Installing a 250V plug for my new welder

Tommy J.

This exact job would have cost somewhere between $450-700 depending on the electrician. And who knows how much extra you might pay for an electrician to agree to come to your house right now due to the pandemic. I’ll pass. Doing it myself cost $54 and less than an hour of my time.

enjoy.

Edited by Tommy J.

My favorite thing about this quarantine is how much work I've been able to get done around the house. Dishwasher broke and I had to replace the timer switch for $24, I'm scared to even see how much a repair guy would have charged to do something so simple.

My problem is my wife can update her "honey do" list so much faster than I can check things off.  I just talked her out of tearing out a load bearing wall that has an old chimney in iit.

• Like 2

Per a pro tip from Luke, I updated the circuit to a beefier setup. Instead of the 12/2 wire and 20a breaker I ran in the video, I upgraded to 6/2 wire and a 50a breaker.

its unlikely I’ll ever push the circuit that hard. but in the event I do, I’d prefer the extra protection. and also the extra capability of the circuit in the event I decide to run a plasma cutter for any fair amount of time. I’m sure the 12/2 and 20a I had would have been just fine considering not only how short the home run was, but also the relatively thinner stuff I will be mostly welding. 3/8” or less. But hey, the beefier the circuit the better. No way I’ll ever overload it in its current setup. Not with the welder I have.

Which model Hobart is that?

what kind of work do you plan to do?

Edited by JHenze646

4 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Which model Hobart is that?

what kind of work do you plan to do?

Hobart Handler 210MVP

plan on doing all kinds of projects. Truck bumpers, motorcycle frames, a wide array of strength equipment, etc. 3/8” or less steel mostly. Don’t plan on doing anything with aluminum. No cast iron welding. May get into some stainless projects at some point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Hobart Handler 210MVP

plan on doing all kinds of projects. Truck bumpers, motorcycle frames, a wide array of strength equipment, etc. 3/8” or less steel mostly. Don’t plan on doing anything with aluminum. No cast iron welding. May get into some stainless projects at some point.

I used one of these the other day to fix a piece on my Samurai.  I am not much of a welder but the Hobart ran smooth and worked excellent. 

Stainless mig wire is $$$.

I would like to get a Hobart someday.

Have you been welding for a while?

15 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Per a pro tip from Luke, I updated the circuit to a beefier setup. Instead of the 12/2 wire and 20a breaker I ran in the video, I upgraded to 6/2 wire and a 50a breaker.

its unlikely I’ll ever push the circuit that hard. but in the event I do, I’d prefer the extra protection. and also the extra capability of the circuit in the event I decide to run a plasma cutter for any fair amount of time. I’m sure the 12/2 and 20a I had would have been just fine considering not only how short the home run was, but also the relatively thinner stuff I will be mostly welding. 3/8” or less. But hey, the beefier the circuit the better. No way I’ll ever overload it in its current setup. Not with the welder I have.

I see so many times people upgrade the breaker without realizing they also need to get proper wire as well, nice to see this was avoided. Too many fires started for such an easily prevented problem. Now if we could only get people to stop daisy chaining a dozen extension cords. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bearcat 74 said:

I used one of these the other day to fix a piece on my Samurai.  I am not much of a welder but the Hobart ran smooth and worked excellent. 

26 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Stainless mig wire is $$$.

I would like to get a Hobart someday.

Have you been welding for a while?

Thanks guys. I spent a couple years debating on this exact welder after a full time steel fabricator sort of interviewed me to figure out what I’d be welding mostly. After telling him what I’d be doing, he rattled off this exact model with no hesitation. It is apparently the best all round mig welder at under $1,000. One feature he kept mentioning that other welders in the same price range do not have, that this one does have, is metal wire feed components. That was the main selling point for me after he broke everything down.

unfortunately, as you guys know, a few other expenses added to that.. gloves, helmet, gas. Everything out the door so far including the cost of my outlet is right at $1,500. Not bad for getting into a side hustle that will most certainly pay itself off in the first few months tho. So I’ll take it.

also, fun fyi, when I went to the local welding supply to buy my 75/25, the guy asked me what welder I had. When I said “Hobart mig welder” his response was simply “well if it’s a Hobart it’s a good one.” That spoke volumes coming from a guy who literally had 4-5 of those brand new $4,000 Esab welders sitting on his sales floor.

I'm super excited about finally owning my own.

Edit: almost forgot to answer.. been welding as needed per various repairs as an auto mechanic for about 14 years. And am by no means a pro welder. That said, I’ve never had a comeback via a welding repair that ended up not holding.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 2

If I charged for my welding it would have to be by the pound.   My welds are strong, but I’ll use half a roll of wire on an 8” joint, so......

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I see so many times people upgrade the breaker without realizing they also need to get proper wire as well, nice to see this was avoided. Too many fires started for such an easily prevented problem. Now if we could only get people to stop daisy chaining a dozen extension cords. 

😳

...those people are cray.