who used paper wraps and came off second best ???).  

As addictive as bending stuff is, I reckon sometimes newbie benders can seriously underestimate the dangers - so some examples of what happens when things go wrong would be quite enlightening.

This thread should be the place for it

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, gripmaniac said:

Apart from permanently damaging some ligaments  in a couple of finger joints doing sub 5.5" bending ("Ouch! that hurt") , I've only ever had minor issues with finger blisters and some really pesky callouses near my thumb webbing over the years.

A small number of members have admitted injuring themselves rather badly (wasn't there a member who used paper wraps and came off second best ???).  

As addictive as bending stuff is, I reckon sometimes newbie benders can seriously underestimate the dangers - so some examples of what happens when things go wrong would be quite enlightening.

Couldn't agree more with you. Not trying to toot my own horn or anything at all but I'm no newbie to steel bending as most of you know anyways. Yet I still have made plenty of mistakes from piercing my hand due to being an idiot and carelessly wrapping a nail to this freak accident I just had. Unfortunately though YouTube especially, is filled with tons of these "old-time strongmen" gurus who "teach" people how to do this stuff without making the risks known as if it's some kind of party trick. I've already invested literal blood and sweat and still have miles to go before I will ever be satisfied. But like I said before, I think especially for the people who are new should be aware as to just what they're getting into. I'm sure there have been tons of people who try this one or two times just for shits and gigs and end up really hurting themselves. I wish steel bending was more mainstream period... But I understand that it's an acquired taste for one to get into it heavily.

• Like 2

A good general topic.

I have never had any big accidents or hurtings. Only lots of skin tears and the nerves of my indexfingers are not as they were before but that is all ok.

Biggest part to avoid injurys is in my opinion to prepare slowly the body to this kind of force in the bending game. Don't try to bend extrem hard in every session, start slowly and rise from time to time to bigger bars. Also always work on better technique because this is a very important aspect for safe and good bending.

Another big part is rehab / prehab and flexibility work for the bodyparts which are forced in bending.

Keep the body smooth and hear to the body signals is always a good option to avoid injurys in general.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2020 at 5:00 AM, gripmaniac said:

Jup, I've heard of  blown rotator cuffs and broken or otherwise seriously damaged wrists...

Most people in grip/bending just don't advertise their injuries, as far as I can tell.

...imho it's also down to the extra stubborn individuals that seem to get attracted to steel bending...

• Like 3