Testing primates’ grip

ChimpGrip

Well I’ve reached out to the Houston Zoo about conducting strength tests, looks like it could be a go later this year or early 2021, if they approve the idea. They’ve got chimps, orangutans, and gorillas in enclosures. 

I was going to bring hand grippers for the test if allowed. Namely my #3, #4, GHP 10, and Thor grippers. What would you guys like to see?

Sorry, bored out of my mind at home and want to talk something grip, something that’s been discussed little to none. 

• Haha 1

Will you also be using a digital dynamometer to get some numbers? That might be easier to publish, and would also take less "technique".

• Like 4

1 minute ago, devinhoo said:

Will you also be using a digital dynamometer to get some numbers? That might be easier to publish, and would also take less "technique".

I don’t have one of those but I’ll probably purchase one before doing this. Want to buy a nice, quality one though. I do agree though numbers would be more precise and easier to grasp for those who are unfamiliar with grip.

Yes dynamos is the way to go and give them incentive to squeeze really hard. No bananas if they are too weak, only the strong get bananas and the harder they squeeze the more bananas they get :D 

It will be interesting to know how you and the care takers incentivize them to grip. I am also guessing you are going to have to somehow attach the grippers and dynamometer to something they can't take off with (like a bar on the enclosure) because I am not sure how you would get the gripper back if Cheetah/Bobo/Grape Ape/Kong doesn't want to give it back. 

• Haha 3

IronMind news some time in 2021

BoBo the chimpanzee and Joe the gorilla became the first non-human primates to certify on the Captains of Crush 3 and 4 respectively yesterday at the Houston Zoo.

"Me and the weird Zoo guy right over there have been at hard work with the apes since mid 2020" Gripboard member ChimpGrip told IrondMind when asked about how in the hell he managed to teach them the credit card set.

Congratulations BoBo and Joe, your names have been added to the certification list. IronMind will be donating a box of delicious bananas to the Houston Zoo.

- Randall J. Strossen

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anemptybox said:

BoBo the chimpanzee and Joe the gorilla became the first non-human primates to certify on the Captains of Crush 3 and 4 respectively yesterday at the Houston Zoo.

"Me and the weird Zoo guy right over there have been at hard work with the apes since mid 2020" Gripboard member ChimpGrip told IrondMind when asked about how in the hell he managed to teach them the credit card set.

Congratulations BoBo and Joe, your names have been added to the certification list. IronMind will be donating a box of delicious bananas to the Houston Zoo.

- Randall J. Strossen

Would love to run a few of them through the Crushed to Dust challenge.

Gold Nail in single IMPs.  Would love to see the transition from sweep to crush, I bet we could learn a lot.

I'm afraid the only way to get reliable results with the monkeys is to make them mad with anger ... The force tests that have already been done on chimpanzees have all been on raging animals, generally most mammals have a calm mode where they make very little use of their athletic ability and another extremely violent one in which they give everything. I very much hope that you will succeed in passing them tests but it will be difficult to obtain both cooperation and maximum strength.😧

• Like 1

Would be fun to get them to lift a rolling thunder :D 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Would be fun to get them to lift a rolling thunder :D 

Handle is probably too small for a gorilla :laugh

Just now, Fist of Fury said:

Handle is probably too small for a gorilla :laugh

2 finger lift 200kg :D 

I think the orangutan has the best hands for lifting stuff. The gorilla is stronger and is better to crush and destroy stuff, punch thru walls etc :D 

21 hours ago, Anemptybox said:

- Randall J. Strossen

You left off the closing paragraph:

Tragically, official witness Tommy Jennings, Jr. (Coc ‘13) passed away within minutes after the closings. A Zoo Representative told IronMind that BoBo indicated he wanted to hold the Number 4 gripper, but Jennings refused to hand it over, implying BoBo was not strong enough. Authorities continue to investigate.

Edited by Hubgeezer

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 1:57 PM, Blackjaw said:

I am also guessing you are going to have to somehow attach the grippers and dynamometer to something they can't take off with (like a bar on the enclosure) because I am not sure how you would get the gripper back if Cheetah/Bobo/Grape Ape/Kong doesn't want to give it back. 

Or if it decides to kill everyone standing near it with the handy dandy handheld gripper slaughter device. 

19 minutes ago, bencrush said:

Or if it decides to kill everyone standing near it with the handy dandy handheld gripper slaughter device. 

Just don't give them an anvil, they might kill somebody by accident. I wonder how far a gorilla would throw one :D

They are a lot more friendly than humans, so there should not be a problem. The only thing the might fight about would be bananas :D 

16 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Just don't give them an anvil, they might kill somebody by accident. I wonder how far a gorilla would throw one :D

You just nailed the greatest reality show ever - a gorilla is provided various objects to throw or break. Instant hit 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

You just nailed the greatest reality show ever - a gorilla is provided various objects to throw or break. Instant hit 

I am not on my own computer right now, so I can't get the link.  You youngsters (it's relative Adam) need to Google "1971 American Tourister Gorilla Commercial". My favorite commercial as a teen.

2 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Don't give the Japanese any ideas now :D

It would be fun to see tho.