Can't close#2 coc, but close #1.5 for 20 reps

Alex0204

Hi!

I've been grip training for about two-three months now. I got interested in grip after trying some noname grippers. After a month of sqeezing them every time I wanted, I tried to close #1.5 - that was succesfull ;). Then I bought COC #1.5, #2 and #2.5.

Now I can close #1.5 COC gripper for 4 sets of 12 reps and for 20 reps in 1 set, but still can't close my #2 coc gripper.

I think I do something wrong with my gripper routine (My routine is just like ordinary power routine - 3-4 sets of 5-7 reps with gripper).

Actually I think that just adding reps with #1.5 will not help me to close #2... Maybe should I use grip machine? Or try to use another stuff (like grip machine or crushers for example) to improve my crush power? 

Thanks in advance 

Edited by Alex0204

I have a rather hard coc#2 and around the time that I closed it I could do around 20 reps on my coc#1.

I also recently closed my #2.5 and I can do around 5 reps on my #2.

What i have found is that reps on lighter grippers dont really transfer to closing bigger grippers. Attempts on heavy grippers builds more crushing strength.

So i would suggest you do more attempts on your coc#2 and then reps on your 1.5 afterwards.

Also your setting of the gripper is very important. If you dont set the gripper right then you wont have the best leverage to close bigger grippers.

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Alex0204 said:

Hi!

I've been grip training for about two-three months now. I got interested in grip after trying some noname grippers. After a month of sqeezing them every time I wanted, I tried to close #1.5 - that was succesfull ;). Then I bought COC #1.5, #2 and #2.5.

Now I can close #1.5 COC gripper for 4 sets of 12 reps and for 20 reps in 1 set, but still can't close my #2 coc gripper.

I think I do something wrong with my gripper routine (My routine is just like ordinary power routine - 3-4 sets of 5-7 reps with gripper).

Actually I think that just adding reps with #1.5 will not help me to close #2... Maybe should I use grip machine? Or try to use another stuff (like grip machine or crushers for example) to improve my crush power? 

Thanks in advance 

What kind of set are you using? Technique for setting can change things a lot for grippers. 

I also echo the “high reps don’t always equate to harder closes” though. There’s a crossover point where higher reps are helping more for endurance than strength for grippers. 

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

What kind of set are you using?

just ordinanry set (not TNS).

34 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I also echo the “high reps don’t always equate to harder closes” though. There’s a crossover point where higher reps are helping more for endurance than strength for grippers. 

The problem is there is no grippers between 1.5 and #2, so all I can do is just to increase reps with my #1.5. Probably I just should try to close #2 or maybe to cut my #1.5 (to file it)?

Edited by Alex0204

Do strap holds and overcrushes.  Do multiple singles with the 1.5 in each exercise since you can rep it.

• Like 3

Just get an adjustable gripper like the Vulcan or Baraban, or Silvis adjustables if you can find one. Your #2 might be in the higher range and the #1.5 is a useless gripper for bridging gaps, you might as well just use your #1.

If you don't have any money to buy anything I would suggest volume training with #1 & #1.5 and a few attempts/singles with the #2. How often you should attempt the #2 depends on your ability to recover and that's exactly why you should do volume work with the lighter grippers.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Do strap holds and overcrushes.  Do multiple singles with the 1.5 in each exercise since you can rep it.

Maybe You mean singles with #2?

13 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

How many times per week do you work the grippers, and do you do the same workout each time?

4 times per week. Not the same. I try to add a few reps in each set. I do 4 sets of 10-12-15 reps with #1.5.

i started with 4*10, now I can do 12-15*4 with #1.5

Edited by Alex0204

7 minutes ago, Alex0204 said:

Maybe You mean singles with #2?

No, singles with strap holds and overcrushes with your #1.5 

• Like 1

I'll say the same thing I would always say for this level (-#2), put the grippers away. Spend 3-6 month grafting hard with general strength training and training your hands without grippers and do it consistently. Heavy deadlifts with and without strapa, squats, bare handed shrugs, rows, pull ups, heavy pressing, plus thickbar, pinch, extensor training etc do that for 3-6 months getting plenty of good food in, take a week off, then attempt the #2 between sets of squats. You will more than likely close it easily and for reps.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

I'll say the same thing I would always say for this level (-#2), put the grippers away. Spend 3-6 month grafting hard with general strength training and training your hands without grippers and do it consistently. Heavy deadlifts with and without strapa, squats, bare handed shrugs, rows, pull ups, heavy pressing, plus thickbar, pinch, extensor training etc do that for 3-6 months getting plenty of good food in, take a week off, then attempt the #2 between sets of squats. You will more than likely close it easily and for reps.

