2020 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Eric Roussin

On 3/23/2020 at 1:51 PM, Eric Roussin said:

The confirmed venue list keeps growing... (see first post)

You know, this might be my favorite current thread on the forum right now. Everyone’s plans for whatever they were doing, going, watching this Spring, and now it looks like, Summer, are gone/changed/over/dropped/kaput. 

But the end of October, 2020? Even the most pessimistic person believes this “thing” ruining our plans will be over. And we don’t have to go to a gym to prepare for it. We are going to have a good time, it’s one of the only Sure Things we can predict for 2020.

Every time I see a new venue added, a new country added, I feel good about Life. I think a lot of our hobby/sport/obsession is silly/goofy/overrated. But this year, this thing is BIG. It gives you something to look forward to, a certainty in a screwed up uncertain world. And trust me, unlike some, I do NOT feel like this Forum is a benevolent fraternity banding together and making the world a better place. But for one day, all across the world, for the participants, it ain’t too bad...

• Like 9

I agree with you Mike with all the madness going around right now. Feels good to have something to look forward to. Right now I'm  stuck at home with nothing to do but train to do some work around the house 

• Like 2

The video below made me think of the King Kong contest. Here are multiple musicians playing the same song, from all around the world, some of them famous, almost famous, and many regular people. I think the video is about 6 months old. It's been done for other songs as well. 

It has musicians from five continents, the 2019 King Kong had four. But we had Australia!

It has maybe 20 different performers. We had over 200!

There were people from 10 different countries. We had 12! And multiple venues in Canada! Robbie Robertson is Canadian however...

I counted performers in 6 different US states. We had 10!

Plus, obviously this group of performers stole Eric's idea from the concept of the King Kong contest. But it is a cool enough video I think that the saying Imitation is the sincerest form of Flattery should apply here:

Yes, we are as Diverse a group as anything on the Planet. 😎...

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Grab ball rules.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Our equipment is almost here...if i refresh the USPS website again it might crash

We're expecting a government announcement in 2 days, hopefully we can start getting the word out after.

I'm aiming for 12-15 participants.

On that note, any tips for running larger events? How did you keep it running smoothly?

Edited by glenn_the_hunter
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 7:48 AM, Hubgeezer said:

[...] I usually do best on events where I don’t have the official implement (Flask for example). Don’t let a quarter of an inch on an implement stop you from having a good time.  King Kong is fun, and it’s something to look forward to doing in a post-Corona Virus world in 7 months.

Does anyone know the dimensions of each of the implements and a good DIY substitute? I put down below some options I was playing with.

2.25” crusher - dimensions obvious - any rolling handle I suppose would work here

grab ball - diameter? - A baseball, softball, or even a wooden sphere 

IM little big horn - base diameter, top diameter, height of implement- I am at a loss as to how to make or get a substitute here

flask - simulates 2 45s so dimensions available - maybe various plate pinch or an IM pinch block?

Edited by monstrosity
Proper name for anvil

13 hours ago, monstrosity said:

Does anyone know the dimensions of each of the implements and a good DIY substitute? I put down below some options I was playing with.

2.25” crusher - dimensions obvious - any rolling handle I suppose would work here

IM little big horn - base diameter, top diameter, height of implement- I am at a loss as to how to make or get a substitute here

flask - simulates 2 45s so dimensions available - maybe various plate pinch or an IM pinch block?

I will half-answer your questions. Sorry, not doing the reach back into the specs on the gadgets.

1. Crusher. I will just use the Rolling Thunder. Are they the same? No, but as far as I am concerned, close enough.

2. Grab Ball. It’s inexpensive. I see no alternative for me other than to buy one. Seems unique.

3. Little Big Horn. I have an ancient one, less slope to it. Can do more on it, which I think is a good thing. Some sort of a thick vertical bar would be helpful.

4. The Flask has great texture, which probably means you can lift more on it than a device with a similar lift. You want to get used to lifting as heavy weights as you can.

