Larry Wheels sets RAW WR Total with 2370 lbs in 308 Class

HandsofStone

Seems weird to be allowed to set a 0.1lb record, even with calibrated plates you still have a margin larger than that so we don't even know who actually lifted more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Seems weird to be allowed to set a 0.1lb record, even with calibrated plates you still have a margin larger than that so we don't even know who actually lifted more. 

First thing I thought as well. There is still a little margin of error on calibrated plates and considering the huge total that can easily add up to more than .1 lbs. 

• Like 1

Time to head to IG to see the saltiness from Eric, lol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chez said:

First thing I thought as well. There is still a little margin of error on calibrated plates and considering the huge total that can easily add up to more than .1 lbs. 

So for fun, even using brand new perfect eleiko plates a 2370 total would give an error range of plus or minus 1.16lbs. Not even counting the bar which always has a worse calibration than the plates. 

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

So for fun, even using brand new perfect eleiko plates a 2370 total would give an error range of plus or minus 1.16lbs. Not even counting the bar which always has a worse calibration than the plates. 

Ya. They should have a minimum needed to break a record like 1 kilo or something 

Is it because the record is total and not any one of the individual lifts?

I only know USAPL rules, but for example the minimum increment for a regular lift is 2.5 kilos. 

UNLESS you're going for an American Record, then you can "chip" the record with a 1.25 kilo plate which cannot otherwise be used. And this is only allowed with a calibrated set. 

Further, even if you're using the 1.25 kilo plate, the record must be broken by at least 0.5 kilo (1.1 pounds) or you don't get credited.

I'm having a hard time telling from the rule book if the 0.5 kilo rule applies to total. In most places it says "attempts" which suggests the individual lifts. But it does say you cannot use the 1.25 kilo chip to break the total record only. Only individual lifts. 

So there could be a case where after the minimum lift rules are applied on a per lift basis, the total just is what it is.  And also you could have the total record without setting any individual lift records. The rule book does say if two lifters tie on the record total, the lighter lifter gets the record.  

The only reason I'm thinking the 0.5 kilo rule doesn't apply to total in this case is because he seems to have been credited with the record. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 9:10 AM, Cannon said:

Is it because the record is total and not any one of the individual lifts?

I only know USAPL rules, but for example the minimum increment for a regular lift is 2.5 kilos. 

UNLESS you're going for an American Record, then you can "chip" the record with a 1.25 kilo plate which cannot otherwise be used. And this is only allowed with a calibrated set. 

Further, even if you're using the 1.25 kilo plate, the record must be broken by at least 0.5 kilo (1.1 pounds) or you don't get credited.

I'm having a hard time telling from the rule book if the 0.5 kilo rule applies to total. In most places it says "attempts" which suggests the individual lifts. But it does say you cannot use the 1.25 kilo chip to break the total record only. Only individual lifts. 

So there could be a case where after the minimum lift rules are applied on a per lift basis, the total just is what it is.  And also you could have the total record without setting any individual lift records. The rule book does say if two lifters tie on the record total, the lighter lifter gets the record.  

The only reason I'm thinking the 0.5 kilo rule doesn't apply to total in this case is because he seems to have been credited with the record. 

This may be the factor. While I’ve showed disdain for BW calculations, I do think using BW as a tie breaker is legit. Also love to point out BW when a lighter competitor straight up out lifts a heavier one.

also, is Eric retired? Haven’t seen anything out of him in a while. If so, him coming back and going head to head with wheels would be pretty cool!

i dig them both. So it would be super exciting imo.

There's a link in that article taking you to Larry talking about his cycle for the contest.  Is that ok?  Can we post links to steroid discussion, but just not actually discuss? 

By the way, incredible performance.  I too would love to see Eric come back and go at this.