This is good advice. Having a heavy strength training background is very beneficial for people and gives you a good base to work off of.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alex0204 said:

just ordinanry set (not TNS).

The problem is there is no grippers between 1.5 and #2, so all I can do is just to increase reps with my #1.5. Probably I just should try to close #2 or maybe to cut my #1.5 (to file it)?

Depends on what you mean by "ordinary set". No set? CCS? MMS

Also there definitely are grippers between the CoC1.5 and the CoC2. Check out CPW's rating chart.

• Like 2

When I was trying to get my no.2 closed I kept pushing it in with my off hand on every failure. 
but started doing reps with my no.1 , and when I hit 26 reps, the no.2 shut.

i didn’t have a 1.5 back then...you having that should make it easier. 

build your reps up with that and the no.2 will go down! Plus, it helps  build your setting and confidence. 
heavy singles work also, but you need the reps this early in the game; you need that tension in the fingers for longer...like you get with reps. When someone puts a gripper in a choker, that tension in the fingers is lost and you would be able to close a gripper much easier. That’s why you need that tension you get with reps.

in other words, you can close that no.2 right now in a choker, so your closing power is more than you think. Build that tension up in your fingers, brother!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, slazbob said:

When I was trying to get my no.2 closed I kept pushing it in with my off hand on every failure. 

5 hours ago, slazbob said:

When someone puts a gripper in a choker, that tension in the fingers is lost and you would be able to close a gripper much easier.

This. 

It took me ages to get from the #2 to the #2.5. The two things that worked best for me were: hose clamping the #2.5 (I was able to close it over 10 times first time I tried it), and using my leg to cheat it shut and trying to keep it that way for as long as possible.

I generally suck at setting grippers. A hose clamp takes setting out of the equation, and the cheat closes really seemed to help with my setting down the track.

• Like 2

You also might have a very easy 1.5 or a very hard 2.  I had a very easy 1.5 that I could not tell apart from my 1.  I also had a very hard 2.5.  When I tried other people's 1.5 or 2.5, they were noticeably different.  Have you tried someone else's, or had them rated by Cannon or otherwise?  If it is a crazy hard 2 and you buy another one, either pre-rated or just take your chances, you may close it right out of the box.  Usually closing a COC (under 2) 10 or 15 times would mean you'd be able to get the next one up.  The 2 to 2.5 or the 2.5 to 3 (and up) are larger jumps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex0204 said:

Thanks guys!

Closed #2 for 3 reps today!

And now I can close it every time i try with no set.

Now the goal is #2.5 🙂

That was really quick. What did you do differently? It sounds like you changed to an harder type of set rather than an easier set as some people usually recommend. Less than a week isn't really enough time to get stronger overall like people suggested either.

No, I can close #2 with no set. I think it’s called “tns”. (I use only one hand to close it). 

I just stop to train with grippers every day and used my grip machine with 110 lbs load (it was only 1 day grip machine training though). And I did a few negatives with #2. Then I got 2 days off. Today with #2 it feels much easier than it used to be 🙂

18 minutes ago, Alex0204 said:

Maybe I just was over trained with grippers 🙂

Probably. 20 reps with the #1.5 or even the #1 should be enough to close almost any #2. Half a level up when you can do 20 reps should be the case at any level. I've never heard of anybody who can't close half a level higher than the gripper they can do 20 legit reps on.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 6:23 AM, Alex0204 said:

Hi!

Thanks in advance 

Not grip specifically, but a strength story I think is relevant:

When I was younger (18ish) I could deadlift 405x11, one rep max was 500ish(do much more now).  There was some online challenge where you got a t shirt if you could 405x20 so I started training for it. Got up to the point I could do 17 reps.  You’d think my one rep would have gone up right? Nope. In fact it may have gone down a lb or two, but I could bust out reps like nobody’s business.

Point being there’s a reason you don’t see high level Olympic weightlifters doing twenty rep sets every day but you do see a ton of singles, doubles and triples.

train for what you want to be good at. Heavy low reps 

• Like 1