Grippers

Chris921

Hiya folks. I’m training with the grippers around twice a week. I warm up doing 15-20 reps with the #1 coc then I move on to doing between 3-5 reps on the #2 but I’m around a finger width off closing the 2.5 for the last few months and still can’t close it and I’m getting no better. Everything else is going great. Been doing a lot of card tearing and am now going through a full deck easily and also my steel bending has got much better but I seem to be going backwards with the grippers. Any advice to progress? Thanks 

Read up what people have said in regards to training in The Grip Well. 

There's another thread going right now about how to progress from the CoC1.5 to the CoC2. Same advice applies for going from the 2 to the 2.5.

I can only do one of those at a time without tearing my hands up too much, I get knuckle pain that doesn't go away quick enough. Grippers, card tearing, bending (mostly overhand.)

I'm not very good with grippers, but that's too much with the #1. Just do a few closes to get warmed up and all the clicks out of your knuckles, then some singles with the 2, then try the 2.5.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wobbler said:

I'm not very good with grippers, but that's too much with the #1. Just do a few closes to get warmed up and all the clicks out of your knuckles, then some singles with the 2, then try the 2.5.

Agreed, less volume, more intensity. Also practice your setting technique, make sure you're getting the optimal leverage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 8:04 PM, Chris921 said:

Hiya folks. I’m training with the grippers around twice a week. I warm up doing 15-20 reps with the #1 coc then I move on to doing between 3-5 reps on the #2 but I’m around a finger width off closing the 2.5 for the last few months and still can’t close it and I’m getting no better. Everything else is going great. Been doing a lot of card tearing and am now going through a full deck easily and also my steel bending has got much better but I seem to be going backwards with the grippers. Any advice to progress? Thanks 

Sounds like you are simply overtrained, grippers are something you really need to be fresh for to do your best and bending especially tends to wipe out any gripper progress with how taxing it is

• Like 2

Great advice guys. Stopped doing as much and had more rest days between and smash the coc 2.5 today. Buzzing been after it for months 😊 

• Like 3

As Paul said, bending is very taxing and it's difficult to make progress on other stuff if you're making progress with bending. If you want to get stronger on grippers while still bending I'd suggest using the double underhand technique. It will strenghten your ring and pinky finger tremendously and it will carry over for bigger gripper closes in the long run.