devinhoo

Climbing the Mash Monster Ladder

devinhoo
Posted (edited)

Quarantine week 5! Finished second year of medical school! 🎉
Did a couple extra workouts of just arms because I needed a study break leading up to my last test Friday morning. I think I'm just going to do curls with the empty bar going forward when I need a break from studying for boards.
Got the numbers back on the Tetting grippers I sent to Cannon: 128 SM, 145 GM, 173 Elite, 188 Elite, 194 SE.

Sunday (study break)
Bicep curls
77x5x5
27x15x5

Pendlay Rows
137x5x5

Reverse curls
27x15x3

Tuesday
2 3/8" axle deadlift
247x5
187x8x6
Grip just wasn’t there today. Tried three more reps to get to eight at 247 but couldn’t lock it out. Switched between sumo and conventional and back to sumo two sets each. 

Gripper TNS
78x1x6
Left hand was pretty trashed after thickbar. Took me a few tries to get those last two closes.

Thursday
Floor press
137x10x5

Gripper MMS
142x1x6 right hand
142x1x3 left hand
127x1x6
Left hand PR! I had never closed that 142 gripper with my left hand before, and I got it for 3 separate singles. Couldn’t get a good set fouth rep lefty despite three tries, but I think I was just out of juice on reps 5 & 6.

Friday
Bicep curls
27x15x8 (lbs x reps x sets)
back of my left forearm was really unhappy after each set, hurt along my extensor carpi ulnaris muscle.

Saturday
Zercher squat
187x5x5
Felt much better wearing my 'stone sleeves' from the first set. Even threw on my knee sleeves for fun.

Gripper CCS
108x6x1 (sets x reps)
92x6x1
Decided to brush off the handles of my grippers. I was cleaning them after each workout at the gym, but I stopped cleaning them when I started working out at home because it makes a mess. Cleaned about 1/3 of them after this workout, probably clean the next 1/3 of the grippers after my next workout etc.

Had some weird numbness in my a few of my fingers after working out. Tip of my left thumb has been numb for a few days after thick bar deadlifts on Tuesday, which has happened once before after I was going really hard on the hub for a few weeks back in September. I think I was compressing a superficial nerve the way that I was twisting my thumb in to get more friction on the hub. Haven't trained hub since, but I think I was turning my left thumb in a bit on the axle to turn it into more of a pinch on a few of the lifts where it was slipping out of my grasp. Somewhat more irritating is the tip of my right middle finger on my thumb side, as I can't figure out how I would have compressed a superficial nerve. It started after my Thursday workout where I did floor press and gripper MMS, but neither of those exercises really put much pressure on the side of my middle finger where that nerve runs. The area that is numb has gotten a little smaller each day, but it's definitely still there. Makes me want to take a week off anything grip related until it stops.

Edited by devinhoo

devinhoo
Posted (edited)

Quarantine week 6
Numbness in my right middle finger was getting a little better with some rest, but then it got worse again after my gripper workout on Wednesday. I’m really frustrated because I feel like progressing with grippers was like the one thing keeping me afloat right now. Never had this happen before from working with grippers, but it looks like it’s time to give them a break. Really disappointing because I feel like I’m finally starting to make progress with my left hand by consistently closing my 142 gripper.

Time to take a break and give my hands a rest.

Monday
Axle deadlift with straps
297x5x5 
This was all the plates I have right now. Felt really good to go moderately heavy, not worry about my grip, and just lift. Had to go thumbless when using my figure 8 straps, and my Eleiko straps barely go around the bar all the way.

Wednesday
Z-press
77x10x5 (lbs x reps x sets)

Gripper MMS
142x1x6 right
142x1x2 left (missed attempts 2, 3, and 6)
Two attempts with my 154 CoC3, but it didn’t feel like a good set. Got maybe 1/2 cm away. Super frustrated, because I felt like I was about as close with my unrated HG350 two weeks ago.
Trying to focus on overcrush, even on left handed misses. 

Ab Wheel
5x5
Using a 55 lb bumper on a loading pin

Friday
Zercher squats
187x5x5
Started each one of these off with a zercher deadlift to get the bar into a "racked" position. It was tougher, but I think I liked it more than deadlifting it, lapping the bar, and then zerching it up.

4" block pinch
60x2
60x1
60x1
Based on my past lifts I thought I was going to get 8+ reps. Honestly couldn't even get the second double left handed. My pinch blocks are from AASS so I flipped it over to do 3" pinch.

3" block pinch
60x6
Tore a huge flapper left thumb on the first rep of my second set. Not sure what I did to incur the wrath of the grip gods, but damn. Time to take a break from any/all grip work while my hands heal up. 

