Thumb up sledge walking question

Blackjaw

Can someone post a video and/or talk me through the thumb up sledge walk? It seems really tough to me and I can't quite figure out the sequence of how to hold the place on the sledge while making progress on the 'walk'. Also interested in what exactly is being worked if it is done correctly, it seems pretty 'Thumb intensive' but maybe I am doing it wrong.

Thanks for the help,

Rick   

Its a tough one. I have a 6lbs sledge with a short handle, probably 2ft...I just started using that for walks. Idk what is worked, but it feels similar to  my "Twist yo Wrist' roller. I only do them in between lifts, or at work with a hammer when i'm anxious/bored.

Yeah, with the thumb pointed down the shaft it isn't to bad, but walking it down with your thumb towards the sky is a lot harder (at least for me)

Start with a lighter object such as a broom or a wooden dowel. You are using too much weight if the motion isn’t working 

• Like 3

I got a replacement sledge handle for this, but haven't tried it yet. Definitely can't do it with my 8lb

This was in every Gripmas Medley since the beginning.  I use a piece of 3/4" (1" OD) with tape on the bottom to hold a 2 1/2# or 5# plate.  Start light and learn "how" then add weight gradually.  It's a fun little challenge.  Sledge handles are a little harder than the PVC but doable with some practice.  An 8# sledge is quite a handful done this way.

• Like 3

Appreciate all of the advice! I practiced just with a broom handle to get the movement and that 'thumb slide' down the handle is an interesting move. I'll take Climber 511 and make something loadable and work may way towards a goal with this movement. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started thes with that empty sledge handle, a short chain rubber banded on, and 2.5lb plate, 6lbs total. Still figuring out the dexterity part of it, really strange movement.

• 4 weeks later...

Making quick progress, even with dexterity balls and normal fingerwalks all the time, I had no real starting point for this particular type of dexterity with an 8lb sledge. Gotta start lighter, and even at 5-6lbs it takes a while to click.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the video, I am still struggling with this one but your video has pointed out a few things that I am doing differently/wrong. I am stuck on ~4lbs currently and getting frustrated by my lack of progress.

Rick

I’ve done it thumbs down with a 10lb sledgehammer just out of boredom (I don’t train specifically for it or do it as part of normal training) but never once thought about trying it thumbs up! 

• 1 month later...

Up to 11lbs hard way, 19lbs easy way. Was hoping there would be a little more traction on this, anybody else working on these?