Whiskey & Grip 2020

Stephen Anderson

I hosted this contest this weekend to get more local guys involved. It turned out pretty good we had 5 participants which was pretty good for such short notice.

I did not hit any major PR’s but i have been staying pretty consistent given my inconsistency in training here lately. 

i did have some guys that were at my previous comp. they both hit several PR’s on SB, Axle and Saxon!

The biggest lift of the day went to @Roy Golden he managed to pull 92.3lbs on the blockbuster pinch block. This is an implement we just acquired a week ago! Big lifts coming from him in the future! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I thought that just went without saying.... lol

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stephen Anderson said:

I thought that just went without saying.... lol

Seriously though, it's not just Tom. I want to know what you had. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jameson it is always my go too 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cannon said:

@Roy Golden deserves Jamison for that monster blockbuster lift!

He got plenty haha also to mention he did this lift at the very end of the comp!

• Like 1

I had to drive about 20 minutes home, so you will all be dissapointed to hear that I just had a PBR coffee (weird but don't knock it till you try it) and some miller lite.

As for the rest, I came in about 181 lbs, not enough notice to get down to 80kg, but that's fine. I wanted to try it, and good to know the extra weight doesn't really help with grip stuff (helps with bending though.) So got that figured out now.

We did silver bullet, I was going to skip it but felt it out and thought it would go, 2.5 for 7ish seconds, meh.

Did axle, was going to skip it too because it messed up my triceps and I couldn't bend for a long time, tried it anyway, don't remember what I got, I think I might have failed 255 or got it, not sure, meh.

3" saxon 2nd time touching this bar and got 135 last time, so we did 125, 135, 145, 155 (left hand was tilting down, tore a big flapper on my thumb last week bending a red nail somehow, weird, skin wasn't quite recovered) then almost locked out 165 but left hand slipped. I think that wore me out.

Rolling thunder I got 125 lefty, didnt think  I would get any further so left it at that.

By the time we did hub my arms were fried, felt like 2 day old DOMs and it hurt to pick anything up, but I got 60ish right hand. Good for 67 lefty in training, but again my thumb skin wasn't there (literally.)

Blockbuster same thing, arms fried. I hit 68 I think. Good for 77 in training righty.

And it was my hub and blockbuster, both chalked well, no other excuses but I was worn out at that point.

I usually train heavy singles, but this made it clear I need to increase my work capacity, thinking of trying some grease the groove thickbar, it's so far behind my other lifts I am confident I'll see results, and hopefully not get so worn out in future contests.

Last thing, we did a bit of bending. I did a 1/4×6 g8 in BBW wraps, nothing fancy. Reverse 1/4×7 drill rod some movement but didn't complete it, seems on the hard side for what it was.

Good time for sure, as with any competition I learned a lot more than I expected.

Everyone should compete as often as they can! Even on short notice, even if you won't make your weight class, even if you haven't trained the events. 90% of it is just showing up.

Even at 90kg instead of 80kg, and well under my training lifts, I'll be on the armlifting leaderboard for a few things, and I'm pleased with that all things considered.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1