IMG_4615.thumb.jpg.4dc4406d3783bee46ed5a48e2889d3a2.jpg

Edited by devinhoo

devinhoo
Posted (edited)

Was talking with @Tom Flesher yesterday about how to get started with steel bending, and he ended up writing a really in depth beginners guide to bending which clarified some terms that I didn't understand and demystified a lot of it.

Not something I'm going to start while injured, but definitely something to keep in mind for the future.
Going to need to be careful next time I go to the hardware store. Although I could use a sledge for some rehab work...

https://www.reddit.com/r/GripTraining/comments/g7fmt6/im_at_the_hardware_store_what_can_i_bend_a_guide/

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 2

devinhoo
Posted (edited)

Quarantine week 7
Took the week off grip work to give my hands a break, no axle, no pinch, no grippers. However, after talking with @Tom Flesher more I went to the hardware store and got some nails, and cut up some old jeans into wraps. Watched a bunch of videos on how to bend, figured out my wraps, and bent my first nail! Timber tie went down easy, so I went for one of the 60d nails I bought and that went as well. Really exciting feeling. Went out a few days later and bought more 60d nails, so now I have about 50 of them to bend. 

Monday
Squat (axle)
137x5
Attempted to use a piece of furniture as a squat rack. It did not go very well, but it felt nice to have a bar on my back for the first time in over a month. Wasn't feeling great so I just called the workout after that. Tuesday I warmed up for deadlifts but then called it quits and went and bought nails instead.

Wednesday
Steel bending overhand
Timber tie x1 
60d nail x1
20d nail x1
2x timber tie fail
All bends done in three layers of denim with bands, which ends up being 1 1/4” diameter. After doing some digging, IMP in thirds is apparently about 1”, so need to switch to two layers of denim.
Did a bunch of digging trying to figure out the ratings of these nails. Looks like a 6" timber tie is about 210, a 60d Grip Rite nail is 320. Checked it the same way that @ClayEdgin did a while back on his instagram, so I confirmed that these nails are in the same ballpark. According to the AZ Grip website a red nail is something like 420 so I have a ways to go. Hopefully things will be a little clearer when I burn through the 50 or so 60d nails that I have.

Steel bending underhand
Timber tie x1

Steel bending reverse 
Timber tie x1

297x5x5 
I was pretty tired after messing around bending steel for an hour and a half.

Friday
Zercher squats w/ zercher deadlift to rack position
187x5x5
Not exactly an eventful workout, but I needed to lift something after watching Thor deadlift 501 kg.

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 3

devinhoo
Posted (edited)

Monday
297x5x5 

Overhand steel bending
timber tie x1
60d nails x5
All bends done in two layers of denim (12"x8" folded in half) with bands. Got a video of the first 60d nail.

Wednesday
Z-press
77x10x5 (lbs x reps x sets)

Inch Wrench
60x8x5
First time doing any real grip work in two weeks. 
Right middle finger numbness still there, and my right 3rd MCP joint still kind of hurts. Trying to take it easy on my hands, but missing working with grippers.

Friday
Zercher squats w/ zercher deadlift to rack position
187x5x5

Steel bending overhand
timber tie x1
60d nails x6
All bends done in two layers of denim with bands. HOWEVER I bought some battlefield wraps and leathers from @Andrew P as well as the FBBC advanced benders bag. Looking forward to getting some real wraps and bending some more difficult steel. For now I'm just adding a 60d nail a week to make sure I don't overtax myself bending but still get some practice in. This was only my third bending session ever and I don't want to get hurt because I haven't figured out the technique.

Barbell Shrugs
187x10x5

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 1

devinhoo
Posted (edited)

Tuesday
Zercher squat
247x2 (pr)

297x1

Floor press
187x2 (pr)
Low volume day for the Garage Gym Competition in hopes that I can win some prizes (here's looking at you squat rack).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAGsTLfARXg/

Saturday
Steel bending overhand
timber tie x1
60d nail x1
9/32 x 7" CRS x1 (330)
9/32 x 6" CRS x1 (380)
5/16 x 7" CRS x1 (Bastard 450)
60d nail x6
1/4 x 6" Grade 5 bolt (380)
Got my Advanced bending bag from FBBC! Couldn't resist trying some things. The leather pads are amazing, way better than the denim I was using. Everything I bent today was in leather with rubber bands except for one 60d nail that I bent in benders battlefield wraps just to see how it feels.
Turns out the crush is what I really struggle with. Took me a minute to get use to bending 7" versus 6", but the kink and sweep felt pretty good after that. Even bent my first Bastard bar, although I definitely cheated the crush by bracing my elbow against my leg for a bit. After the 60d nails, which are basically a warm up/drop set now, I tried a grade 5 bolt which I honestly couldn't get down to 2". Got close, but not quite.
Edit: I keep forgetting how to measure bends; I did complete the bend of the g5 bolt after all. Have to remember to measure the inside width not the outside. Had the same problem with the Bastard too and had to re-post it to instagram. Only my 5th time bending so I'm still learning the rules. 😅

