770 lb Raw Bench Press - New Record Again

Chez

Humans simply can't react fast enough to spot a heavy weight, especially when you try to coordinate 4 or 5 guys. Way too risky. 

• Like 1

The best way is the mono lift with straps to catch the weight. I have seen some comps where they do this and it’s great. Look what happened to Brandon Lilly and that was his opener. It was squat stands and he had to walk it out. The monolift with straps would have saved him  

Edited by Chez

On 3/9/2020 at 8:32 AM, Chez said:

For me, it’s raw or nothing. I think equipped lifting looks stupid 

squat and DL don’t look terrible geared. In fact, I think most couldn’t point out the difference on a geared squat or geared DL when compared to seeing it raw. To many, a singlet is a singlet. Obviously anyone could point out knee wraps. But that sort of doesn’t matter. Because there are raw wrapped categories all over the place. So even the knee wraps aren’t necessarily a determining factor when identifying raw or geared. Have to pay attention to the singlet. Or look for compression briefs underneath, etc. Admittedly, the bench is the only one that looks bad geared.

would still like to see more geared benches from the big boys tho. 1,000+ on a bench, gear or not, brings major pucker factor. Even for those watching.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:12 AM, Chez said:

The one thing they really need to revisit is the arch rules. We are rewarding contortionist for 6 inch lifts. No one thought people would be able to bend in half backwards when the rules were made. 

Yep. I’d rather watch geared benches than raw contortionists

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 9:16 AM, king crusher said:

So you mean.....everyone on earth basically? 

Kirils record, people should watch it. Thays a proper pause. Julius is a strong bad ass but imo, it's not a proper pause. It's a rest pause. And it does make it easier.

I agree. Kirill is still the guy to beat imo. I dig Julius. However, if I’m being honest, I genuinely believe Julius can’t bench 738 with the same control as Kirill. Even right now. So it does sort of make me wonder if Kirill is actually the strongest. what if Kirill adopted the same technique as Julius?.. I know that “what if’s” are nerdy.. but seriously, what if?

i think what Julius does on the bench could easily be compared to kings move arm wrestling. And since the kings move is now the new winning technique in arm wrestling, we may never see the raw bench record get broken with a strict form again either. Much like the kings move is here to stay, unfortunately.

i wouldn’t call this hating Julius. I wouldn’t be a fan of Kirill or Spoto or Henderson If they did the same either. I think all of us can agree that when it comes to overall WR lifts, we want to see it done flawlessly. 

So in King Crushers AND Julius’ defense, saying what he’s saying doesn’t make Julius’ bench look any worse. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

Sure look like he beat the command for the press. But, that's just my 2 cents. It was close.  The 770 bench that is.

The arch rules do need to get revisited. I saw this one girl literally with a 1 inch stroke touching....her belly button basically!

I'm telling you all that the answer is the nip touch rule.  Gotta touch the nips.  Of course this would lead to topless benching and men and women powerlifters getting FF implants, but no rule is perfect.  😁

7 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Sure look like he beat the command for the press. But, that's just my 2 cents. It was close.  The 770 bench that is.

He may have, but you can't rely on a youtube video to tell.  The sound and video never sync correctly.  If you watch and listen on Kirill's vid below, it seems like he is WAY ahead of the verbal press command.  I think it is just the inherent low quality of the youtube vids.

Just now, Mike Rinderle said:

He may have, but you can't rely on a youtube video to tell.  The sound and video never sync correctly.  If you watch and listen on Kirill's vid below, it seems like he is WAY ahead of the verbal press command.  I think it is just the inherent low quality of the youtube vids.

Ah, you are right. I forgot about syncing crap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

I agree. Kirill is still the guy to beat imo. I dig Julius. However, if I’m being honest, I genuinely believe Julius can’t bench 738 with the same control as Kirill. Even right now. So it does sort of make me wonder if Kirill is actually the strongest. what if Kirill adopted the same technique as Julius?.. I know that “what if’s” are nerdy.. but seriously, what if?

i think what Julius does on the bench could easily be compared to kings move arm wrestling. And since the kings move is now the new winning technique in arm wrestling, we may never see the raw bench record get broken with a strict form again either. Much like the kings move is here to stay, unfortunately.

i wouldn’t call this hating Julius. I wouldn’t be a fan of Kirill or Spoto or Henderson If they did the same either. I think all of us can agree that when it comes to overall WR lifts, we want to see it done flawlessly. 

