Greatest Grips of All Time

Dbramb

Wanted to start this for you all to brag on each other and for me to learn a little more history as to who you all would classify as the goats overall and in each major discipline. Just a curious student of strength here...

• Like 2

These are just my opinions - 

Best pinch lifter of all-time = Jedd Johnson (this one is a no-brainer)

Best thick bar lifter of all-time = Andrew Durniat (a few guys have lifted more than Andrew on the axle, but they also outweighed him by well over 100 lbs)

Grippers = lots of big gripper closer's on this board, but I believe that if Chez can stay injury free, nobody can equal his gripper strength

Again, this is all just my opinion......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

Grippers = lots of big gripper closer's on this board, but I believe that if Chez can stay injury free, nobody can equal his gripper strength

No disrespect to @Chez he’s a monster no doubt, and who am I to cast an opinion...

but did we not all see Nathan holles recent close?  I admit I’m new so let me know if I’m missing something.  But to me, a 232lb rated gripper close.... and being certified on the 4 with a video of a #4 ccs close....

Edited by hareboll
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

These are just my opinions - 

Best pinch lifter of all-time = Jedd Johnson (this one is a no-brainer)

Best thick bar lifter of all-time = Andrew Durniat (a few guys have lifted more than Andrew on the axle, but they also outweighed him by well over 100 lbs)

Again, this is all just my opinion......

Thank you for the mention. I am back and I am more committed than ever. lost way too much time to injury or I would be further along. I plan on staying away from dangerous events this time and really going for it this year. I am almost peak strength again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hareboll said:

No disrespect to @Chez he’s a monster no doubt, and who am I to cast an opinion...

no worries. Nathan is an inspiration to me. I am just happy to be back from hand surgery. luckily I have come back stronger from injury every time. I will try to earn the mention in the coming years. I may never be even close to Nathan but I feel that I am entering my prime strength years. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hareboll said:

but did we not all see Nathan holles recent close?  I admit I’m new so let me know if I’m missing something.  But to me, a 232lb rated gripper close.... and being certified on the 4 with a video of a #4 ccs close....

Again, these statements are just my opinion.  No disrespect was meant to anybody.

Nathan Holle has always been kind of a mystery to me.  I know a few videos exist of him closing big grippers, but I guess his name doesn't really pop into my mind when thinking about the top gripsters, mainly because I rarely ever hear much about him.

• Like 1

I’d like to see a pinch grip battle between Jedd, Wade Gillingham and Scott Clayton at their peak. 

I don’t know who’s the best at thickbar but I’d never bet against Laine Snook. 

• Like 2

Like we were talking about on Sunday, Andrew Durniat is a true freak in grip and possibly more so outside of grip

• Like 4

As a Durniat fan, I’d say he was more like the pound for pound thickbar champ before Tanner showed up. With Adam and Eric R being a close 2nd. As far as thickbar strongest heavies, there’s quite a few rightful mentions. Mobster, Burke, Henry, Shaw, Williams, Laine, Brixia (spl?), Alexey, And can’t forget Felix.

then there is pound for pound pinchers. Kody, Adam, David. With the heavyweights being Jedd, Wade, Chad, etc.

grippers could go long imo. Without even mentioning BW. Pretty much everyone who’s closed a #4. Which is close to 30+ I think by now.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Tommy Mouth of the south Jennings

Thanks for the mention in the thickbar category. Tommy key pinch Jennings is multi talented. Is he a better key pincher or bender 🧐 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Thanks for the mention in the thickbar category. Tommy key pinch Jennings is multi talented. Is he a better key pincher or bender 🧐 

Bender 

2 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Bender 

You’re a bad troll. This was an easy bounce pass for you haha

• Like 1

Also can’t have a GOAT thread and not mention Gil. he’s another formidable gripster all round. Now that Tanner and Adam are heavier, I’d say the 90k class is Gil’s to lose. With him also having the ability to push many of us heavier competitors around.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I wasn’t even trying to troll though.

But. If you wanna go down that road of derailing and locking another perfectly wholesome thread down. Im more than happy to oblige. 

Your choice tex. 

