Wannagrip

The Virus Lockdown - How are You Effected?

Wannagrip

I am now working from home this coming week and very fortunate and grateful to be able to have a job I can do that.

Grocery stores are busy but not radical like I see they appear to be in the news in California. We were able to go to Costco yesterday and get pretty much everything we normally can get except TP.  We did get some TP at Walmart.  And, yes, we actually needed it and certainly wouldn't stock up even if there was a ton.

Walmart's meat section is still decimated as it has been for over a week.

Iowa appears to be not as bad as the coasts or in general?  Maybe being in the slower Midwest is actually a good thing now?

• Thanks 1

Andrew P

We are ok but definitely affected. I worked from home last week but moving forward I'm laid off with benefits. Thankfully the wife's job is steady and this will give me time to watch the kids. 

Weird part for FBBC is my Dad does ~80% of the Machining for me and he is a high risk person so he's been either in the shop or locked in his cabin. I'm picking up more stuff from him this week and the plan is he's going to leave it on the back porch. He's going with the policy that no one is getting within 100 feet of him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Vinnie

I'm on Long Island and work in Manhattan. 

Manhattan:  I am working from home and have not been into the office since March 13, so I imagine it is looking pretty empty on the subways as it was already far less crowded than usual the last time I was there.  The District Attorney's office is not closed because it is law enforcement, but the office has urged anyone who can work from home to do so and to come in only when necessary in order to do what we have to do.  For me, it is almost never necessary to be there because I write appellate briefs and it is a job that can be done from any computer by logging in remotely.  The only thing I may need to go there for is to get my grippers, since I leave most of them there and do them during work days.

Home (50 miles from Manhattan): Gyms and many stores are closed, groceries are open and well-stocked except for toilet paper.  I see more people walking around the neighborhood with their families, which has a nice quaint feel to it, and they seem to be friendlier, in a 9-11 kind of way (when we all felt closer to everyone), except standing further apart lol.

At the pizza place yesterday, people stood apart outside and went inside to the counter one by one in order not to all be standing in the same small area at once, although no one asked for that and it was just kind of something we all did out of respect for the distancing effort.

I'm starting to get lonely, especially since my son is self-quarantining with my ex, who has a friend and a colleague that tested positive.  He and she were both sick but not seriously enough to seek care, so they cannot get tested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Climber028

I'm in western NY so not nearly as bad as the city but still have similar lock down orders. I do repairs but technically we are warehouse/fulfillment so my job is up and running but we have split into 4 groups and segregated the building and are doing a morning and evening shift so if a group gets sick we can rotate people and keep shipping product. Grocery stores are very busy but there's plenty of food, meat and TP are the only shortages. 

• Thanks 1

Cannon

Minnesota.  My job is basically uninterrupted except that now I can do all work from home. Previously they had a nonsense rule that only 2 days at home were allowed.  

We have always been a frugal, thrifty family. The lunches I bring to work were dubbed "dust bowl" by my coworkers.  We bought about $80 in groceries on 3/13 and otherwise have just been dealing with what is in the house. Family of 5.  We'll go get fresh produce at some point this next week. 

We have not left the house hardly at all. We used a local drive-thru, Culvers, last night as is our Saturday tradition. I've been running in the park reserve behind our house and having great runs. I pass a dog park that has been SHOCKINGLY busy. Like groups of 25 to 50 people. Do folks think they can't share disease while outside?  🤔  But running has scarcely ever felt so good for me. 

Kids have been getting extra screen time, but they're on spring break anyway. Distance learning starts for them in another week. Each day we ask them to exercise, go outside, clean, create something, and read. Only our 14yo is bored. She wants to see her friends in person.  We are lucky that our kids are friends. They laugh and play together like complete idiots. 

