Hello I'm going to grip a lot

Clayton Gripslee

Henlo, I'm not sure how far I'm going to take this but I only recently started training in a gym, I'm currently 29 years old and 190 BW as of starting this thread. I started with basic machines and did some barbell stuff for the first time , and then I started to transition more towards strongman, as I was doing strongman I realized I had amazing grip for zero training and I think I'm going to focus on grip and gripsport with strongman as my base strength training. This will be a training log for me and should help me keep track of my progress. 

All my grippers ratings are by CPW

Curent main goal- Certify on the CoC 3.0 before October of 2021.

Current best close - CCS close the gg4@114

Current progress goal - CCS close my HG250@113

Last progress on goal - MMS HG250 @113  (03/18/2020) wide set HG250 @115  (03/19/2020) CCS GG4@114 (03/25/2020) 4 reps MMS gg4@114 (03/26/2020)

other grip Goals and records

RGT Goal: 150lbs

Current RGT PB: 110lbs both hands with and without the thumb on both.

Hub goal: Not sure, don't really know what to aim for but I like to use it to train my thumb.

Hub PB: 50lbs 

DOH axle Deadlift Goal: 300lbs

Current DOH Axle DL PB: 255 lbs

Edited by Clayton Gripslee
  • Like 4

This thread will be a running list of grip equipment I own.

Current gripper lineup is 

Gg2 - no ratimg

GG3 - no rating

HG250@113

GG4@114

HG250@115

GG5@142

HG300@147

Other grip tools:

Rolling grip thing by Grip Genie (RGT for short)

Rick Roller 

Grip Genie Fat grips

Forearm grower (pipe and string +weight)

full set of Extensor bands

• Like 1

Workout Monday 03/16/2020

I competed in my first Strongman competition last weekend 03/07 and only went to the gym once last week for a short grip session, so Yesterday was my first serious session since my contest, oh man was it hard.

Mobility work:

single leg RDL with 20lb dumbbell 3x15

banded lateral walks 3x15

Strongman Stuff:

Log C&P 4X4 @ 125 lbs

Yoke 3X100ft @ 360lbs

Farmers 4x50@ 135lbs stopping and holding till failure after each run

My legs and core limit me more than my grip does on farmers, I was doing fat grip dumbells for farmers for a while so I could do less weight but now I need the core stability and leg power more than the grip strength LOL

On 3/17/2020 at 8:46 PM, Clayton Gripslee said:

Note to self: do gripper work BEFORE other grip work and you will get maximum training for both.

I also learned that any thick bar work will ruin your grip for the rest of the workout, so do any and all thick bar last.

• Like 2

Had a good session with my trainer focusing on high intensity full body work and some really interesting mobility movements. 

8 Degree lunges W/20lb kettlebell

(lunge straight forward, lunge 45 degrees forward, lunge sideways, reverse LUNGE, Switch legs and do it again, that is one rep) 

5reps 3sets

3min rests

These are amazing for mobility, but holy crap they were hard, and surprisingly fun. 

Dumbell RDLs 35# per hand 3x15

Superset

Single leg jumps 50ft per leg 3 sets

also 2 min rests

35# incline dumbbell press 3x8

Superset

Knees to chest as strict as possible 3x15

And another 2 min rest

Overhead Yoke walks @185#s 50ft x 2

I barely did these and had to set it down a few times but I can do them

After everything I decided to try a max effort close and was able to absolutely smash my HG250@113 and hold it closed for a few seconds with no trouble, felt like I had another 20lbs in me, but that might just be Ego lol

a was showing my coach how to set a heavier gripper with my GG5@142, didn't really get near a close but I gave it a solid 90% effort and got it past SB range with zero tendon pain and that makes me excited for more

didn't tax grip too heavily yesterday, but enough to blow my chances at a real 1RM, so today I'm going to just work on setting and closing my GG2 as efficiently as possible, no chalk and just do a comfortable wide set (not sure the best terminology here, its wider than a block set but less than a CCS) Starting at Noon every time my hand feels ready I will close it and mark it down.

the goal here is to work on setting and making the gripper as easy as possible even when my hands start to get tired. I'm going to set a timer for 5 mins and attempt a close every 5 mins

