Inch dumbbell question

mfin77

My goal is to lift the inch dumbbell. I’m wondering if it would be wise to buy a smaller inch dB like 150 pound.  I’m wondering if this will help me toward my goal. I have a couple of rollers but I pretty much been stuck on the same weight for a while.  Any input greatly appreciated. 

Yes actual dumbells are better to train with. You can do more exercises than with a rolling handle. You can only do about 8 different exercises with RH and with  dumbbells you can do more and it's way more similar to the Inch, since it's also a dumbbell.

You could just use a loadable dumbbell, which will be more versatile and save you some money. Just make sure that the weights is very tight so that it behaves like a solid dumbbell.

The wrist wrench is also a good training tool.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WestSlope said:

I like the FBBC Pro trainer. You can make smaller jumps in weight by using magnets so progressive overload is more convenient. If you have standard weight plates this is the most specific way to train to lift an Inch in my opinion.

I lifted the first proper Inch replica I ever touched by training with my FBBC Pro and later picked a double by training with two of the Pro's. The Pro dumbbells felt a bit harder to hold than the replicas.

Those handles are a bit thicker than the Inch as well, right? 2.5"?

5 hours ago, WestSlope said:

I like the FBBC Pro trainer. You can make smaller jumps in weight by using magnets so progressive overload is more convenient. If you have standard weight plates this is the most specific way to train to lift an Inch in my opinion.

I lifted the first proper Inch replica I ever touched by training with my FBBC Pro and later picked a double by training with two of the Pro's. The Pro dumbbells felt a bit harder to hold than the replicas.

Just saw these on the website. Looks pretty good, especially for the price.  Do you have to tighten these things up everytime you use them. 
do they come apart easy?

25 minutes ago, mfin77 said:

Just saw these on the website. Looks pretty good, especially for the price.  Do you have to tighten these things up everytime you use them. 
do they come apart easy?

Not sure if you use bolts but if you use a threaded bar and a nut they will never come loose if you tighten them with all the power you got.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

That's right. The Pro handle is right at 2.5" and smooth where as my Inch handle is ~2.4" with some texture from the casting.

Ok, that's a significant difference. I've tried some fatgripz, on my dumbbells they are 2.5". Can deinitely feel it a lot more in the fingertips at that diameter.

I’ve never lifted an Inch or 172 on a FBBC trainer.  I’ve hit 147 on a FBBC trainer, and that was after 3 years of intermittent work.  I get the itch to lift the Inch every couple of months, and have almost bought one a couple times.  I’m really not that serious about it, and I would probably end up with a cool toy that tied up a lot of money.  My trainers are set up at 2x100 for farmers carries and 75lbs for cleans and snatches.  If my goals change so can the handles.  Plus the 150 Inch is a big lift and nothing to scoff at.  

If you drop the FBBCs a lot they will loosen up eventually, especially if there’s less than an inch of bolt going into the handle. It’s not a big deal to tighten them back up. 

1” bolts aren’t cheap, so there’s some additional cost if you want to scale a trainer handle up and down.

5 hours ago, PaulFord said:

1” bolts aren’t cheap, so there’s some additional cost if you want to scale a trainer handle up and down.

What does additional cost to scale a trainer handle up or down mean? Thanks 

50 minutes ago, mfin77 said:

What does additional cost to scale a trainer handle up or down mean? Thanks 

If you had few plates on you need a short bolt, lots of plates need a long bolt. You could get around this by using some sort of spacer but that may get in the way for some lifts

5 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

If you had few plates on you need a short bolt, lots of plates need a long bolt. You could get around this by using some sort of spacer but that may get in the way for some lifts

So if I use  a lighter dumbbell for snatches, I have to change the bolt because then the weights flop around? So then I need to order a couple of different size bolts? 

The handle is 4” long and you get half that per side. Andrew says that you need a minimum of 1/2” of thread engagement but IME 3/4” is preferred minimum. Best case you’re getting 1.5” of adjustment out of a set of bolts. 

