520kg deadlift!!!???

king crusher

22 hours ago, king crusher said:

Thor is doing his attempt with the same type of suit Eddie used and same straps. It's not two belts it's a belt with a elastic back brace type thing most ppl use when they tweak their back.

Deadlift suit is said to add about 60lbs for most.

Deadlift suits are weird for conventional pullers.  If you are super strong off the floor, but weak on the lockout, you get almost nothing.  In fact, I've known a couple guys that fit this category who could lift more without a suit.  Conversely, if you are weak off the floor and strong from the knees up, you can get some decent help.  I've seen some guys claim 50-60 lbs.  It's really tough to get into proper position with a suit in a conventional stance and causes a lot of guys to round their backs.  

Sumo is a different game.  If you are used to wide stance squatting in a suit, you can get an extra 100 lbs or more out of a competition tight suit.

I've pulled in a suit and I am relatively weak off the floor.  I got 15 lbs conventional out of the suit at my best.  600 vs. 615 if that helps.  

These were 24 days apart so strength was very similar.  I almost couldn't get my lower back flat to pull.  I hated the suit.

• Like 2

If you are super strong off the floor, but weak on the lockout, you get almost nothing. 

This be me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anemptybox said:

I believe I understand everyone's reasoning about this WR debate going around, but to take an extreme example: What if the world is on lockdown so no big contest can take place for ten years due to the virus, does that mean we'll go ten years without an official WR?

I agree. It also cheats a possible greatest deadlifter ever (or any strength athlete) out of anything official. Which should be considered by true iron enthusiasts more of a blasphemy than a questionable location of a WR.

to answer the concern of if it would become a “thing” in the future to count gym lifts as WRs? I think no. Not unless a worldwide pandemic is still running the show. It’s gonna be a 1 off. Not including the other strongman WRs happening under similar conditions that no one is paying attention to. (Stone lift, etc)

and to be honest, thinking we will see a slew of crazy world records set at home is a bit of a stretch.. let’s not forget that you literally have to be the strongest person ever at a said lift to best a WR at a said lift. And it’s not like there are more than 1 guy even walking the planet that can 501K+ deadlift from the floor, no matter the gear they use.

Example, I’ve yet to see a single home or gym video of anyone besting Benni’s raw DL. Or Eddies geared DL. Or Julius’ raw bench. Etc etc etc.

Edited by Tommy J.

33 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I agree. It also cheats a possible greatest deadlifter ever (or any strength athlete) out of anything official. Which should be considered by true iron enthusiasts more of a blasphemy than a questionable location of a WR.

to answer the concern of if it would become a “thing” in the future to count gym lifts as WRs? I think no. Not unless a worldwide pandemic is still running the show. It’s gonna be a 1 off. Not including the other strongman WRs happening under similar conditions that no one is paying attention to. (Stone lift, etc)

and to be honest, thinking we will see a slew of crazy world records set at home is a bit of a stretch.. let’s not forget that you literally have to be the strongest person ever at a said lift to best a WR at a said lift. And it’s not like there are more than 1 guy even walking the planet that can 501K+ deadlift from the floor, no matter the gear they use.

Example, I’ve yet to see a single home or gym video of anyone besting Benni’s raw DL. Or Eddies geared DL. Or Julius’ raw bench. Etc etc etc.

That markolov guy came out of nowhere pulled 470kg in comp and got 501kg near his knees. So theres also him.

I think thors attempt will be live streamed too right?

• Like 1

Gym lifts versus competition lifts.  MY thoughts

·       We’ve all showed up at the gym and it was just one of those “magic” days when everything felt light – the stars were aligned – and you were in the zone.   It’s not something you can plan and say “on this day 3 months from now it will be one of those days”.  This to me is one of the single biggest differences when it comes to counting “gym lifts”.  Peaking or whatever you want to call it sometimes happens when least expected.  Now would everything be set up for a true WR attempt – camera, judges, witnesses, official scale etc. on one of those days - probably not but at some level a decision needs made as to a “gym lift” WR and rules put forth.  This is the Grip Board and we see a lot of “records” being claimed in normal training situations.  To me anyway having a video, a scale, and your wife as a witness doesn’t make a “record” – it may verify one heck of a lift but not a “Record”.

·       Single versus multiple event contests differences are rather obvious.

·       Other competitors versus just you.  Could be a plus or a minus depending how you’re wired.  Trying to beat another person in the meet is different than trying deliberately for a World Record.

·       Pressure – your home gym – your friends and family – your schedule - your time of day – you can set the stage to suit you.  Warm ups can take as long or short as you like – you never have to wait on a bar – or bench etc.  There are a million variables out of your control at a contest with other people at a strange gym.

