Does Anyone Train on a 3"?

Guest CanadaCrush

Guest CanadaCrush

Does anyone train on one? And if so, how much do you one handed deadlift/pick up with it? I just made a shotty one the other night using PVC pipe and found it quite a bit harder than I thought it would be.

-Mark

Guest Radiulis

I just last weekend bought a piece of home depot pvc elbow joint which accurately mimicks a 3" dumbell handle. I hang weight off of it (its hollow) via a chain. On my first try i got about 70 pounds, not an exceptionally fresh try though. I also bought a 4" diameter version of teh elbow joint and was working on it first (got 25 pounds average on that one). I hope to use these to boost my pinch grip as Tom Black mentioned he did with his Turk.

I bought a nice pair of 3inch dumbell handles

from PDA and after a bit of trying got 184lb

about 10 inches of the ground...It is part of

my grip gauntlet display at my office.Lotsa

fun!

Radiulis:

That sounds like a quick and great way to make a 3” handle.  Let the gripboard know if you also experience gains in your pinch grip.  I worked the 3” handled Turk real hard and it paid off in my pinch.  That  4” diameter piece is huge, I may go get one myself since I have been neglecting my mongo wide grip.

1stCOC,

Thanks for the details on your 3” handle lifting, I was curious what kind of weight you do on the 3” handle because I am going to use my progress on this handle to work up to the Inch dumbbell replica.  I wonder what the equivalent weight between the Turk and Inch dumbbell replica is, while the Turk is bigger, it does have the knurling.  By your numbers it almost seems like the Turk is easier, but I guess you could even do more weight on the Inch replica if it was adjustable.

That “grip gauntlet” sounds interesting.

Guest InchDisciple

Harder than the "Inch " dumbbell , is a dumbbell with an equally thick handle as the Inch but one that revolves . So it has the feel of a "Rolling Thunder "  lift , Much more difficult than a fixed solid dumbbell .

One of the challenges of thick handled lifts is to use a smooth handle . Using knurling such as is on the 3 '' PDA turk kind of spoils things .

Something to keep in mind about the 3" and the 4" that we got (Pedro, me and another friend ) is that it is smooth.   Smooth and non revolving.  I found them VERY hard to hold on to.  And I can definetely feel how they work pinch grip.  70 pounds is very impressive I think.  We should go get a 2.5" and see how much weight you can get on that.  It would basically be the EXACT same thing as the Inch DB, besides the inch having a smaller handle length.   The weight I lifted was so little, I won't even post it, not that I remember anyway.

At home depot we also bent nails, well... bolts.  I got a slight bend in the one I was working on.  I figured out a couple days later what I was doing wrong with the bend, and finished it.  Then I pulled it apart and broke it.  I did it barehanded, the breaking part.  Not sure if that means anything.

We also went to the sledge hammer section, and played with those.  I actually am really no good with leveraging, hehe.  Pedro did the 10lb sledges pretty easily.  Leveraging to the nose.  I think he could do more if we could just find some larger sledges.

We also messed with grippers when we got back from the store.    Then climbed trees.  Then Pedro installed a rope from a high branch of one of his trees.  We climbed this and swung on it, etc.

So we did a pretty complete grip workout I guess.  Nail bending, hammer leveraging, thick bar work, grippers, and rope climbing.

The end,

Michael Falkov

Guest CanadaCrush

I tried my max with the 3" last night. I was able to (barely) get 105lbs up about a foot. Like Quick Grip, my handle is smooth (pvc piping) and I found this to be a bother in getting a satisfactory initial grip.

-Mark