I have sets of bolts for 65-75lbs, 80-95, 100-125, 125-135, 140-150.  At $9-15 per bolt, I probably have $160 tied 7 pairs of bolts.  Here’s a chart for Ader pancakes and there width.  The handle bolts, and a pair of 1.25’s will be close enough to 10 pounds, then it’s just a matter of measuring the weight stack and getting bolts that are the right length.

574EF399-593A-40D8-9B54-596FEEFC50A9.thumb.jpeg.4db8dbb81d36217031bc19c7037dc9cd.jpeg

1 minute ago, mfin77 said:

This makes so much sense. Thanks 

and you can’t use 25lb plates?  

I don’t see why not. I contemplating buying 4 X 20 the other day to put together a hundo with extra spin.  Panic buying by others saved me wasting that money. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mfin77 said:

This makes so much sense. Thanks 

and you can’t use 25lb plates?  

You could use any size plate, but if the goal is to lift a real inch then people like to recreate its dimensions as close as possible so usually use smaller plates. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Climber028 said:

You could use any size plate, but if the goal is to lift a real inch then people like to recreate its dimensions as close as possible so usually use smaller plates. 

Can be good to use larger plates since it will make the lift harder.

The important thing is to never brace the arm against the plates, that will stop the rotation completely.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WestSlope said:

Totally agree with @Climber028. I use mostly 10's and try to taper out from the handle with smaller plates to avoid hand or wrist contact with the plates. If the plan is to train to lift the inch I think you want to have the same pick height and same or very similar rotation.

Training only with the Inch hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but if you can't be bothered with the neato Pro handle just lift a real Inch replica using your off hand to check the rotation. @AdamTGlass has a pretty recent Insta vid on a few ways to train in this manner. He *might* know a thing or two about picking heavy dumbbells.

I watch his Instagram videos, I’ll have to look again to look for this. Thx

One of the other nice things about the trainers is being able to work around the mind games. C19BF0A8-93B8-4A8D-9C2D-CD177602FAFF.thumb.jpeg.1f84df8e4d5425c842a9a9ede942cae2.jpeg

I was sucking wind this morning, cleaning 75lbs was incredibly difficult and snatches out of the questions. 5 minutes and 10 pounds lighter and the weight is flying. Certainly to a much greater degree than 10 pounds can explain. 

On 5/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, PaulFord said:

One of the other nice things about the trainers is being able to work around the mind games. C19BF0A8-93B8-4A8D-9C2D-CD177602FAFF.thumb.jpeg.1f84df8e4d5425c842a9a9ede942cae2.jpeg

I was sucking wind this morning, cleaning 75lbs was incredibly difficult and snatches out of the questions. 5 minutes and 10 pounds lighter and the weight is flying. Certainly to a much greater degree than 10 pounds can explain. 

What size screws is that 65lbs on. I’m gonna invest in one of these 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:46 PM, mfin77 said:

Not sure about those but I have 8 inch bolts for my trainer DB.

It’s not too hard to find 8 inch and smaller for cheap. 10 inch on the other hand...

8 hours ago, Bearhugger said:

Not sure about those but I have 8 inch bolts for my trainer DB.

It’s not too hard to find 8 inch and smaller for cheap. 10 inch on the other hand...

What can it be loaded up to?

On 5/24/2020 at 6:46 PM, mfin77 said:

6.25 inch bolts, 6.5” trimmed so that they almost kiss with 65lbs. They stay tight even with drops. 

2 hours ago, mfin77 said:

What can it be loaded up to?

160 plus the handle and bolts which is about 7-8 lbs I believe. Pretty close to the Inch and longer bolts let you add more weight obviously.

With 10" bolts and thin 10# plates I build a 225# pro dumbbell for Living Legends 2019. Needless to say it didn't move. :)

• Like 1

But I’d buy plates first and measure. 

Grainger if you have one in your neck of the woods, is a pretty good medium of availability and price for 1” bolts.  Or just order them In 2” increments from Andrew with the handle.