How to recover from rolling grip handles?

BIGMONEY9000

Tuesday was my very first day ever training my grip. I made my own what I guess would be custom fat gripz/rolling thunder handles since they can kinda roll, and are about 2.5inchs is diameter. Since I have never trained grip before I decided to just go ham like a dummy on pull ups with the handles. I did weighted pull ups (200lbbw+added weight) for 225×1, 235×1, 245×1, and a top single at 260, then I did bw pull ups and could only do 5 before my grip would fail (I can usually do 20-24 pull ups normally so this was very humbling lol), so I did 5×5 and then did 5×10 where I would lower myself slowly stop on the ground before pulling myself back up... This is probably the WORST soreness I have ever felt in my forearms even after 3 DAYS!!! Nonetheless it was still very enjoyable and I am looking forward to training grip more, but I was just wondering what I could do to help recover. I'd also like to know how often I should train grip with pull ups per week. Thanks!!! I know this is a lot of info.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:10 PM, BIGMONEY9000 said:

Tuesday was my very first day ever training my grip. I made my own what I guess would be custom fat gripz/rolling thunder handles since they can kinda roll, and are about 2.5inchs is diameter. Since I have never trained grip before I decided to just go ham like a dummy on pull ups with the handles. I did weighted pull ups (200lbbw+added weight) for 225×1, 235×1, 245×1, and a top single at 260, then I did bw pull ups and could only do 5 before my grip would fail (I can usually do 20-24 pull ups normally so this was very humbling lol), so I did 5×5 and then did 5×10 where I would lower myself slowly stop on the ground before pulling myself back up... This is probably the WORST soreness I have ever felt in my forearms even after 3 DAYS!!! Nonetheless it was still very enjoyable and I am looking forward to training grip more, but I was just wondering what I could do to help recover. I'd also like to know how often I should train grip with pull ups per week. Thanks!!! I know this is a lot of info.

I wouldn't recommend doing this kind of training more than once a week, even next week you could still not be recovered even but grip training can be done almost daily depending on how it's done and what your doing so it really does depend. All you can really do to recover is massage/rolling out your forearms along with plenty of good nutrition and sleep. Not to worry though, thickbar is extremely harsh on the forearms :)especially if your not used to it. Other forms of grip training can be easier on you. 

Yes thick bar is very humbling, as most grip exercises are to be honest.

The extreme soreness will go away when you get used to it, it's the same thing as with leg training if you're not used to it you won't be able to walk for a while. If you're not used to thick bar training you won't be able to grip much for a good while. That's why you need to program your training smart.

• Like 1