COVID-405 SSB Box Squat

Mike Rinderle

First time I've had 405 on my back in a long time.  Wish I could get under a straight bar to see how all the SSB work would translate.  I think my all-time best straight bar squat in wraps was 420.  This was no wraps, so I'd like to think I would be good for more than 420.  Alas, we'll never know.

From this angle it looks a lil high, but the side angle I posted last week with exact same setup was slightly below parallel.  Honestly don't care though.  Lol

• Like 5

Nice squat! I did 390 for a single on the SSB last week and was pretty sure I didn’t have any more in me, but if your scrawny ass can manage it...

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

Nice squat! I did 390 for a single on the SSB last week and was pretty sure I didn’t have any more in me, but if your scrawny ass can manage it...

Squatting is definitely not my strong suit.  If I can do 405, you ought to be good for 500 minimum.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

First time I've had 405 on my back in a long time.  Wish I could get under a straight bar to see how all the SSB work would translate.  I think my all-time best straight bar squat in wraps was 420.  This was no wraps, so I'd like to think I would be good for more than 420.  Alas, we'll never know.

From this angle it looks a lil high, but the side angle I posted last week with exact same setup was slightly below parallel.  Honestly don't care though.  Lol

Why can't you use a standard bar anymore? Shoulder flexibility?

Do you ever front squat?

7 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Why can't you use a standard bar anymore? Shoulder flexibility?

Do you ever front squat?

Yea.  Two Slap tears, two partial supraspinatus tears, arthritis, and horrible flexibility to start with.  If I really work at it I can high bar squat, but it hurts.

This was literally the last front squat I ever did.  Lol.  02/27/2012

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Yea.  Two Slap tears, two partial supraspinatus tears, arthritis, and horrible flexibility to start with.  If I really work at it I can high bar squat, but it hurts.

This was literally the last front squat I ever did.  Lol.  02/27/2012

I think I remember seeing this now that I see it again. Epic! You needed a power rack! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I think I remember seeing this now that I see it again. Epic! You needed a power rack! 

Yes... yes I did.  Lol

Back in the 80s I was getting sixty pounds out of knee wraps. You would have destroyed the 420! But I can’t say I miss knee wraps one bit. 

And I swear I didn’t laugh at your front squat mishap. Maybe. 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Back in the 80s I was getting sixty pounds out of knee wraps. You would have destroyed the 420! But I can’t say I miss knee wraps one bit. 

And I swear I didn’t laugh at your front squat mishap. Maybe. 

I can't stand knee wraps.  I'm worn out by the time I'm done wrapping my knees.  Plus they hurt and I never feel super solid under the weight with my feet going numb.  

I haven't wrapped in a long time but I definitely used to get 30-50 lbs out of them depending on how masochistic I was feeling when wrapping.  I feel like I almost have to try at some point to see if I can get my all time goal of a 200kg squat.  Maybe I'll work on my shoulder mobility this week and try to slide under a straight bar next session. I think I could do 420 with no wraps right now on a straight bar.  🤷‍♂️

And you are the only one who didn't laugh at that then.  Lol

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

Nicely done!

I don't like (well my shoulders don't like) straight bar squats either.  I use a cambered bar and I love it - zero shoulder pain and it feels like a straight bar as far as the actual squat goes.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I can't stand knee wraps.  I'm worn out by the time I'm done wrapping my knees.  Plus they hurt and I never feel super solid under the weight with my feet going numb.  

I haven't wrapped in a long time but I definitely used to get 30-50 lbs out of them depending on how masochistic I was feeling when wrapping.  I feel like I almost have to try at some point to see if I can get my all time goal of a 200kg squat.  Maybe I'll work on my shoulder mobility this week and try to slide under a straight bar next session. I think I could do 420 with no wraps right now on a straight bar.  🤷‍♂️

And you are the only one who didn't laugh at that then.  Lol

Numb legs. Numb hands. Possible amputation if the lifter in front of you delays your attempt. Etc. Etc. 

But you will squat 200 sans wraps. You heard it here first!

Before I ever do my first squat set I stretch my shoulders and spend a few minutes easing into the low bar squat position without un-racking the weight. I also just started wearing wrist wraps for squats, and it’s cured the wrist pain part of the equation. 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

@climber511 & @EricMilfeld have either of you tried a Buffalo type bar with a bow to it?  

I have not. 

Nick Rosendaul has one. It’s okay but I like the cambered bar better. It lets me have my hands even lower 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I feel like the buffalo bar would not let you get your hands low enough.  Low hanging chambered bar or safety squat bar would be better.