·       Equipment – your gym equals your bar (for a DL this can be a big deal) – no surprises with knurling, stiffness etc.

A couple general comments

·       If Strongman intends to allow events like this then equipment and rules need to be defined narrowly like in other Federations – just saying unlimited may not be enough.  Maybe this already exists?  I haven’t followed this really – just comments on forums which certainly isn’t the place to get good information.  It looks like Thor is covering all “my bases” as far as announcing a specific time and place and trying to match Eddies way of doing the lift – but some rules set forth would be nice going forward by the organization.  I’d like to see it done in a “normal” competition setting of course just to see if any of the other big dead lifters out there might want a shot too.  That level of pressure could push the Record even higher possibly – or not.

·       It looks like all the publicity has made this a bigger deal than when it all started – this thing is going to be dissected down to the smallest details – which I think is a good thing.  There may not be a definitive rule set but it appears its being done in a very strict manner to eliminate controversy.

As to the Virus - I think this shall pass given some time - how much time - who the heck knows - there seems to be a lot of pressure both ways - reopen or not?

Now I haven’t said a darn thing you all haven’t already thought of but some of my friends outside of here are asking me about what I think so this is written for them as much as you bozos here on the board with a better knowledge base.

• Like 2

He should zoom in Julius for a bench WR attempt and Jamal Browner for a run at Benni's record.  That would be cool.  

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

He should zoom in Julius for a bench WR attempt and Jamal Browner for a run at Benni's record.  That would be cool.  

Jamal browner has zero chance of doing that as he can't lift those big numbers without straps and not to mention he pulls sumo which is not comparable to conventional and never should be imo. It's a different lift that works different muscles with less rom.

37 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Gym lifts versus competition lifts.  MY thoughts

·       We’ve all showed up at the gym and it was just one of those “magic” days when everything felt light – the stars were aligned – and you were in the zone.   It’s not something you can plan and say “on this day 3 months from now it will be one of those days”.  This to me is one of the single biggest differences when it comes to counting “gym lifts”.  Peaking or whatever you want to call it sometimes happens when least expected.  Now would everything be set up for a true WR attempt – camera, judges, witnesses, official scale etc. on one of those days - probably not but at some level a decision needs made as to a “gym lift” WR and rules put forth.  This is the Grip Board and we see a lot of “records” being claimed in normal training situations.  To me anyway having a video, a scale, and your wife as a witness doesn’t make a “record” – it may verify one heck of a lift but not a “Record”.

·       Single versus multiple event contests differences are rather obvious.

·       Other competitors versus just you.  Could be a plus or a minus depending how you’re wired.  Trying to beat another person in the meet is different than trying deliberately for a World Record.

·       Pressure – your home gym – your friends and family – your schedule - your time of day – you can set the stage to suit you.  Warm ups can take as long or short as you like – you never have to wait on a bar – or bench etc.  There are a million variables out of your control at a contest with other people at a strange gym.

·       Equipment – your gym equals your bar (for a DL this can be a big deal) – no surprises with knurling, stiffness etc.

A couple general comments

·       If Strongman intends to allow events like this then equipment and rules need to be defined narrowly like in other Federations – just saying unlimited may not be enough.  Maybe this already exists?  I haven’t followed this really – just comments on forums which certainly isn’t the place to get good information.  It looks like Thor is covering all “my bases” as far as announcing a specific time and place and trying to match Eddies way of doing the lift – but some rules set forth would be nice going forward by the organization.  I’d like to see it done in a “normal” competition setting of course just to see if any of the other big dead lifters out there might want a shot too.  That level of pressure could push the Record even higher possibly – or not.

·       It looks like all the publicity has made this a bigger deal than when it all started – this thing is going to be dissected down to the smallest details – which I think is a good thing.  There may not be a definitive rule set but it appears its being done in a very strict manner to eliminate controversy.

As to the Virus - I think this shall pass given some time - how much time - who the heck knows - there seems to be a lot of pressure both ways - reopen or not?

Now I haven’t said a darn thing you all haven’t already thought of but some of my friends outside of here are asking me about what I think so this is written for them as much as you bozos here on the board with a better knowledge base.

Most of your list doesnt apply to Thors attempt.  The date is pre set for this thing just like a contest. It's also not being held at his own gym. I believe it will be live streamed and of course I'm sure the weights will be verified. 

A bit different than a gym lift or one of us taking a video from our home gym in the basement or garage. 

I'm not decided how I feel about it but they are doing the best they can to legitimize this. If he indeed blows the 500kg out of the water I'll call that a legit crushing of the record. 

