Grippers weak on wide set closes/ blob “cheat” lifts?

Noobishindi

I’m struggling to strengthen wide set gripper closes (credit card sets, or sets outside of parallel). With a coc 3, if close it with 2 hands, I can hold the handles well within parallel for sets of 5-7 seconds with one hand.

If I attempt a ghp6 from a set where the handles are outside of parallel, I barely break parallel. My training has only ever been negative holds with a gripper beyond what I can close so I’ve never really trained credit card closes or any closes outside of parallel, something in switching to now. Would work sets just consist of closing as far as I can with one hand and holding it for a period of time? Is there anything else I can do to help strengthen this area? 

I have a blobette (loadable blob) that weighs 37.5lbs currently. If I lift it where only the first digit of my thumb is on one end and fingers on the other side, tilting slightly towards my fingers as I lift, I can hold the blobette for 4-11 seconds, depending on variable factors (chalk, fatigue, my hand set not being perfect, etc). If I try the same blobette with the entirety of my thumb on the side, it barely rocks. I feel as though the first way is almost cheating, I barely feel anything in the thumb muscles and the blobette gives out because of a lack of friction/chalk slipping/slick surface, whereas having the full thumb on the blob feels like I’m working the thumb more. Would one work the thumb more than the other? Should any of his matter? 

Ive also struggled with the blobette being so slick, some day the chalk stays put and adheres well to the surface, other days all of chalk itself scrapes off as the blob slips out of my grip, and I’m left with a chalky blob with clean stripes where’s my fingers cleaned the chalk straight off the face!

Edited by Noobishindi

With negatives you are pretty much just going to get stronger at negatives as  grippers are primarily a crush grip exercise and your not working the actual crushing part. You need to be closing grippers from credit card, starting with a light one doing a bunch of reps and volume. Wide pinch is good to assist the sweep and thumb strength needed to hold the gripper in position but I'd use some kind of block or plates not a blob as yes it won't be as consistent, doesn't have as much carryover and typically that's going too wide (try to replicate a similar width to where the hand is in credit card position).

Edited by Paul Savage
  • Like 2