Paha okay here is the thing, I can troll Tommy all I want, we are friends. That’s what I was doing here, trolling, joking, poking fun. Somehow that escaped you, whoops. You thought I was being accusatory. Try not to be so serious Shawn. I like it better when you have a sense of humor. 

here I’ll give you a mulligan *bounce pass*

• Haha 2

On 3/9/2020 at 5:01 PM, Dbramb said:

Wanted to start this for you all to brag on each other and for me to learn a little more history as to who you all would classify as the goats overall and in each major discipline. Just a curious student of strength here...

Crush: Nathan

Wide Pinch: Shaw, Chad, Wade

Narrow: Kody Burns

Thickbar: Laine (6cm), Rich Williams (5cm)

Pound for Pound freaks: Tanner Merkle and Yves from Canada. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

As a Durniat fan, I’d say he was more like the pound for pound thickbar champ before Tanner showed up. With Adam and Eric R being a close 2nd. As far as thickbar strongest heavies, there’s quite a few rightful mentions. Mobster, Burke, Henry, Shaw, Williams, Laine, Brixia (spl?), Alexey, And can’t forget Felix.

then there is pound for pound pinchers. Kody, Adam, David. With the heavyweights being Jedd, Wade, Chad, etc.

grippers could go long imo. Without even mentioning BW. Pretty much everyone who’s closed a #4. Which is close to 30+ I think by now.

I was definitely thinking that Adam G and Eric R would both be a close second to Andrew D in the pound for pound thick bar category, but then I watched that video from the other day of Tanner pulling 440 on the axle.  He lifted that with such ease, that I have to think he will more than likely surpass everybody on the axle other than maybe a few of the super-heavyweights.  That was definitely one of the most impressive feats of grip strength I have ever seen.....especially from a guy who I'm guessing weighs less than 220.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Grippers: David Shamey

Thickbar: Laine Snook

Pinch: Brian Shaw

Wrist: Adam Glass

My list is almost like yours

Crush: David Shamey CoC #4, Morgan Chaoi MMG 8. Perhaps Nathan Holle?

Thickbar: Laine Snook one Handed; Mike Burke two handed for the reason Laine has back problems.

Pinch: we have few. For two hand pinch I'll go with Kody as he hold the Euro two hand pinch WR. He also have the one hand pinch Euro WR. Has the longest 2 25 KG eleiko plate pinch. Narrow and normal pinch goes to Kody. For wide pinch: Brian Shaw for his easy two old school 45's york and easy 150 pounds york blob. Wade for the 45's york farmer walk (which wasn't shown on the video the plates numbers, jsut being fair). Jedd and Wade both double lifted the 45's too and showed it on video. Laine easily did my 30KG blob which Lucas Raymond said its harder than a blobzilla. But we never know unless and until he attempt a 150 pounds york blob. I believe he can do damage to it. It is also fair to mention Lucas and the Finnihs Kamu one finger blob lift.

Wrist: There are few ways. For a cupping grip I'll go with Lucas friend the Arm wrestler who walked to Inch thumbless easily. Adam Glass for Plate curls? Haven't seen anyone better. Sledge hammers I'll go with Joseph Sullivan who is literally the best ever (even better than Slim the hammer man). Shame Joe left the grip world because he was trolled. A very strong gentleman. 

Edit: Best grip overall will surely goes to Laine Snook. I have seen the best and Laine was the best of them.

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 3

On 3/11/2020 at 6:19 PM, Alawadhi said:

My list is almost like yours

Crush: David Shamey CoC #4, Morgan Chaoi MMG 8. Perhaps Nathan Holle?

Thickbar: Laine Snook one Handed; Mike Burke two handed for the reason Laine has back problems.

Pinch: we have few. For two hand pinch I'll go with Kody as he hold the Euro two hand pinch WR. He also have the one hand pinch Euro WR. Has the longest 2 25 KG eleiko plate pinch. Narrow and normal pinch goes to Kody. For wide pinch: Brian Shaw for his easy two old school 45's york and easy 150 pounds york blob. Wade for the 45's york farmer walk (which wasn't shown on the video the plates numbers, jsut being fair). Jedd and Wade both double lifted the 45's too and showed it on video. Laine easily did my 30KG blob which Lucas Raymond said its harder than a blobzilla. But we never know unless and until he attempt a 150 pounds york blob. I believe he can do damage to it. It is also fair to mention Lucas and the Finnihs Kamu one finger blob lift.