13 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Jamal browner has zero chance of doing that as he can't lift those big numbers without straps and not to mention he pulls sumo which is not comparable to conventional and never should be imo. It's a different lift that works different muscles with less rom.

He pulled 971 strapless in a contest.  Largest DL ever in a full three lift PL meet at any bodyweight.  He figured out the hook grip.  He's pulled more than that strapless in training.

He does pull sumo, but that is within the rules and has been going on since the 70s.  Jamal is going to break Benni's record barring injury.

Skip to 5:45 on the below vid for him pulling 881 for almost a triple strapless.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

He pulled 971 strapless in a contest.  Largest DL ever in a full three lift PL meet at any bodyweight.  He figured out the hook grip.  He's pulled more than that strapless in training.

He does pull sumo, but that is within the rules and has been going on since the 70s.  Jamal is going to break Benni's record barring injury.

Skip to 5:45 on the below vid for him pulling 881 for almost a triple strapless.

I retract my statement about strapless guess he figured that out but I still would personally consider conventional more impressive than sumo. 

I just hope Thor beaks the record so definitively that Eddie Hall will shut the f&%$ up about it. Honestly there way is more to strongman than "who can deadlift the most weight" and this obsession is taking away from the sport more than any "unsportsmanlike conduct" that the athletes are drumming up.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Most of your list doesnt apply to Thors attempt.  The date is pre set for this thing just like a contest. It's also not being held at his own gym. I believe it will be live streamed and of course I'm sure the weights will be verified. 

A bit different than a gym lift or one of us taking a video from our home gym in the basement or garage. 

I'm not decided how I feel about it but they are doing the best they can to legitimize this. If he indeed blows the 500kg out of the water I'll call that a legit crushing of the record. 

Yeah - this was written for some friends of mine who have asked about it - it applies to a mixture of  Thor's lift and the bunch of Gym Lifts being thrown out there as WRs - especially in Grip.

Just now, devinhoo said:

I just hope Thor beaks the record so definitively that Eddie Hall will shut the f&%$ up about it. Honestly there way is more to strongman than "who can deadlift the most weight" and this obsession is taking away from the sport more than any "unsportsmanlike conduct" that the athletes are drumming up.

Eddie is pretty annoying about this whole thing and I like watching Eddie he is a funny guy.

20 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I retract my statement about strapless guess he figured that out but I still would personally consider conventional more impressive than sumo. 

I would agree.  At least he doesn't do the super duper wide sumo like some of these guys.  I literally have no idea how they aren't all crushing their toes.  I know most hop their feet out of the way right before the weight lands, but to me that should mean a no lift.  Honestly, his sumo isn't a lot wider than giant Thor's wide conventional.  Plus he weighs about 150 less.  Lol.

7 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Eddie is pretty annoying about this whole thing and I like watching Eddie he is a funny guy.

My only beef about Eddie is he is so dramatic.  Like every lift almost kills him.  The 500 dl and just about every max effort lift on that History Channel show was like watching William Shatner over act.  Lol

• Like 2

Thor will just walk around nonchalantly after the record not lay down with blood oozing out of every orifice lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, king crusher said:

That markolov guy came out of nowhere pulled 470kg in comp and got 501kg near his knees. So theres also him.

I think thors attempt will be live streamed too right?

Yes, but am unsure of a link to the stream

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

My only beef about Eddie is he is so dramatic.  Like every lift almost kills him.  The 500 dl and just about every max effort lift on that History Channel show was like watching William Shatner over act.  Lol

Agreed. And he works so hard to make everyone believe that anyone who tries to best his 500k is going to die.

wouldnt it be hilarious if people in grip did his drama routine after their comp lifts?.. 😂

• Haha 1

I wonder what kind of blood pressure readings you would get on these guys during the lift?

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Agreed. And he works so hard to make everyone believe that anyone who tries to best his 500k is going to die.

wouldnt it be hilarious if people in grip did his drama routine after their comp lifts?.. 😂

Imagine doing it after a "massive key pinch" session lol. Just fall to the ground and start twitching uncontrollably 

• Haha 1

This is getting nuts. I have no doubt Thor has already pulled 500+kg in secret. 

He's now saying if he gets to 1mil subs on YouTube he will pull 530kg

Just now, king crusher said:

This is getting nuts. I have no doubt Thor has already pulled 500+kg in secret. 

He's now saying if he gets to 1mil subs on YouTube he will pull 530kg

When is this taking place?

10 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

When is this taking place?

WUS. Not calling you a wus. It takes place at Worlds Ultimate Strongman May 2nd!

He's looking so strong right now - I can believe 530