So in King Crushers AND Julius’ defense, saying what he’s saying doesn’t make Julius’ bench look any worse. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Not to mention just look at kirill next to julius. No guy would rather have julius' build over kirills. And you're right, very unlikely julius could perform kirills exact lift with the same weight.

The kings move is a total joke

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Ah, you are right. I forgot about syncing crap.

Yea, it's horrible. 

On a different note, I've waited to see if anyone brought it up but no one has.  None of the reasons mentioned so far are why the 770 lift has been getting hate on the innerwebs.  What's been getting the most play is the way the two spotters on Julius' left (our right) seem to be touching the plates and bar. Here are a couple views.  I'll let you decide.  He's going to want a cleaner attemp at the next record I would guess.

BTW, he also set the record for world's largest camel toe. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle

3 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Not to mention just look at kirill next to julius. No guy would rather have julius' build over kirills. And you're right, very unlikely julius could perform kirills exact lift with the same weight.

The kings move is a total joke

If I was going for the world record, I would want the body that allowed me to lift the most weight.  Again, not bodybuilding.  

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Yea, it's horrible. 

On a different note, I've waited to see if anyone brought it up but no one has.  None of the reasons mentioned so far are why the 770 lift has been getting hate on the innerwebs.  What's been getting the most play is the way the two spotters on Julius' left (our right) seem to be touching the plates and bar. Here are a couple views.  I'll let you decide.  He's going to want a cleaner attemp at the next record I would guess.

Ya. I did notice that. And it’s crazy since I remember the spotters hit the weights on his first record lift causing him to miss racking it. He really needs to get better spotters next time 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Ya. I did notice that. And it’s crazy since I remember the spotters hit the weights on his first record lift causing him to miss racking it. He really needs to get better spotters next time 

All the haters are saying that they helped him.  All his fans are saying they didn't.  Just go get 775 clean and everyone will forget about this like they did about that first record lift that got all jacked up.  Agreed on better spotters.  Although at that weight, they're just there to lift it off his body after it crashes down on him, because the're not catching it on the way down.  lol

Someone may break his BP record, but I have to think the Camel Toe record he set will stand forever.  So he's got that going for him.  :D

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

If I was going for the world record, I would want the body that allowed me to lift the most weight.  Again, not bodybuilding.  

No it's not bodybuilding but that's not the point.  I will say it again, no guy would pick Julius' body over Kirills. Show every guy who works out what build they would take, no way J is coming out ahead. And judging by their bench, kirill was stronger. Not that that matters J has the record. 

And I've seen another view of the 770, no one touched the plates. Larry wheels new video has a very clear view of the lift from a slightly different angle.

4 minutes ago, king crusher said:

No it's not bodybuilding but that's not the point.  I will say it again, no guy would pick Julius' body over Kirills. Show every guy who works out what build they would take, no way J is coming out ahead. And judging by their bench, kirill was stronger. Not that that matters J has the record. 

And I've seen another view of the 770, no one touched the plates. Larry wheels new video has a very clear view of the lift from a slightly different angle.

I actually don't think they touched or helped either. 

Your first point is proven wrong by me.  I would absolutely pick Julius' body over Kirill's because it allows him to lift more weight than Kirill's.  I couldn't care less what I look like because I am:  A) not a female, B) not a metrosexual pretty boy, and C) see A.

I subscribe to the Dave Tate school of thought:  "Not Shredded... Not concerned." 

Just let me lift the most weight possible.  Period. 

3 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I actually don't think they touched or helped either. 

Your first point is proven wrong by me.  I would absolutely pick Julius' body over Kirill's because it allows him to lift more weight than Kirill's.  I couldn't care less what I look like because I am:  A) not a female, B) not a metrosexual pretty boy, and C) see A.

I subscribe to the Dave Tate school of thought:  "Not Shredded... Not concerned." 

Just let me lift the most weight possible.  Period. 

I know you're trolling a bit for the sake of the thread and that's okay but every person cares about how they look, including you. Weren't you saying not long ago you were trying to lose some weight? If so, why? It makes you weaker and because you don't care about how you look, it shouldn't matter. 

