$$$

Tommy J.

$100 to anyone who bends a big G8 unbraced in under 5 minutes. Ends of steel must be under 2”. Less than 1.5” wraps. EXPIRED

$50 to anyone who bends a 3/8”x7” grade 5 bolt braced in under 2.5 minutes. Ends of steel must be under 2”. Plot twist on this one! Must be done in cordura wraps. Doubles are fine, but must not exceed 1.5” wraps. EXPIRED

$25 to anyone who snaps a St. Croix forge ultra lite, braced, and using under 1.25” wraps. Completed!

video submissions obviously accepted. will be strict on these. Any loss of visibility of the steel from frame, even for a millisecond, after initial measurement results in non payment. Any video I deem unclear during measurements results in non payment. Anything other than continuous unedited video will result in non payment. Please no punning on unlisted rules. Funny stuff results in non payment. Benders will take the money, magicians go home broke.

deadline for submissions on this challenge will be next Friday, May 15th.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 9

Edit/update:

trapping of the horse shoe will be allowed. Since I think it may be the only way to snap it..

and any size ultralite will be permitted so long as it is an untampered shoe.

obviously the untampered rule applies to the other bends as well.

Edited by Tommy J.

Great one! This time I am out of it, but I hope to see these bends here.

7 hours ago, Horrido said:

Great one! This time I am out of it, but I hope to see these bends here.

😳

Are you injured?

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

😳

Are you injured?

No not injured, everything is fine. But only available bend for me is the Grade 8 and this is an absolute max bend and at the moment I am training after a good plan to reach my top in summer and then I want to destroy this Grade 8 thing.

I don't think that I am able to do this in the next 10 days.

• Sad 1

I went to the hardware store today and bought some 3/8 grade 5 bolts. I was going to do the braced bolt bend and the horseshoe snap in training today. That bolt is a beast! I gave it everything I had and it barely wobbled. Short braced bends may be my strongest type of bending and I felt like I was nowhere even close to bending it. Has that bend ever been done?

I feel like Tommy put the horseshoe snap on here just so he could watch some dumb bastard be miserable. Hahaha, turns out I was that guy! A lot harder than I thought it would be. My triceps are so exhausted right now. My left upper leg tissue is destroyed. I am sure I will have nasty bruising tomorrow. That being said, I want to do this again. I feel like I can get a lot faster. There were lots of break lines all over on the shoe. I need to figure out how to place more pressure in one place. I just crushed the shoe, flipped and crushed back. How have other people snapped shoes? Is this something a lot of people have done?

Thanks for the challenges Tommy! 

B3269176-BDD1-4CE0-9040-7EB289CFBB19.jpeg

C2E02D7E-81F3-4B23-9F23-AEE6E8DC5D9A.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Donc101 said:

I went to the hardware store today and bought some 3/8 grade 5 bolts. I was going to do the braced bolt bend and the horseshoe snap in training today. That bolt is a beast! I gave it everything I had and it barely wobbled. Short braced bends may be my strongest type of bending and I felt like I was nowhere even close to bending it. Has that bend ever been done?

I feel like Tommy put the horseshoe snap on here just so he could watch some dumb bastard be miserable. Hahaha, turns out I was that guy! A lot harder than I thought it would be. My triceps are so exhausted right now. My left upper leg tissue is destroyed. I am sure I will have nasty bruising tomorrow. That being said, I want to do this again. I feel like I can get a lot faster. There were lots of break lines all over on the shoe. I need to figure out how to place more pressure in one place. I just crushed the shoe, flipped and crushed back. How have other people snapped shoes? Is this something a lot of people have done?

Thanks for the challenges Tommy! 

B3269176-BDD1-4CE0-9040-7EB289CFBB19.jpeg

C2E02D7E-81F3-4B23-9F23-AEE6E8DC5D9A.jpeg

Yessir. Tim Tolbert could do one pretty quick.

Killer bend on the shoe! I think you’ll get that way quicker next time!

if I can get more ultra lites I’ll post a vid up also.

• Like 4

But no, not picking on anyone with these bends. The bends I picked in previous threads were apparently too easy. Taking less than about 12 hours to be mopped up on both occasions.

had to step it up this time. Otherwise I’m giving reward for sub effort bends from some of you powerhouses. As mentioned previously, the challenge bends will only get harder from here.

• Like 3

The right decision.

Ok you got me! I will try this bolt in the next days. This (bad word filter)er stopped me several times. Let's see how it will goes this time....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

But no, not picking on anyone with these bends. The bends I picked in previous threads were apparently too easy. Taking less than about 12 hours to be mopped up on both occasions.

had to step it up this time. Otherwise I’m giving reward for sub effort bends from some of you powerhouses. As mentioned previously, the challenge bends will only get harder from here.

I was just joking Tommy. Brutal snap, but fun. I will try again sometime to do faster.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Yessir. Tim Tolbert could do one pretty quick.