Wrist: There are few ways. For a cupping grip I'll go with Lucas friend the Arm wrestler who walked to Inch thumbless easily. Adam Glass for Plate curls? Haven't seen anyone better. Sledge hammers I'll go with Joseph Sullivan who is literally the best ever (even better than Slim the hammer man). Shame Joe left the grip world because he was trolled. A very strong gentleman. 

Edit: Best grip overall will surely goes to Laine Snook. I have seen the best and Laine was the best of them.

As far as I remeber this topic was raised some time ago and it's pretty debatable with the endless list of feats being done, but in order to rate gripsters they should be put in the same conditions while perfroming grip tests (set up, implement, chalk, gear, temperature and humidity mode should be encountered ), which seem to me unrealistic. Ok, let me express my puny opinion based on distinct criteria and observations:

1. Strongman grip: Mark Felix, Mike Burke, Jerry Pritchett, Brad Gillingham  
2. Crush: Nathan Holle, Carl Myerscough, David, Artem Ushenko, Igor Kupinsky  
3. Thickbar: 1 hand: Laine Snook (2.5" Crusher WR), but way more impressive repping MDB, MDB Trainer, Inch db, very technically sound Inch db Clean, Outstanding attempt MDB Trainer Clean, accompanying with allround development in terms of absolute grip strength and functional grip combined, 2 hands: Mike Burke - the man was born with freakish grip even Brian admiited that in his podcast with Terry Hollands, Rich Williams - admitted by Mr. Richard Sorin and Dr. Terry Todd (2" AA DL = 560 lbs, 3" AA DL about 400 lbs if my memory serves ) 
4. Pinch: Euro  set up and Flask Kody, Carl, Horne, Jedd. 

Edited by Stanislav

On 3/13/2020 at 12:01 PM, Stanislav said:

As far as I remeber this topic was raised some time ago and it's pretty debatable with the endless list of feats being done, but in order to rate gripsters they should be put in the same conditions while perfroming grip tests (set up, implement, chalk, gear, temperature and humidity mode should be encountered ), which seem to me unrealistic. Ok, let me express my puny opinion based on distinct criteria and observations:

1. Strongman grip: Mark Felix, Mike Burke, Jerry Pritchett, Brad Gillingham  
2. Crush: Nathan Holle, Carl Myerscough, David, Artem Ushenko, Igor Kupinsky  
3. Thickbar: 1 hand: Laine Snook (2.5" Crusher WR), but way more impressive repping MDB, MDB Trainer, Inch db, very technically sound Inch db Clean, Outstanding attempt MDB Trainer Clean, accompanying with allround development in terms of absolute grip strength and functional grip combined, 2 hands: Mike Burke - the man was born with freakish grip even Brian admiited that in his podcast with Terry Hollands, Rich Williams - admitted by Mr. Richard Sorin and Dr. Terry Todd (2" AA DL = 560 lbs, 3" AA DL about 400 lbs if my memory serves ) 
4. Pinch: Euro  set up and Flask Kody, Carl, Horne, Jedd. 

Yes its debatable. And it should be in the same condition. But can you mention why you chose the name of your list? You said Jerry Pritchett for strongman grip. What does that mean? And what did he do which others could not?

5 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Yes its debatable. And it should be in the same condition. But can you mention why you chose the name of your list? You said Jerry Pritchett for strongman grip. What does that mean? And what did he do which others could not?

Strongman grip - the aspect which is needed to succeed in AA overhead, FW, Loading race, Truck pull, sled pull, Tyre Flip etc. He did in 2018 Appolon's wheel clean 400 pounds DOH, Frame carry with 900 lbs implement, having puny grip performing such feats seems to me impossible.

Edited by Stanislav
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm still pretty new to grip, but as far as grippers go, the people who have inspired me the most are:

Nathan Holle
Paul Knight
David Shamey
Ivan Cuk
Sl-ghi Choi
Heath Sexton
Tommy Heslep

I definitely have to throw Ivan Cuk in here as one of the best crush gripsters of all time, closing in the 200 RGC range with a wide set