Volume training and feeder workouts.

Bartosz Robert

4 hours ago, Bartosz Robert said:

@Hopefully

I found a few articles that are an explanation for pump. I used Google: Pump and hypertrophy, muscle pump, hypertrophy, sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, myofibrillar hypertrophy. I've read it all and came to a conclusion: 

The way you are suggesting me to train is for strength. That's how myofibrillar hypertrophy works. 

Maybe on strength days I should do more technique and focus on doing things the correct way. 

I don't think the feeder workouts will hinder my recovery. I also know that that's not a way to build strength, but size helps with strength. 

@Paul Savage thank you for your understanding. 

Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy  is what I name the pump. Training for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy involves high number of reps. That's why I find that my muscles can recover quickly and workouts aren’t too strenuous. Central nervous system wise I could not train for strength x 4 or x 5 times a week.  In relation to the muscle gained that way, the strength gain is low. In a long run it's not a problem.

So you programmed workouts with a rep range of 80 reps? 

How long does it took for Becca to get to the hard #2,5? 

It took around 3 years doing grip to get to doing that. That was done after my shoulder operation. It was around 2 months after that I did that #2.5 ccs I think. I started with the strength shop 1 if I remember right then went up every session or two. I didn't get to finish the programme unfortunately, coc #3 was the goal but it's difficult to get enough time as I compete in strongwoman also.

We used those feeder workouts a lot in prep for the British championships with other exercises too and I won against Elizabeth who's the best ever in grip so they were effective!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

How strong someone is can largely be attributed to genetics and have very little to do with knowledge. Paul being stronger than me means absolutely nothing, I can never achieve his gripper strength even with the best coaching in the world.

Structurally he is a much bigger man than me. Compared our structure of the hands and forearms, his bones are bigger, the width of his wrist is double that of mine. He's got big muscular hands with good palm/finger proportions for closing grippers. He also outweighs me by probably 50-60kg. Besides the bodyweight, these things are what they are and nothing can change that, and certainly not by studying training. 

The fault of not being open minded falls on you, not me.

But like I said, I wanted to avoid this. It serves no purpose. Regardless of what I say you will respond with 'Paul this, Paul that'. I'm certain he is a competent coach who invests a lot of time and effort in his athletes and his own knowledge. 

I'm not going to do the pointless arguing on the internet thing, those days are long behind me, but I will say that you shouldn't be so pessimistic. The bodyweight wasnt just given to me, i had to work very hard to increase it, but it means very little when it comes to grip in reality (I've been roughly the same gripper strength at 95kg). My wrist is only 7 and 3/4 inch around and my hands are muscular because of the training I've done, they weren't just like that. The size is also actually not the best for grippers, the length makes ccs easier in one way as I can wrap my fingers around the handles more than most but it makes the close harder as I struggle to get my hand that tight and if the position is even slightly off have no chance. The width also means that my force is spread out a good ways up the gripper where physics is a lot less on my side. Grippers arnt actually made for large hands, they are designed for average hands to suit the masses. I also don't have any natural strength, couldn't close the #1 when I first started even after years of weights training and using my hands a lot fishing most my life. My max bench press was 35kg, deadlift 60kg etc I also recover slowly and get injured very easily. Ive seen night and day better genetics than me in loads of cases and yes some people are just freaks but I'm honestly not one of them (not that it's an excuse!).

The truth is you can achieve whatever you set your mind to you just have to figure out how to do it and have the will to do it. I wish you well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

The truth is you can achieve whatever you set your mind to you just have to figure out how to do it and have the will to do it. I wish you well.

This is the opposite of true. You can just do as much as your genetics allow you too. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Lennix said:

This is the opposite of true. You can just do as much as your genetics allow you too. 

Yes of course, but in reality that's so far above what the vast majority of people realise that saying anything is the same thing. There's probably nobody that has ever reached a genetic limit, and through my experience the single biggest factor in people not achieving what they can is lacking the belief they can do it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Maiche 25 said:

I also do 20 CCS repetitions with a 1.5 coc, logically a 2 coc should be possible with MMS, but this is not the case just sometimes when I am in good shape

The range of grippers I can close  varies from day to day. 

On some days I can use the RB adjustable on the 5-5 settings , close a ghp 6 (a weak rated 122), RB 210 (rated by my friend as a 124 gripper), or even close a weak #2,5. 

On the other days after just 5 - 6 reps with COC #1,5 I don't have any gas in tank. Same with other exercises. 

Two days without sleep and I can forget about grippers. 😕

• Like 1

Very interesting! Whether I am in good shape or not there are very few variations for my part, however I do not work on endurance at all. I have the impression that when I close the coc 2 rather easily I can quickly do a lot of repetitions with it and not necessarily close a coc 2.5 even weak like yours😑

@Maiche 25 on good days when I close a #2  5 times in a row, I can close this #2,5 too.  To close this #2 I've trained the close of  a #1 to 30 reps and a #1,5 to 20 reps. So I think that when I will be able to close a #2 10 times or even 15 times I will be able close a #2,5 on daily basis. So that my disposition will vary just on another scale. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2020 at 9:09 PM, Hopefully said:

I don't see the potential benefit. Like, what is the purpose? 100 reps wont lead to anything apart from endurance 

It could help with recovery.

And there is research that shows that very high reps (70-100) or long time under tension helps build passive structures, meaning tendons, ligaments and so on.

Louie Simmons had at least do his athletes high rep work for exactly that purpose. Not sure if they do that at Westside anymore.

Armwrestlers might have figured out the potential benefits of high reps work independently, as high reps work is fairly popular among AWers.