Killer bend on the shoe! I think you’ll get that way quicker next time!

if I can get more ultra lites I’ll post a vid up also.

Do you use that trapping method when snapping? What techniques have you seen done? What seems most effective?

Thats bad ass Tim Tolbert did the bolt. I will try to find his video.

Fun challenge! Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Do you use that trapping method when snapping? What techniques have you seen done? What seems most effective?

Thats bad ass Tim Tolbert did the bolt. I will try to find his video.

Fun challenge! Thanks!

I’ve not snapped a new shoe, but have broken a used work hardened shoe that came off a horse. That one broke just trying to heart it. I think it was DC?.. don’t know the size tho since that part of the shoe was worn down and not legible.

i intend to try it unbraced (since it’s an UL) and also trapped. I’ll skip the over the leg version if I can. Looks WAY exhausting! No telling which technique is best. 

Also, I’m sort of wondering if thicker shoes may even be better for snapping?.. the UL’s always seemed kind of gummy.

also, if you can get in touch with him, ask him directly for video. If I’m not mistaken, others have mentioned seeing it in person as well. As far as short bars bent braced, I think he still may be the guy to beat?

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

....ok... this explains a lot! 😄 

On 5/5/2020 at 11:56 PM, Tommy J. said:

$25 to anyone who snaps a St. Croix forge ultra lite, braced, and using under 1.25” wraps.

Do you accept other shoes as well? I don't have an UL, but after seeing Don's post on Insta, I snapped a TDR 16x8 yesterday, which is harder anyway... Correct wraps, but no video, but I am sure I can duplicate the feat, as soon as the pain in my leg reliefs 😄 

I can have a look later, which easy shoes I have...

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Also, I’m sort of wondering if thicker shoes may even be better for snapping?.. the UL’s always seemed kind of gummy.

...I don't think so! 😄 

But I had shoes break (not on purpose of course) at the first bend, it they are even thinner than the ULs and I had shoes break, which had the first hole on the very near tip of the shoe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, camz said:

....ok... this explains a lot! 😄 

Do you accept other shoes as well? I don't have an UL, but after seeing Don's post on Insta, I snapped a TDR 16x8 yesterday, which is harder anyway... Correct wraps, but no video, but I am sure I can duplicate the feat, as soon as the pain in my leg reliefs 😄 

I can have a look later, which easy shoes I have...

Badass!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 4:22 AM, Horrido said:

The right decision.

Ok you got me! I will try this bolt in the next days. This (bad word filter)er stopped me several times. Let's see how it will goes this time....

I totally missed this post! Apologies Jan!

and yes! Can’t wait to see you smash this bend!

• Like 2

164023730_.thumb.jpg.365ad01b255cff737d81ea0d96627f2f.jpg

Hi guys. My attemp snap TDR #1 8min 34 sec:) I also tried to snap the SX 7 # 000. It broke only into two parts, somehow I'll try to snap DF # 3 .

Edited by Vankovich_Kirill
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Vankovich_Kirill said:

Hi guys. My attemp snap TDR #1 8min 34 sec:) I also tried to snap the SX 7 # 000. It broke only into two parts, somehow I'll try to snap DF # 3 .

Really really cool!

I had to rewrap the pads every few hits. But I think I can go a lot faster than 15 minutes on the TDR. 

How did you manage it, to break it in 3 pieces? Did you do one break first and then the other? Or did you start the two breaks at the same time?

Outstanding feat without a question!

The DF #3 would be sick! Hope you will get it!!!

4 minutes ago, camz said:

Really really cool!

I had to rewrap the pads every few hits. But I think I can go a lot faster than 15 minutes on the TDR. 

How did you manage it, to break it in 3 pieces? Did you do one break first and then the other? Or did you start the two breaks at the same time?

Outstanding feat without a question!

The DF #3 would be sick! Hope you will get it!!!

Two at once, I immediately made a heart and straightened up in turn so that they snap simultaneously. I can find the video, I did it about a year ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vankovich_Kirill said:

Two at once, I immediately made a heart and straightened up in turn so that they snap simultaneously. I can find the video, I did it about a year ago.

Ok! Thank you! Makes perfect sense! Will try the single snap first and if I find another TDR will try for the double!

How long did it take, to break the SX7 #000?

Edited by camz

25 minutes ago, camz said:

Ok! Thank you! Makes perfect sense! Will try the single snap first and if I find another TDR will try for the double!

How long did it take, to break the SX7 #000?

About 20 minutes, it is very small and uncomfortable ..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vankovich_Kirill said:

About 20 minutes, it is very small and uncomfortable ..

Awesome! With the double snap, are you switching which leg you open after every open/ close?

14 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Awesome! With the double snap, are you switching which leg you open after every open/ close?

Thanks! Try the red nail immediately into three parts, it will teach you to snap each side in turn, otherwise snap into three will not work)

• Like 1