2020 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Eric Roussin

On 7/8/2020 at 7:44 AM, glenn_the_hunter said:

Unfortunately we are back in strict lockdown for the next six weeks...

I don't know what that means for us in October

0001.jpg

there is plenty of time, don't worry 

here in austria/tyrol we had the hardest lockdown in the last months. now all is alright, we can do all, inside venues up to 500 persons, outside up to 2500 persons.

but if a new lockdown comes we have no problems, the penalty is maximum only 1000€ (1200$) so we can do king kong with no issues and no masks.

I haven’t posted much recently about King Kong. With the effect that the pandemic has had on everyone’s plans this year, I’ve had trouble finding the motivation to promote the contest. Logistical problems have also arisen, making it a challenge to get necessary equipment in the hands of some King Kong promoters. I think we can all agree that so far, 2020 hasn’t been awesome.

A couple of people have inquired about whether the contest will be occurring. My answer is “YES”. Due to the multi-venue, multi-country nature of the event, King Kong will go on, with the understanding that it is possible that not all locations may be able to take part. Each country/state/province is issuing its own rules/guidance for sporting events during the pandemic, and we will be encouraging individual promoters to take steps and make decisions as they see fit to ensure a safe experience for all.

Regardless of the number of venues and competitors that take part (whether 5 or 25), King Kong will go on. All classes and prizing will remain the same. If you plan to compete and have questions about a particular venue, I encourage you to reach out to the venue promoter directly. Promoters are identified in the first post of this thread. If you have trouble finding contact information, please let me know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Note that there are already 22 likely venues in 10 countries. :)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Note that there are already 22 likely venues in 10 countries. :)

It looks that overall, only one previously participating European country (Italy) has not, to date, indicated they will be participating this year. All things considered, that is impressive.

As always, we appreciate your Leadership Eric.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

It looks that overall, only one previously participating European country (Italy) has not, to date, indicated they will be participating this year. All things considered, that is impressive.

As always, we appreciate your Leadership Eric.

italy is catastrophic these days. the lockdown killed so many jobs. we were in holiday at venice last week because their lockdown is over and no tourists.

all italians are very frightened. they wear mask not because they are forced, they wear because they are in FEAR. also most people lost their money and savings. 

we are in tough with our italian friends, they are welcome at our venue with no starting fee

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kong.jpg.55ddd27d27f4cbb3372597b619c149b9.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I think there’s still a bit of uncertainty about what is and isn’t permitted with the Grab Ball, so I shot this little video. I hope it helps. If anyone still has questions, please let me know.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WestSlope said:

↑↑↑ humble brag ripped to shreds forearm vid ↑↑↑ 🇨🇦

If my forearms were that ripped, I'd be putting out daily rule videos!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now St. Petersburg (Russia) is ready for King Kong!

Got the Crusher 2.25" and Grab ball!

IMG_4948.thumb.jpg.ad4a438020db168df6ac793944a39f07.jpg

• Like 10

Another promoter has been added. Assuming the lockdown is lifted, Joe Hodgson will be hosting a venue in Sydney, Australia. This means Australia's two largest cities would be represented in King Kong!

• Like 5

I'll be helping @Chad Gustin with the Lawrence, Kansas venue.  And it's technically going to be in Lecompton, Kansas for those interested.  It's only 18 miles away.  Lawrence is a lot more recognizable so he went with that. 

I hope some of you can make it out to this competition.  It will feature social distancing, plenty of room (warehouse type building), and masks will be mandatory for all competitors and attendees. 

He will be attempting to break the IronMind double Rolling Thunder max pullup weight record at the contest. :cool  I asked him if I could share that because I knew it would be a draw for some people.  I look forward to recording it and watching the IronMind news update soon after. 

My wife and 7-year-old daughter will be competing.  I'm very pleased about that. :D

@Randall Strossen

• Like 5

On 8/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, Eric Roussin said:

Another promoter has been added. Assuming the lockdown is lifted, Joe Hodgson will be hosting a venue in Sydney, Australia. This means Australia's two largest cities would be represented in King Kong!

Sydney Vs. Melbourne*, big time rivalry 😁

*Hopefully

24 minutes ago, Zeus95 said:

Any ideas what the heaviest lift is with the grab ball? Mine just came in this week, and I will be trying it out soon

I think a small handful may break 200 lbs.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any details on the Tenn venue? This would be my first year so I am not sure of the process.

14 minutes ago, monstrosity said:

Does anyone have any details on the Tenn venue? This would be my first year so I am not sure of the process.

I've just sent you Gil Goodman's email address. He's the venue host and will be able to fill you in on all of the details.

ADDITIONAL VENUE:

King Kong is coming to Indiana! John O’Connor will be hosting a venue at Stout Barbell on October 24th.

• Like 4

They aren't replacing my hip until November 3rd.  So I'll be competing up at Jedd's if the pain isn't too bad.  Haven't trained grip since before last year's King Kong.  Plan on going in cold like I used to.  :)

• Like 6

On 9/4/2020 at 7:30 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

They aren't replacing my hip until November 3rd.  So I'll be competing up at Jedd's if the pain isn't too bad.  Haven't trained grip since before last year's King Kong.  Plan on going in cold like I used to.  :)

Here's to a very successful replacement on November 3!  In the meantime, looking forward to seeing you at the comp (I plan to attend Jedd's venue also).  And these are SO not my natural events, so I have no delusions of distinguishing myself and will simply enjoy the lifts and the company and hopefully some drink thereafter.  Be well!

• Thanks 1

I got mine today, too.  Wyalusing Hotel Historic building.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 7:30 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

What's going on with the hip Mike?  Just worn-out?

1 hour ago, nickr104 said:

What's going on with the hip Mike?  Just worn-out?

Yup.  Apparently I had pretty bad dysplasia in that hip, which led to bad arthritis, loss of the cartilage, and labrum tears with a syst.

• Like 1

ADDITIONAL VENUE:

Misel Jeddore will be bringing grip sport to the Maritimes! He will be hosting a venue in St. John’s, Newfoundland!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...