One of the hardest things for us is that Kristy's Dad had open heart surgery in December, was not recovering well, then landed back in the hospital on 3/13. Terrible timing. He had passed out from fluid in his chest cavity putting pressure on his lungs; an undetected complication from the surgery. He's been stuck there ever since and now nobody can even visit him. We Facetime him and he may come home within another week. It's worrisome because there are Covid cases at the hospital. With pre-existing heart and lung trouble, and already in a weak state, he would not likely fight it very well. 

Honestly, I had a good week. No pressure to do anything except work, stave off boredom, be a family, be a good neighbor, and do our part to distance. It's been sunny and blue skys and mostly beautiful days since this started. Thankful for that. 

• Like 3

lone Wolf

I live southern California San Bernardino the largest county in usa only 17 cases so far reported . I been off for a week now I work for the school district.  I have been staying home as much as possible the last few days I'm 62. yrs. my Wife 63 yrs. were right in area where don't really take chances of getting infected. I am  a cancer survivor stomach cancer 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daveyboy

Brisbane, Australia. Pubs, restaurants, gyms etc. closed just over 2 hours ago as the infected count starts ramping up, and almost all of the major sporting leagues have suspended play. The line at the local welfare office was huge this morning as they're helping administer the relief package the government has come up with, to assist with those who've lost their jobs recently as well as those who are already unemployed (not sure if I agree with the second bit, but that's another story...). I'm fortunate to work for the government in IT, and already work from home 2 days a week. As of today working from home is on a day to day basis, so it could stretch out to weeks or months. My daughter has been laid off work as she worked in hospitality, but my son is still getting shifts regularly for now. Financially, we're lucky enough to be in a decent position to get through this. My biggest worry is my wife, who is a cancer survivor with a compromised immune system. My second biggest worry is going into full lockdown with my family and waiting for the inevitable cabin fever to hit 😬

• Thanks 1

Hannes

Here in Iceland people are staying inside. Grocery stores are open but not many people there, even counting the staff. All gyms, swimming pools, bars and businesses that require people to be in close quarters, have been closed. 
No mandatory curfew has been put in place as people are staying inside anyways. We also have daily press briefings from doctors and police (no politicians) that keep everyone informed about everything except details on individual cases. 

So far no Icelanders has died, but one Australian tourist has lost his life to the virus.
My worries are minimal as my mom is staying safe inside (suppressed immune system) and her partner's job closed down a couple of weeks ago

At home there are no issues. We have food and enough of things to pass the time.

There was also a big gain from everyone deciding themselves to stay home, families have grown closer and more people helping those who need help

• Thanks 1

king crusher
Posted (edited)

Wisconsin governor due to announce a state lockdown of sorts tomorrow according to the local news outlet.

Getting worse and worse for the economy due to this overblown virus.

Edited by king crusher
  • Like 2

Wannagrip
17 hours ago, king crusher said:

Wisconsin governor due to announce a state lockdown of sorts tomorrow according to the local news outlet.

Getting worse and worse for the economy due to this overblown virus.

Last year,  an estimated 606,880 people died of cancer in the United States alone. This would mean the news on TV would highlight the death count as 1662 people  PER day.  That would be 69 people EVERY hour ever day.  

This panic will need to end before the lockdown decimates the US and other parts of the world because the result of this will be much much worse than the virus itself.  Way worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bearcat 74

TN has 615 cases and 2 deaths, people are going insane.  Some are saying the US needs to be shut down for 6 months and the government should pay every US citizen for 6 months.  

I guess we should shut down every flu season.  The numbers you posted about cancer, we should just shut down 365.

The blame game is strong on this mess. 

