Sign in to follow this  
Noobishindi

2 35lb plate pinch regression

Noobishindi

I had worked up to a one hand 2 35lb plate pinch (about a 7 second hold for each hand). This was around Nov-Dec 2019. Since then, it’s regressed to where I can’t lift the plates at all. Every other aspect of grip hasn’t progressed or maintained since. I’ve picked my brains over why it regressed but am stumped. I’ve tried it fresh and after a week off, chalked, no chalk, I don’t know what could have happened. 

Has anyone else experienced something similar? 

JayGrips

honestly id switch up my training routine if i reached a plateau like that.  if i was focusing more on singles id switched to focusing on sets of 3-5 reps.  run that as a routine for a few months trying to improve your 3-5rm and than maybe retest.  

king crusher
12 hours ago, Noobishindi said:

I had worked up to a one hand 2 35lb plate pinch (about a 7 second hold for each hand). This was around Nov-Dec 2019. Since then, it’s regressed to where I can’t lift the plates at all. Every other aspect of grip hasn’t progressed or maintained since. I’ve picked my brains over why it regressed but am stumped. I’ve tried it fresh and after a week off, chalked, no chalk, I don’t know what could have happened. 

Tons of things come into play. Sleep, nutrition/hydration,  mindset,  external life forces,   etc. 

mcalpine1986
19 hours ago, Noobishindi said:

How often are you training the pinches? Maybe your hands are not recovered enough. 

Hopefully
Posted (edited)

Perhaps you respond well to high frequency? Maybe you trained a lot and made the lift, then came the holidays and you didn't have time to train as much and thus regressed. And now you dont train quite the same way because you saw that you were weaker, so you started altering your training even though it clearly worked well all along? How is your base strength now compared to say october last year? Or maybe you are burned out with the lift because you aren't changing exercises once in a while? 

I have never done KTA but I think usually this happens to people who are doing it, even though they train with super high frequency they get stronger in periods for neurological reasons and reach a very high peak. But then after the program they rest and the body enters a recovery phase and the strength drops a substantial amount. 

And yes, I experience it all the time. I would suggest changing your primary pinch exercise and forget the plates for a month or two, and then start with them again. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1

wobbler

Could be in your head, pick it up with help from your other hand and see if you can hold it. If so, just try a bit harder off the ground. If not, slow negatives and you'll get back to it soon.

Rechalk and slap the loose chalk off with a towel. Blow on your fingers to get a little moisture on them.

liftyzig

How many times have you tried it recently?  Do you try it warmed up or cold?  Do you train pinch often?