Update: I managed 60 closes in roughly 5 hours, going to attempt a difficult close now

Update 2: absolutely smashed my HG250@115 from a fairly wide set

Close was slightly out of frame but it was smashed nonetheless 

Hands are not happy and will need a long rest

• Like 2

City closed all gyms Friday so I had to improvise a workout but I really didn't dedicate much time to any of these

Banded overhead squats

RGT + band wrist curls

Banded RGT rows

I really shouldn't even call this a workout but those were the only movements I tried that I think offered real resistance.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Clayton Gripslee said:

City closed all gyms Friday so I had to improvise a workout but I really didn't dedicate much time to any of these

Is the issue that you don't have enough plates at home? Easy enough to remedy. Amazon and Walmart have plates that are expensive for what they are, but being able to train effectively at home has been a game changer for me.

13 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

Is the issue that you don't have enough plates at home? Easy enough to remedy. Amazon and Walmart have plates that are expensive for what they are, but being able to train effectively at home has been a game changer for me.

I have 0 plates at home, I don't even have a loading pin for my RGT yet, but in reality it was my own laziness that prevented my from a quality workout more than lack of equipment.

• Like 1

Okay managed a decent workout yesterday

3x12 per hand RGT double banded row+wrist curl

the only band I have is pretty light so I double it up on this and try to get as much ROM as I can for maximum force. I was thinking about posting a video of this and a few of the other interesting (to me) movements that I do, please let me know if you are interested in that.

I wanted a way to test my arm strength against a friend while giving him a bit of a handicap so I just connected my rick roller to my RGT and had my buddy hold the Rick Roller fully unwound so it took less grip strength and I held the RGT and had him pull with max effort and oh boy was it fun, we were actually pretty evenly matched under those circumstances even when I switched hands, we did about 20-30 secs of max effort pulls with each hand for 5 rounds

We were both pretty fired up from that so we decided to actually Arm wrestle for a bit and man it was fun, I was definitely better than him but he wasn't an instant pin, and gave me some good resistance, I learned a lot.

finished off with a superset of banded squat variations, did this for 3 sets

10 Overhead banded squats

15 banded bodyweight squats focusing on the upright torso for maximum band tension

20 banded good mornings

• Like 1

Also did a gripper workout yesterday 

TNS closes 5 sets with each hand 5 reps with the Gg2 and reps till failure with the gg3

By the end of this my fingertips were on fire, but I think it was perfect for me, and I'm going to do CCS attempts today, maybe MMS if my fingertips are too tender

• Like 1

Today was practice with CCS closes, gg2 x 5 x 2

Gg3 x 5 x 3

Gg4@114 missed 1st rep by >10mm, missed second rep after set slipped and crushed the third attempt on video, still need to work on this set, but this is a big milestone. 

I rarely do anything after a grip PR

• Like 3

MMS closes today 

GG4 4 reps

Did an attempt with my 142 Gg5 and got pretty close

GG4 5 reps

GG4 6 reps (missed rep 6 by a few MM)

VideoCapture_20200326-175035.jpg

• Like 1

Snuck n some time in the gym, had a good workout 

Emom 10" log C&P @ 125# 8x3

35lb plate farmers with band around knees 3x100ft, 2 min rests

80lb atlas stone to shoulder 1 per side 1 min rests 4 sets

Planks with 45lb plate for 1 min with 1 minute rests 3 sets

Did some max time SB holds because I hate my hands but didn't record any times

Strongman Sunday today and i wanted to do Axle deadlifts

Worked up to a DOH axle PR of 255lbs 

Put on a belt and straps and did

255x3

205x5x5

Upside down kettlebell presses superset with plate curls

UDKBP 20x7x3

Plate curls 10x10x3

• Like 2

Been focusing only heavy attempts with different sets and trying to find some of my training limits. 

I have been feeling really good about the attempts even if I know I probably won't close it, it feels good to put max effort into something. I almost closed my gg5 after about 5 days of heavy attempts every day I only stopped because my palms got torn up on that attempt. 

Basically I can train as hard as I want as often as I want and I just need to get my hands conditioned for gripping

Really close MMS attempt, but I need to give my hands a break 

20200411_140344.jpg

I am pretty sure I can close this gripper, just need to get a good set with fresh hands