Strongest key pincher in the world

Tommy J.

Mammoth coin. 70lbs.

more footage:

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

LOL, Not too shabby Tommy. However, this was way back in 2017 when I was first starting out:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

LOL, Not too shabby Tommy. However, this was way back in 2017 when I was first starting out:)

Also not too shabby. However, this was my first time touching the implement. 😬 ever.

40 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Was also done post comp

Wow, I don't what is more impressive- you doing a coin lift that nobody has seen in over 2 1/2 years or you claiming to have done something significant in grip since 2013.

17 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Wow, I don't what is more impressive- you doing a coin lift that nobody has seen in over 2 1/2 years or you claiming to have done something significant in grip since 2013. 

Uplift and lift heavy. 

Title aside (which I assume was hyperbole), Tommy is only claiming what's in the video. 70+ is a crazy coin lift. You are both really strong. 

15 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Uplift and lift heavy. 

Title aside (which I assume was hyperbole), Tommy is only claiming what's in the video. 70+ is a crazy coin lift. You are both really strong. 

Thanks Matt.

to the bold- 100% accurate. Lol

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Was also done post comp

Very true. We just did RT, axle, Saxon bar and Silver bullet. You have at least another 5 pounds in you.

• Thanks 1

I'm not trying to hijack (necessarily) but speaking of key pinch, a pet lift of mine is key pinch style on a 45 plate hub lift. Like, basically a wide key pinch. 

I'm assuming you guys can do that?  It stops a lot of people who can hub a 45 otherwise (at CPW booths).

How about added weight?  I think I'm good for 50 lbs in this style. 

Consider yourself challenged!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I'm not trying to hijack (necessarily) but speaking of key pinch, a pet lift of mine is key pinch style on a 45 plate hub lift. Like, basically a wide key pinch. 

I'm assuming you guys can do that?  It stops a lot of people who can hub a 45 otherwise (at CPW booths).

How about added weight?  I think I'm good for 50 lbs in this style. 

Consider yourself challenged!

While I can appreciate the banter/challenge, and I also dig that smaller guys can be great at this type lift, I just can’t bring myself to respect this discipline as a form of identifying who has elite grip. It’s likely you won’t see me pursue it. Albeit decent at it. To me, if a guy who literally does nothing for grip can just do 70lbs on this lift, post contest, first try, then how much should anyone respect it? Imo, key pinch basically only represents that the side of your index fingers are tough.

I’ll elaborate, the only fingers used on this are the index and thumb. If this was some sort of elite display of thumb strength, then anyone who is great at it should also display a killer 1hp. But that’s not been the case thus far with any of us who can key pinch.

so imo, it represents nothing as far as grip strength. except that your good at key pinch. Should be looked at no different than how grippers are looked at by the muster. With regards to how many claim it translates to nothing else in grip.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be elite, just having fun. I agree it's a super niche lift within a niche sport. I've just naturally been good at them and therefore, of course, think they are fun 😂

You should try the hub lift just for fun. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be elite, just having fun. I agree it's a super niche lift within a niche sport. I've just naturally been good at them and therefore, of course, think they are fun 😂

You should try the hub lift just for fun. 

I would say a guy your size doing it definitely commands respect. Us fatties on the other hand?.. or anyone in a heavy or light heavy class? not so much. Lol

i will give the plate a go tho next time I’m at practice. It does sound fun to try!

out of likes for the day.. I’d have given that a like if I had it.

It is what it is, you can focus on it, or not. There's definitely some respect due for people who focus on the small stuff like this. If you can walk up do it, that's great also.

Grip is a good equilizer because you don't have to be big to be strong.

Makes for good conversation at least :)

24 minutes ago, wobbler said:

It is what it is, you can focus on it, or not. There's definitely some respect due for people who focus on the small stuff like this. If you can walk up do it, that's great also.

Grip is a good equilizer because you don't have to be big to be strong.

Makes for good conversation at least :)

I feel that respect is due for big gripper closes also. But unfortunately these days, grippers get mad hate, regardless of the level closed it seems? All I’m saying is that key pinch should be seen in the same light if those same folks are to claim any kind of consistent outlook.

what I’m loving here is that I can’t be called a key pinch hater. Since I demonstrate I do well at it, no one can discount my sentiments as jealousy. After now proving I’m not trying to scoff at an event I’m not good at, I can say with 100% honesty that key pinch is a bs event.

and I know I’m playing devils advocate right now, because I said above I likely won’t pursue it. but I may decide to take aim at every single key pinch record, THEN advocate that it has no place in any contest. Oh that would be so grand should I decide to follow through. 😆 And at this point I’m betting I won’t be challenged to do so. Not unless any key pinch record holder wants to see their name get bumped.

this could go one of two ways since I demonstrate above the that the threat is real. And it depends solely on how much disrespect certain folks want to keep throwing at Tx. Either stop with the disrespect, or watch all your records get robbed by Tx.

cant no one say I didn’t make a fair offer. Your ball, Micheal.