Zercher squat
187x8x3 (lb x reps x sets)

Edited by devinhoo
I keep forgetting how to measure bends​​​​​​​; I did complete the bend of the g5 bolt after all. Have to remember to measure the inside width not the outside.
  • Like 1

devinhoo
Posted (edited)

Tuesday
297x8x3 (lb x reps x sets) 

Overhand steel bending
timber tie x1
60d nail x1
9/32 x 7" CRS (330)
60d nails x3
Barely finished the 9/32 x 7" CRS. I really struggled with the crush on that one for some reason. Also managed to punch myself in the face on the sweep.
My plan was to do my main bends in leather, then bend some 60d nails in BBW's without bands to simulate the IM red nail cert conditions. However I really struggled wrapping the nails in cordura and keeping them tight without bands. Each of the three 60d nails I bent in BBW's took me about the same amount of time as bending six 60d nails in leather.
New plan for bending: use @Chez's approach to grippers and just get so stupid strong at MMS (leather and bands) that a wider set (cordura and no bands) doesn’t slow me down on an easier gripper (nail).

Friday
Zercher squat
187x8x3 (lb x reps x sets)

Steel bending overhand
timber tie x1
60d nail x1
1/4 x 7" square CRS x2 (The Square 390)
60d nails x6
20d nails x2
60d nail x1 (*in BBW with bands)
All bends in leather wraps with bands*. First attempt with the square me a long time because it was way off center so I did another one to see if I could get it down under a minute. Still off center, but it went quicker.
I also checked the bars I bent today against the bastard I bent last week and it looks like they’re all off center by almost exactly the same amount, even though the ones today have the three sharpie marks on them to keep track of center and for wraps like @Squeezus suggested. I think that means the issue is with my bending technique rather than my wrapping technique.

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 2

devinhoo

Behind on posting. I had my medial school COMLEX level 1 boards exam on Friday and then spent the entire weekend moving. My forearms were pretty sore yesterday from carrying things, but after climbing two flights of stairs a zillion times my calves are so tight I can barely walk.

I probably won't have access to a gym or weights for a while, so it's back to bodyweight exercises. 😪

Monday
Floor press
137x10x5 (lb x reps x sets)

Steel bending overhand
Warm up with a timber tie then a 60d nail
1/4 x 6" grade 5 bolt in leather with bands (380)
9/32 x 7" CRS in BBW without bands (330)
60d nail x 3  in leather with bands
20d nail x 3 in leather with bands
Since the workout log on my phone only inputs numbers, I've been using 210 lbs for the timber ties, 320 lbs for the 60d nails, and 160 lbs for the 20d nails based on what I could find on the gripboard, recommendations from Tom Flesher, and bending a nail with a loading pin and some weight. I know the 60d's vary a lot by brand etc, but does anyone have better numbers for those? There isn't as much data on the shorter/easier nails from what I've found. 

Gripper chest crush
133x5x5
Took me a few tries to figure out how to put some padding on the handles so that they still touched. Bruised my palms a little, but I need to work on my crush.

Wednesday
Zercher squat
137x8x3

Steinborn squat
187 fail
137x1 (on the third try)
Last workout with the borrowed plates before I had to return them, figured I would do something silly with them before I gave them back.

Thursday
Steel bending overhand
Warm up with a timber tie then a 60d nail
5/16 x 6" grade 2 bolt (400)
9/32 x 5.5" CRS  (420)
60d nail x 3
20d nail x 3
All bends in FBBC leather with bands. Grade 2 bolt went down super easy, the 5.5" bar freaking sucked though. Kink and sweep were easy for me as always, but the crush probably took me 15-20 minutes to go from ~2.25" to 1.75". I had to keep taking the padding off to check if it was done, re-chalk my hands, and try a different technique. Finishing off this bar felt about as difficult as finishing the Bastard I did a few weeks ago. I was over the time limit for a cert, but this was a PR for sure. Need to try to bend another Bastard in a few weeks and see if I can get it down to under five minutes for the FBBC cert, although under one minute would be pretty cool as an indicator for the IronMind cert (and instagram).

Edited by devinhoo