Wannagrip

The Virus Lockdown - How are You Effected?

Wannagrip

We let a lot of liberties go in this thread due to the nature of the subject. Mainly, going off topic and arguing of the severity of the virus and it's impact.  SO, since I even started this topic let's bring it back to the original subject of the post:  The Virus Lockdown - How are You Effected?

Mike Rinderle

I have found a sliver lining to COVID-19.  Thought we could all use some good news.  Deaths from other causes are way down due to fewer people on the roads, etc. This reduction has been the most notable for the young among us.  

Note that this data has no Covid-19 deaths as it stopped at week 10.  As data comes in for the next 4 weeks (April) during the virus peak, I'm sure that the CV-19 deaths will more than outweigh this positive, but it is a positive.  

Add the baby boom we should get from the lockdown, and this just might shift the average age of US citizens down by a couple years.

Screenshot_20200330-050849_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200330-050752_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200330-050818_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

Mike Rinderle
8 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

We let a lot of liberties go in this thread due to the nature of the subject. Mainly, going off topic and arguing of the severity of the virus and it's impact.  SO, since I even started this topic let's bring it back to the original subject of the post:  The Virus Lockdown - How are You Effected?

The old folks home behind my child's preschool has an outbreak.  The seniors were in his school every day as it is a church with a senior activities center.  The issues caused by having him home during the lockdown pale in comparison to the benefit from not having an outbreak among the kids and staff at his school. 

Unfortunately, being in a nursing home that has an outbreak is close to a death sentence right now for our seniors.  Very sad for these people and their families who can't be with them during these tough times.

Wannagrip

In Iowa, we are actually one of the least affected states for some reason?  We actually know someone who had the virus with full symptoms and has recovered.  They did give him the Malaria med (combo?) that has helped people and it helped him. He is about 60 years old btw.

• Like 4

climber511

The wife has found one silver lining to this - I no longer have the "I'm too busy" excuse to work on her "honey do" list.  Been getting a lot done around the house.  I have gained a couple pounds as I snack too darn much now - I need to stop that.  

• Haha 2

Ricochet

With all this time on our hands I am really looking forward to hearing about and seeing everyone's grip-related gains once this worldwide lock down is over.  Absolutely, no excuses as this is one sport/hobby that can be trained anytime, anywhere, with nearly anything... the only limiting factor is one's imagination. Let's not squander this opportunity I say.

Less typing more gripping, pinching, crushing, and supporting. 

• Like 2

slazbob
4 hours ago, Ricochet said:

With all this time on our hands I am really looking forward to hearing about and seeing everyone's grip-related gains once this worldwide lock down is over.  Absolutely, no excuses as this is one sport/hobby that can be trained anytime, anywhere, with nearly anything... the only limiting factor is one's imagination. Let's not squander this opportunity I say.

Less typing more gripping, pinching, crushing, and supporting. 

Broke out my Hammer Strength Gripper replica and hurt a tendon on my middle finger! My first real injury in 29 years. Hopefully it goes away quickly.

• Sad 1

Ricochet
10 hours ago, slazbob said:

Broke out my Hammer Strength Gripper replica and hurt a tendon on my middle finger! My first real injury in 29 years. Hopefully it goes away quickly.

Now you have no excuse but to work your ring and pinkie fingers on an inverted gripper! 😜 Wishing you a speedy recovery none-the-less.

slazbob
7 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Now you have no excuse but to work your ring and pinkie fingers on an inverted gripper! 😜 Wishing you a speedy recovery none-the-less.

Thank you! I will work around this safely 👍🏻

king crusher

The latest sensational headline from the MSM this morning is that the virus has now killed more people than the 9/11 terrorist attacks. 

Yeah, so does the flu every single year, easily.

I hate the MSM.  They are a virus too.

Climber028
15 minutes ago, king crusher said:

The latest sensational headline from the MSM this morning is that the virus has now killed more people than the 9/11 terrorist attacks. 

For someone who claims to hate MSM so much you sure do watch a lot of it. Why not just ignore it? There are far better information sources available these days. 

• Like 3

Wannagrip
27 minutes ago, king crusher said:

This has nothing to do with the thread of How Are You Effected. Please stay on topic including discussing the politics. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ricochet

How is everyone's joint-pain and tendinitis now that you have had your training interrupted by The Corona and had to change up your routine and/or exercises?

Mine has miraculously gone away. Very please about that!

Climber028
3 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

How is everyone's joint-pain and tendinitis now that you have had your training interrupted by The Corona and had to change up your routine and/or exercises?

Mine has miraculously gone away. Very please about that!

Funnily my elbows are actually getting sore. Normally I try to stay fresh so I can climb but the gyms are closed and I'm just training at home and going way harder than I normally would, hopefully it'll all even out in the end. 

climber511

I started doing Treadmill - Recumbent Bike and a Stair Climber at the local commercial gym over the winter before all this.  Still did and do all my lifting at home.  So I've lost some conditioning due to the Corona.  But the weather is getting nice - I'll start back doing my hill hikes with a vest or pack on - it will all work out.  But I do miss that darn stair climber - it was a love/hate kind of thing :)

Buccos1

I am teaching remotely/virtual (via Google educational software), which has turned my normal 9 hour day into closer to 12.  My young kids have been wild too, which has made it very difficult to manage.  Thankfully, I have a fully equipped gym and have been training at home the past twenty years, and only go to commercial gyms on vacation.  So nothing has changed at all with my training, aside from timing.

JHenze646
On 3/30/2020 at 8:56 AM, climber511 said:

The wife has found one silver lining to this - I no longer have the "I'm too busy" excuse to work on her "honey do" list.  Been getting a lot done around the house.  I have gained a couple pounds as I snack too darn much now - I need to stop that.  

I have made a pie, baked a cake, baked brownies, and made marshmallow treats with chocolate chips so far. My wife told me to stop making sweets and then a few hours later asked me what I was going to make next. I am thinking rice pudding sounds good.

• Like 4

climber511
16 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

I have made a pie, baked a cake, baked brownies, and made marshmallow treats with chocolate chips so far. My wife told me to stop making sweets and then a few hours later asked me what I was going to make next. I am thinking rice pudding sounds good.

We made a loaf of "beer bread" yesterday.

• Like 2

Wannagrip
19 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Time for a dirty bulk! 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JHenze646
6 hours ago, climber511 said:

We made a loaf of "beer bread" yesterday.

I haven’t had beer bread since I was a kid.

6 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Time for a dirty bulk! 😆

I will probably lose weight eating all the desserts much to my wife’s scorn. I have to plan to gain weight.

• Like 1