6 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

While I can appreciate the banter/challenge, and I also dig that smaller guys can be great at this type lift, I just can’t bring myself to respect this discipline as a form of identifying who has elite grip. It’s likely you won’t see me pursue it. Albeit decent at it. To me, if a guy who literally does nothing for grip can just do 70lbs on this lift, post contest, first try, then how much should anyone respect it? Imo, key pinch basically only represents that the side of your index fingers are tough.

I’ll elaborate, the only fingers used on this are the index and thumb. If this was some sort of elite display of thumb strength, then anyone who is great at it should also display a killer 1hp. But that’s not been the case thus far with any of us who can key pinch.

so imo, it represents nothing as far as grip strength. except that your good at key pinch. Should be looked at no different than how grippers are looked at by the muster. With regards to how many claim it translates to nothing else in grip.

Nothing really translates to much else in grip imo. If you have a huge pinch, you don't automatically have a huge thickbar and vice versa. If you have crazy support grip you can't necessarily close big grippers etc etc. Vertical bar is also odd. You would think it would translate to thickbar, but it doesn't. At the and of the day it is all grip and you can choose to contest it or not. Key pinch loads the thumb under a very different angle than regular pinch and that makes it kind of interesting. This will cater to some peoples hand anatomy and others will be less good at it. Seeing Adam couldn't lift what you did on the key pinch proves this point (he's a very strong pincher as you know).

Anyway. Very strong lift imo.💪 You should try the halfpenny (you can't tilt that).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Royz said:

Nothing really translates to much else in grip imo. If you have a huge pinch, you don't automatically have a huge thickbar and vice versa. If you have crazy support grip you can't necessarily close big grippers etc etc. Vertical bar is also odd. You would think it would translate to thickbar, but it doesn't. At the and of the day it is all grip and you can choose to contest it or not. Key pinch loads the thumb under a very different angle than regular pinch and that makes it kind of interesting. This will cater to some peoples hand anatomy and others will be less good at it. Seeing Adam couldn't lift what you did on the key pinch proves this point (he's a very strong pincher as you know).

Anyway. Very strong lift imo.💪 You should try the halfpenny (you can't tilt that).

I don’t tilt any more than gerome does.

2 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I don’t tilt any more than gerome does.

I didn't say you did. I just meant that the halfpenny is much harder because you can't tilt it.💪 Maybe you can beat Jeromes world record with a bit of practice?

8 minutes ago, Royz said:

I didn't say you did. I just meant that the halfpenny is much harder because you can't tilt it.💪 Maybe you can beat Jeromes world record with a bit of practice?

Ah okay, apologies! In all honesty I have no beef with gerome. And unfortunately in the event I start smashing the key pinch records, it will look as though I’m picking on Gerome. When all I care to do is pick on Micheal in response to some PMs he sent waiving his key pinch in my face.

that said, I just spoke with Bill. He has a point that call outs that don’t happen on the board publicly don’t need to be hashed out here publicly. So my apologies for taking it public.

7 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Ah okay, apologies! In all honesty I have no beef with gerome. And unfortunately in the event I start smashing the key pinch records, it will look as though I’m picking on Gerome. When all I care to do is pick on Micheal in response to some PMs he sent waiving his key pinch in my face.

that said, I just spoke with Bill. He has a point that call outs that don’t happen on the board publicly don’t need to be hashed out here publicly. So my apologies for taking it public.

Everyone note the bold. This applies everywhere off the forum in whatever medium or social media.

Tommy, you think a lift(you did tilt the eff out of it) Mammoth coin means you have some great skill at KP? The only record I care about for the foreseeable about is 2 hands shallow hub key pinch- Good luck trying this. I will even bet you $100 that your best lift at 2 hands shallow hub I will do minimum of 5 reps with. So give that a try shallow hub KP at your next practice-Even try it on IM hub for kinda like training wheels for ya.  I told you KP is lowest on grip totem but I don't care as I enjoy it and Iam good at it. Grippers are held much higher regard than KP in my book. Let me know when you can get this weight(below vid) off the ground... 

8 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Tommy, you think a lift(you did tilt the eff out of it) Mammoth coin means you have some great skill at KP? The only record I care about for the foreseeable about is 2 hands shallow hub key pinch- Good luck trying this. I will even bet you $100 that your best lift at 2 hands shallow hub I will do minimum of 5 reps with. So give that a try shallow hub KP at your next practice-Even try it on IM hub for kinda like training wheels for ya.  I told you KP is lowest on grip totem but I don't care as I enjoy it and Iam good at it. Grippers are held much higher regard than KP in my book. Let me know when you can get this weight(below vid) off the ground... 

Okay then. Don’t say I didn’t give you an out. What are you’re best key pinch lifts in comp, and records, if any? Please list them. All of them. If I can’t match or surpass them now, I will make it my prerogative to annihilate them, all of them, over the course of months to come. And they will be added in our comps here in Tx to make them official.

• Haha 1