Anyone else have their commercial gym close?

king crusher

Like the title states,  anyone else?

In the  24 years since I've been going to gyms, this is the first time any have closed. 

I have a few things I can do at home at least. 

Yes, all gyms in NY, CT and NJ closed tonight. I live in NY. I got my last workout in at the gym right before it closed at 8pm. I have a power lifter friend who lives around the corner and I can do the heavy barbell movements at his house and bring my small loading pin grip stuff. I also just bought a band set that anchors to the door for accessory stuff like lat pulls downs etc. I live in a coop apartment so I am doing what I can to keep my training up. 

Edited by Chez

What's great about grip is that I think most of us train it at home. Or, it seems that way.  :)

• Like 3

Haven't trained in a big box gym in well over a decade.  I like to be home alone to better embrace my failure.

The shed of pain may be hot as balls in the summer and cold as ice in the winter, but it's open 24/7/365.  

• Like 5

My climbing gym has closed. I have a full basement gym as well as grip stuff so I'll be fine but it's a slight inconvenience. 

The Lifetime Kristy goes to closed. They are refunding dues for the days they are shut.  That seemed unnecessary but a real nice gesture.  

Our entire basement is a gym so she is good to go!  She has been training very hard for a May powerlifting meet that will almost certainly be canceled.  But let the gainz continue!

I mostly run these days so unless they close the outdoors, I'll be okay. 😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cannon said:

The Lifetime Kristy goes to closed. They are refunding dues for the days they are shut.  That seemed unnecessary but a real nice gesture.  

Our entire basement is a gym so she is good to go!  She has been training very hard for a May powerlifting meet that will almost certainly be canceled.  But let the gainz continue!

I mostly run these days so unless they close the outdoors, I'll be okay. 😂

Lifetime is so expensive, good thing they are refunding dues! My gym is also refunding dues the email stated.

Commercial gyms are so cheap it doesnt make sense not to have a membership imo. 10/mo gets you FAR more equipment than you could ever have at home. You're never gonna make your money back on a huge home gym but with that said I know it's not only about the money.

I like having a few things at home too. I used to have a full setup but found I just got better workouts at the actual gym with how many pieces of equipment they have.

1 minute ago, king crusher said:

Commercial gyms are so cheap it doesnt make sense not to have a membership imo. 10/mo gets you FAR more equipment than you could ever have at home. You're never gonna make your money back on a huge home gym but with that said I know it's not only about the money.

For her the gym is her entire hobby and social hub. She's been with Lifetime for over 26 years!  I think she joined when it was a single MN location. 

• Like 1

All gyms in Ohio are closed - restaurants - bars - election is postponed

9 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Lifetime is so expensive, good thing they are refunding dues! My gym is also refunding dues the email stated.

I like having a few things at home too. I used to have a full setup but found I just got better workouts at the actual gym with how many pieces of equipment they have.

The shed of pain has all the implements of torture that I need.  Several different bars, a rack, bench, bands, a pully system I made, and a dozen + grip tools.  Throw in my large rock / boulder collection and my farmers handles from AASS, along with the family treadmill and I can't imagine ever needing anything else.  I also have access to a very large trail system and my community beach, both within a 5 minute walk from my house.

The shed's 12 X 24 with tall enough ceiling to do OHP, so plenty of room.  I mean it's no Chris Rice @climber511  home gym, but it means I don't have to socialize with anyone... ever... so I got that going for me.  

• Like 2

Yes, the gyms here in Washington State are closed. We are currently having good weather here so I expected to see a lot more people out walking and running (practicing their social distancing), but I think most people are freaked out and not even getting out of their houses to walk.

I use a home gym but my bothers commercial gym closed so he's coming to my place. Any tips to get the sucker to re-rack the weights? 🤣

10 hours ago, king crusher said:

Like the title states,  anyone else?

In the  24 years since I've been going to gyms, this is the first time any have closed. 

I have a few things I can do at home at least. 

The guys answered you already, but Dubai/UAE is also same since a week now. All gyms are closed, but that turned out very good for Leader Sports. Literally the showrooms are full from people buying gyms equipment's from us :) 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I use a home gym but my bothers commercial gym closed so he's coming to my place. Any tips to get the sucker to re-rack the weights? 🤣

Good Luck with that LOL.  I have people asking to workout here fairly often.  Over the years I have allowed only a very few people to lift in my gym - they either rerack and clean up their chalk or they don't lift here anymore.  Only one guy is still lifting here if that tells you anything.  I like lifting alone.

• Like 2

Robert Frank has weighed in on the gym closure situation in New Jersey.  Volume low if you are at work.

• Haha 1

I've built a pretty ridiculous home gym over the years. I prefer not wait or have someone else's snot on the equipment.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

I've built a pretty ridiculous home gym over the years. I prefer not wait or have someone else's snot on the equipment.

Fact.

• Like 1

Mine in south America is about to get closed... I guess it's time to start a deload period. Will keep working on my grip strength at home anyway.

:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Robert Frank has weighed in on the gym closure situation in New Jersey.  Volume low if you are at work.

Stepien Dungeon is open!.... But, not for him!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JStepien said:

Stepien Dungeon is open!.... But, not for him!

He'd have you jacked, tan, and juicy AF in no time big John.  🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

The shed of pain has all the implements of torture that I need.  Several different bars, a rack, bench, bands, a pully system I made, and a dozen + grip tools.  Throw in my large rock / boulder collection and my farmers handles from AASS, along with the family treadmill and I can't imagine ever needing anything else.  I also have access to a very large trail system and my community beach, both within a 5 minute walk from my house.

The shed's 12 X 24 with tall enough ceiling to do OHP, so plenty of room.  I mean it's no Chris Rice @climber511  home gym, but it means I don't have to socialize with anyone... ever... so I got that going for me.  

King of social distance here

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

How Freudian. 

I have a decent basement gym, though I don’t have quite enough plates to deadlift effectively. I can still squat, press, do axle, grip, etc. 

I wish I had a home gym. I own a coop apartment in the suburbs north of NYC. Its crazy expensive here. 

• Like 1

My gym is still open, and I'm fairly sure most in Australia still are. If it does close down I have my bench, dumbbells, a bunch of weight plates, and my grip equipment to keep me going. I'm half hoping it does close down for a while, because then I'll have an excuse to skip leg days for an extended period.

Mine is still open as well (Australia) - but probably not for much longer at the rate things are being cranked up to "flatten the curve".

All good though - plenty of cardio and shed full of grip stuff (some long neglected) to play with . On top of that the office is being split to alternate working from home for a week. Not such a bad outcome!

• Like 1