My approach does not dive as deeply as what others may choose to do, I imagine a few DYIers here will offer more detailed ideas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, monstrosity said:

The grab ball is roughly the size of a baseball. Be careful not to slide your fingers under the midline, to simulate the flange. (I felt it was worth buying a grab ball.)

I’m using a 2 7/8 vertical bar from Arm Assassin to train the little big horn. It won’t be perfect but it’ll do the job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm using a 2" (actually 2-1/16") steel pinch block to do my best to simulate & train for The Flask.  The Flask measures 2-3/16" wide.  One issue my setup has is that the block can tilt a bit more than The Flask does.  I need to mount the block to the loading pin more solidly.

• Like 2

I also went ahead and bought a grab ball.  I just didn't see myself cobbling together anything even close to what it will feel like, and I'm glad I bought it.  You definitely want to have a feel for that implement going into a competition.

On 3/12/2020 at 5:07 PM, bencrush said:

@John McCarterIf you are hosting a venue again this year I might be able to make it out again.  Also, a KC-area strongman is interested and asked me if you were holding it again this year.  So I'll let him know if you are. 

@John McCarter I don't think you saw this question from 2 months ago. 

Sorry about that Ben.

I want to address something about a Missouri venue and my involvement for hosting the venue. Really, this could be my future with grip.

I want to take a few moments to explain the situation. I've contacted Eric about this years King Kong; I cannot remember when I did this.

I have no intentions of hosting a venue. This was something I intended from 2019's King Kong the night before the contest. That will be the last contest I host.

I haven't really been involved in grip for a while. This really stems from burnout and I've actively stayed away from grip. From time I may play with a #3, attempt heavy weights on the hub and what I may want to attempt, but I've lost interest in training and competing.

I have attempted to start training and lose interest. I haven't lost strength, it's there but there's something mentally that prevents me from getting back with it. 

Sorry if anyone had hopes for a venue in the Show Me State but it won't happen unless someone else wants to take over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Sorry about that Ben.

I want to address something about a Missouri venue and my involvement for hosting the venue. Really, this could be my future with grip.

I want to take a few moments to explain the situation. I've contacted Eric about this years King Kong; I cannot remember when I did this.

I have no intentions of hosting a venue. This was something I intended from 2019's King Kong the night before the contest. That will be the last contest I host.

I haven't really been involved in grip for a while. This really stems from burnout and I've actively stayed away from grip. From time I may play with a #3, attempt heavy weights on the hub and what I may want to attempt, but I've lost interest in training and competing.

I have attempted to start training and lose interest. I haven't lost strength, it's there but there's something mentally that prevents me from getting back with it. 

Sorry if anyone had hopes for a venue in the Show Me State but it won't happen unless someone else wants to take over.

Very sorry to hear this, John. You are an awesome guy and I hope you have great success with whatever hobby takes the place of grip. Maybe someday the fire to train and compete will return...and when it does it'll be fun times! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deathgrip said:

Any word on an Australian venue this year?

Would hate to miss out on the fun.

Hey mate, we'll be running an event in Melbourne

Just waiting for a few things to align before we start sending out details

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have all the implements for King Kong 2020, I’m in the Portland, OR area. If the Oregon venue needs some additional implements I would definitely bring them to the venue.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2020 at 6:17 AM, Michael Wilfong said:

I have all the implements for King Kong 2020, I’m in the Portland, OR area. If the Oregon venue needs some additional implements I would definitely bring them to the venue.

Hello,  I will be hosting the Oregon venue(Gresham) and look forward to meeting you- maybe bring flask as mine is very, very slippery. I wont be using Gripboard much in the future so you can get in touch with me at mcttris1@gmail.com. Take it easy, Michael Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 7:54 AM, Johnathomson said:

Just curious how you enter yourself in?

john

Each individual promoter has their own process. Do you know where you would likely compete?

30 minutes with a sewing machine and my temporary replacement for Grab Ball is ready:)

IMG_0919.jpg

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Unfortunately we are back in strict lockdown for the next six weeks...

I don't know what that means for us in October

0001.jpg

• Sad 1