• Like 2

Mike Rinderle

Below are the latest estimates for the current US flu season by the CDC.  The first case of the coronavirus was diagnosed on my birthday, November 17th, so we only have 4 months of data for the Chinese Bat AIDS and it was starting from patient 1.  For Coronavirus, cases seem to grow exponentially and then peak and start tapering off about 3 months from the first infection in a country.  For instance, China and Singapore have almst no new infections.  Italy has finally seen the growth flatten about 3 months in and expect cases to start tapering rapidly from here.  Almost every country has seen the same thing. Anyway, with 4 months of Corona, the global numbers (16,600 dead), while tragic, are not even a rounding error when you consider that 153,000 people die every day in the world.  This is a nasty disease, but most of us are going to be ok, if we don't let them scare us to death.  Lightning literally kills 10,000 people every year around the word.  So take heart, it might get me (3 previous bouts of pneumonia and hypertension), but most of you basturds are going to make it.  :calm:laugh

The below numbers are just for the US.  The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year worldwide.   

In the US, the CDC estimates that, from October 1, 2019, through March 14, 2020, there have been:

38,000,000 – 54,000,000
flu illnesses

person coughing icon

17,000,000 – 25,000,000
flu medical visits

doctor patient icon

390,000 – 710,000
flu hospitalizations

hospital room icon

23,000 – 59,000
flu deaths

flu virus icon

• Like 1

Bearcat 74

Yeah but those aren’t new shiny numbers from a new disease that a friend of mine had on his medical exams in 2007  

The flu has been killing people forever, can’t be skeert of no flubug!

• Haha 1

Mike Rinderle

As for effect on me:

General Manager at a large logistics terminal.  Our business is down 50% month over month, but we are deemed essential and should continue operating through this unless the economy completely crashes and nobody is shipping anything.  I've had to let all my temp staff go and we have cut back hours for our hourly employees. 

Biggest change is the 4 yo being home instead of pre-school.  My wife is HR and payroll for a large highway construction company, so they are also essential and working.  To make sure we have someone with the boy, I have been working from 2AM to 10, heading home, and then she goes to work from 11 - 6.  Not having any time together sucks.  Keeping the boy entertained when it rains also bites big hairy ones.  But, gotta keep paying those bills to our masters.

richcottrell

Well it looks like this “international public enemy number one” just got upgraded:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-coronavirus-survived-in-princess-cruise-cabins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html?fbclid=IwAR1I6OZxdffSOBdpSLyVCm5w9AHUzbecBKCxMw9BcjMOmNp96MAbTD-vgRw

So, if they first said the virus can only live on a surface for 3 days, but now it might be over two weeks, that changes a bunch of details in how this thing can be avoided as well as how long it can hang around 

While I am typing, I would like to point out one of the real world problems in the USA.  It is two things but they are related, and these both come down to just one thing - money...  which is real sad thing because the amount of wealth this country has.

1) we do not have nearly enough tests in our country.  Doctors who have potentially gotten this virus from undiagnosed patients are not being tested until they too get sick which means the healthcare workers might be spreading the virus for many days before they even know they have it.

2) lack of supplies.

we  now see manufacturing supply companies “donating” rubber gloves and industrial masks, while temporary triage hospitals are being set up that must circumvent some labor and heath laws.  Healthcare workers are now allowed to use bandanas if they run out of masks.  (Who would have thought in the year 2020, my hospital would have to turn to The Hells Angles to get medical supplies?) Finally, if you do get this virus is you might wind up needing to be put on a respirator in the hospital.  The reason this is a problem, is there are simply not going to be enough respirators in the hospitals for all the patients who will need them.

Climber028

The testing has nothing to do with money, we had the theoretical ability to test everybody two months ago but our super smart regulations didn't allow most tests to be used at the time. 

richcottrell
1 minute ago, Climber028 said:

The testing has nothing to do with money, we had the theoretical ability to test everybody two months ago but our super smart regulations didn't allow most tests to be used at the time. 

Then I admit I am confused... how is it other countries have enough tests to test patients as needed, but here, literally if you should be tested, the hospitals are rationing the tests?

are you saying there is a stockpile of test kits that the US government has been sitting on?

for the normal seasonal flu test, I can just walk down the street to CVS any day of the week and have a test done.