8 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I know you're trolling a bit for the sake of the thread and that's okay but every person cares about how they look, including you. Weren't you saying not long ago you were trying to lose some weight? If so, why? It makes you weaker and because you don't care about how you look, it shouldn't matter. 

Nope. I don't care what I look like, I care about my health, climbing, and strength in that order. I don't even look in a mirror before leaving the house I literally never think about my appearance. I understand that most people care but a lot of athletes have a singular focus, especially elite ones since you can't become elite without it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Nope. I don't care what I look like, I care about my health, climbing, and strength in that order. I don't even look in a mirror before leaving the house I literally never think about my appearance. I understand that most people care but a lot of athletes have a singular focus, especially elite ones since you can't become elite without it. 

Yes that is one of the main reasons you should care about how you look. Your health. Not that kirill is healthy, being 400lbs is certainly not healthy but he still looks alot healthier than julius.

And may I ask, do you own a comb sir? Do you get haircuts? I dont know you maybe you're bald? Everyone cares about their appearance to some degree.

1 minute ago, king crusher said:

Yes that is one of the main reasons you should care about how you look. Your health. Not that kirill is healthy, being 400lbs is certainly not healthy but he still looks alot healthier than julius.

And may I ask, do you own a comb sir? Do you get haircuts? I dont know you maybe you're bald? Everyone cares about their appearance to some degree and if you say you don't,  you're full of it.

I haven't cut my hair in over a decade and a have a huge unkempt beard, I honestly don't care at all about what I look like, I don't have to look at myself other people do and what others think is none of my business. Of course health is a priority but the appewrence benefits are secondary and not my goal. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Not trolling at all.  100% health reasons for the weight loss. Same reason I quit smoking.  In fact, being smaller is a huge negative for me psychologically.  I literally do not care at all how I look.  For proof, you would only need to see the way I dress.  I haven't bought new clothes in over a decade.  Maybe two???

I've never understood guys that lift weights to look better.  To each his own though.  If that's someone's motivation, get at it.  I always associated that with the GTL Jersey Shore crowd though.  I always just wanted to be the strongest me I could possibly be.   I gorged myself for 10 years at 6000 - 8000 calories a day to put on weight and get stronger.  It's killing me to lose that.

I was raised by my grandparents.  My grandpa was this old German guy.  When I got my first set of plastic, sand filled weights in the basement, he said to me, "if I ever catch you posing in front of the mirror they go in the trash and you get your ass beat.  Those are to make you stronger and a better athlete, not so you can prance around on stage in a speedo like those +@#$."  That was pretty much the only pep talk I ever got from the surly old Krout, so I took it to heart.

Just so we're clear, I would 100% take Maddox' body over Kirill's if it meant I could lift 30 lbs more.  

4 minutes ago, king crusher said:

And may I ask, do you own a comb sir? Do you get haircuts? I dont know you maybe you're bald? Everyone cares about their appearance to some degree.

I started shaving my head because I thought it was asinine for a guy to spend $20 a month to go get his hair cut.  Next thing you know, we'll all be sitting under hair driers gossiping about soap operas and whether Jimmy is cheating on Sally.

8 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

When I got my first set of plastic, sand filled weights in the basement, he said to me, "if I ever catch you posing in front of the mirror they go in the trash and you get your ass beat.  Those are to make you stronger and a better athlete, not so you can prance around on stage in a speedo like those +@#$."  That was pretty much the only pep talk I ever got from the surly old Krout, so I took it to heart.

I have this old pamphlet about weightlifting that I think was printed in the 60's by the AAU  (i think, its at home, not in front of me) and I specifically remember the section where they talk about the Mr. Universe contest and it was officially called "The Mr. Universe Pageant".  Always gave my bodybuilding buddies crap for being in a beauty pageant because of that.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Just so we're clear, I would 100% take Maddox' body over Kirill's if it meant I could lift 30 lbs more.  

This is crazy to me. I'd choose kirills and bench "only" 738 with perfect form showcasing real control over the weight, "man handling or owning it" vs looking like a ticking time bomb and needing to dive bomb the weight into a pillow of flesh to get the lift.

Edited by king crusher