Injury question.

Guest Tobbster

Guest Tobbster

I seem to be unable to do any kind of wrist curls without pain in my wrist and in the back side of my lower forearms.  I have some trigger points, could that be it, or can some people just not perform wrist curls? According to Stuart McRobert, wrist curls can cause "orthopedic problems".

It sounds pretty bad. You should give it a rest, regardless.

Where on the back of your forearm does it hurt? Near the wrist, or further up?

How did you perform your wrist curls? Maximal bending back of the wrist? Extending fingers at the bottom for a little finger curl?

Yeah, doesn't sound good at all.  I'm actually just recovering from a minor injury that I believe was caused by wrist curls.  Solan's questions are important.  I was bending my wrists back as far as they could go and, in the process, letting the bar fall down my fingers a bit.  I believe that this caused the strain in my wrist.  

I took about a week-and-a-half off from all grip work with my injured hand (right) and just did wrist curls again last night with no problems.  However, I perform them much differently.  I noticed that David Horne's grip in the first issue of Iron Grip is an open thumb grip (i.e. thumb is on the same side of the bar as the rest of the fingers).  I tried this and it eliminated the tendency to let the bar fall down toward the tips of the finger.  I also did not use such a large range of motion as before, letting the back of my hand extend downward to about a 45 degree angle from parallel with the floor.

Give it a good rest for sure.  And if you find that can't do wrist curls, a wrist roller is not a bad alternative.

BC.

Yes, shorten the range of motion a bit, and never let the bar drop into your fingers as some bodybuilders do.

David

Guest Tobbster

The pain is on the back of the forearms about halfway between wrists and elbows, and on the outside of the left wrist. I don´t extend as much as I could do if I really tried. The pain is worst when I raise the weight and the palm is at,and above, parallell to the floor.

Guest Sean Tahirali

I had chronic problems with my right wrist for more than a year. I went to my GP and had x-rays taken, etc. but they came to no conclusions.

Anyway, within two weeks of starting to do finger extension exercises, as recommended by Stuart McRobert and others, the pain in my right wrist disappeared and it has felt healthier than it has in years ever since. I try to remember to do a few sets with rubber bands on the day after my regular grip training.

Something you might want to try if you don't do them already.

SDT