Climber028

Other countries don't have our FDA. They have limited the types of tests that can be used, there is no actual shortage but an artifical shortage since they are being overly picky. So there may be a dozen types of tests available in the world, but we are only allowed to use 1 or 2, because reasons. 

Hannes
3 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Other countries don't have our FDA. They have limited the types of tests that can be used, there is no actual shortage but an artifical shortage since they are being overly picky. So there may be a dozen types of tests available in the world, but we are only allowed to use 1 or 2, because reasons. 

Then you should be happy it's not like FDA's counterpart in Iceland. It makes the FDA look like a hippie that thinks "It's all good".

Climber028

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/3/17/21182512/covid-19-testing-co-diagnostics-testing-kits-fda-approval-utah-tech-community-silicon-slopes

Cliff notes are that we have a company that can supply up to 50k tests per day, that cost $10 and take an hour and a half. They are already approved and used in Europe, but the FDA says we can't use them until they allow it. This is just one of many examples. 

king crusher
1 hour ago, richcottrell said:

Well it looks like this “international public enemy number one” just got upgraded:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-coronavirus-survived-in-princess-cruise-cabins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html?fbclid=IwAR1I6OZxdffSOBdpSLyVCm5w9AHUzbecBKCxMw9BcjMOmNp96MAbTD-vgRw

So, if they first said the virus can only live on a surface for 3 days, but now it might be over two weeks, that changes a bunch of details in how this thing can be avoided as well as how long it can hang around 

While I am typing, I would like to point out one of the real world problems in the USA.  It is two things but they are related, and these both come down to just one thing - money...  which is real sad thing because the amount of wealth this country has.

1) we do not have nearly enough tests in our country.  Doctors who have potentially gotten this virus from undiagnosed patients are not being tested until they too get sick which means the healthcare workers might be spreading the virus for many days before they even know they have it.

2) lack of supplies.

we  now see manufacturing supply companies “donating” rubber gloves and industrial masks, while temporary triage hospitals are being set up that must circumvent some labor and heath laws.  Healthcare workers are now allowed to use bandanas if they run out of masks.  (Who would have thought in the year 2020, my hospital would have to turn to The Hells Angles to get medical supplies?) Finally, if you do get this virus is you might wind up needing to be put on a respirator in the hospital.  The reason this is a problem, is there are simply not going to be enough respirators in the hospitals for all the patients who will need them.

Not enough people are scared I guess. So when people get used to and relax over the two week life span on hard surfaces they will come out and say it now can live 1 month on surfaces and be immune to lysol.  After that it will grow teeth and bite.

• Like 2

Bearcat 74

I bet it knows we’re after it and it keeps mutating.   It will turn into a Coranimal and hunt us down.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

king crusher
11 minutes ago, Bearcat 74 said:

I bet it knows we’re after it and it keeps mutating.   It will turn into a Coranimal and hunt us down.   

It will look like that pig face warrior in the movie predator.  I wonder if I can borrow that bad ass bow from Arnold.

In other news the stimulus was shot down again by one of the parties. Can we not mention which one? 

• Like 2

Bearcat 74

The BS put in the bill is unreal. 

I like the opening of the speech by Kennedy yesterday on the human brain. 

We need to cut down trees while still can so we can make bows.  Pretty soon they’ll carry corona. 

As a reloader all my stash is Rona free.  Gonna churn out some Rona free pewpews here pretty soon.  

• Haha 1

Bearcat 74
4 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Last year,  an estimated 606,880 people died of cancer in the United States alone. This would mean the news on TV would highlight the death count as 1662 people  PER day.  That would be 69 people EVERY hour ever day.  

This panic will need to end before the lockdown decimates the US and other parts of the world because the result of this will be much much worse than the virus itself.  Way worse.

Ive seen it posted that we can’t let the cure be greater than the problem.  Seems like you’re saying the same thing. 

• Like 3