First Sledgehammer Recomendations

monstrosity

I am looking to buy my first sledgehammer and I am debating on which I should get, both length and weight. What do you guys recommend for levers.

I was thinking an 8lbs 36in. I am 155lbs and I have decent grip and wrist strength for my size but nothing special.

There are different ways to measure handle length.  Personally I measure the length from the tip of the handle to the closest point of the head.  I have bought sledges with 31" handles and 32.5" handles measured this way.  I agree that an 8# hammer sounds about right for you as an all purpose first hammer.

• Thanks 1

My first one was an 8 also (I weigh 175 pounds).  Seemed about right.  My second was a 6 because I wanted to do more reps, but I probably should have gotten a 10 instead.  My next will be a 10.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Vinnie said:

My first one was an 8 also (I weigh 175 pounds).  Seemed about right.  My second was a 6 because I wanted to do more reps, but I probably should have gotten a 10 instead.  My next will be a 10.

Oh and I would go 36, as you can always choke up to closer to make it easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can easily add weight but you can't take it off. I'd say 36" 6lb. Or just buy a replacement handle to save some money, and figure out how to add weight to the end.

• Thanks 1

If you're handy, make one. I made two plate loadable ones, a regular straight one and one with a 45 degree bent handle for different range emphasis. Can build it out of pipe, wood, metal, plastic whatever you are most comfortable with and paired with some fractional plates or even washers you now have every single hammer instead of just one. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

If you're handy, make one. I made two plate loadable ones, a regular straight one and one with a 45 degree bent handle for different range emphasis. Can build it out of pipe, wood, metal, plastic whatever you are most comfortable with and paired with some fractional plates or even washers you now have every single hammer instead of just one. 

I have a loading pin from BSS that I use as a sledge sometimes by adding fractional plates and a collar to one end. It's only 11-12" long or something though. Works pretty well for rehab exercises, but not so much for the "don't smash your face" exercises. Might not be a bad way to start if you already have a loading pin.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wobbler said:

You can easily add weight but you can't take it off. I'd say 36" 6lb. Or just buy a replacement handle to save some money, and figure out how to add weight to the end.

Any ideas or recommendations for how you would add weight? I don’t know how comfortable I would be drill and taping the head of the hammer, unless it’s easier than it sounds.

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

I know I only mentioned levers but how does pope feel doing finger walks compared to a typical wood/fiberglass handle?

21 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I have a loading pin from BSS that I use as a sledge sometimes by adding fractional plates and a collar to one end. It's only 11-12" long or something though. Works pretty well for rehab exercises, but not so much for the "don't smash your face" exercises. Might not be a bad way to start if you already have a loading pin.

I noticed I wasn’t very clear in my post but I was thinking I would use the sledge for much more than just levers. I like to have some of the flexibility in exercises a sledge offers such as swings and other exercises I am less familiar with at this time. So I am leaning towards a >30” handle. Not sure if this would change your recommendation or not.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, monstrosity said:

I know I only mentioned levers but how does pope feel doing finger walks compared to a typical wood/fiberglass handle?

I haven't tried them enough to have any insight, but luckily pipe comes in all sorts of sizes so you can just find what fits your exact hand the best and use that, or take a hunk of wood and carve away until you are satisfied.

• Thanks 1

To add weight, there's always duct tape as a last resort. But if DIY isn't your thing, probably better to get a complete hammer.

I just use the handle for thumb up finger walks, piece of chain rubber banded on and slip plates on top. Wouldn't use that for levering though.

• Thanks 1

My 1st was an 8lb then I got a 12#. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

first was a 6.  levering a sledge puts alot of stress on your wrist in a somewhat unnatural position, im not really a fan of it.  i just use it for radial and ulnar deviation and holds at my side for time