770 lb Raw Bench Press - New Record Again

Chez

3 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Agree here too.  But remember no actual pause is required. The ref is only watching for halted bar movement and can give the press command the moment they determine the bar is still. 

And this is in the USAPL rules as a reason to disqualify a lift:  Heaving, or sinking the bar into the chest or abdominal area after it is motionless in such a way as to make the lift easier.

Julius' lift was sunk, but I guess not after it was motionless. He was probably walking a fine line there. The rules acknowledge heaving/sinking is easier I guess. 

I'd say it's more than a fine line I think he's getting a pass on it each time. Not sure why as no other record I've seen has the bencher using that technique. 

Like I said, I personally use that technique when I'm going for reps and it's getting too hard to continue normally. I'm strong off the chest and it is certainly easier when you're very accustomed to having weight on your chest. Most people don't use pauses in the gym. I personally use them a TON. So for that type of lifter, doing those deep sunk rest pauses makes it easier.

I feel the same way about the absurd arches.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Agree here too.  But remember no actual pause is required. The ref is only watching for halted bar movement and can give the press command the moment they determine the bar is still. 

And this is in the USAPL rules as a reason to disqualify a lift:  Heaving, or sinking the bar into the chest or abdominal area after it is motionless in such a way as to make the lift easier.

Julius' lift was sunk, but I guess not after it was motionless. He was probably walking a fine line there. The rules acknowledge heaving/sinking is easier I guess. 

Correct.  You can sink, but once the bar comes to rest you can't sink anymore.

Duplicate post

Edited by Mike Rinderle

35 minutes ago, hareboll said:

But you might view a strict TNS close of a 150 rated 3 better than a deep set ugly close of a 155.

For the record I'm with you that Julius's was better than anybody else's.  Its 770 for petes sake and it looked easy.  I'm just saying I don't think we can rule out any criticism.

Not the same thing. You do what you do within the rules. A better comparison would be to view a TNS close of a gripper like FU bench or something, it's a different lift. Just like TNS and MMS are two different closes.

And if the rules are 20 mm block set in competition, 155 always beats 150, no matter what set you use. Just like a 350 bench always beats a 335 bench.

• Like 1

Duplicate post

Edited by Mike Rinderle

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Correct.  You can sink, but once the bar comes to rest you can't sink anymore.

You posted this three times sir

Just now, king crusher said:

You posted this three times sir

Yea, phone went wild.

I lifted in this gym, the press in little Canada MN in its heyday.  I got tips on multiple occasions from Mike. By far the best form of any person I've seen in person or online and lifting world class weights at 240lbs.

Here is is 405x15 after a 605 double 

Here is julius doing 405x20. Better form than his sunk singles but still not close to Mike's set not to mention how hes dancing around the bench, just looks sloppy, but he did get 5 more reps. Only 200+lbs more bodyweight too!!!

And yet Julius owns the all-time record and is known by millions.  And Mike... well he's big in Minnesota. 

It ain't a beauty contest.  And he's got the best bench press coach in the world right now.  But he will take your critique under consideration.   🤣

By the way, that video is 14 months old.  He's added about 70 lbs to his max since then, and probably 5 or 6 reps to that 405.

20 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

And yet Julius owns the all-time record and is known by millions.  And Mike... well he's big in Minnesota. 

It ain't a beauty contest.  And he's got the best bench press coach in the world right now.  But he will take your critique under consideration.   🤣

By the way, that video is 14 months old.  He's added about 70 lbs to his max since then, and probably 5 or 6 reps to that 405.

I didn't say they benched the same amount sir. And Mike was a champion bench presser. You can find his name in the record books.  Him and Jeremy hoornstra went back and forth although Mike was a bit past his peak by then, and still had far better form than hornstra.

1 minute ago, king crusher said:

I didn't say they benched the same amount sir. And Mike was a champion bench presser. You can find his name in the record books.  Him and Jeremy hoornstra went back and forth although Mike was a bit past his peak by then, and still had far better form than hornstra.

I would argue that his form is worse since he lifted less weight.  All things equal.

9 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I would argue that his form is worse since he lifted less weight.  All things equal.

Nice trolling attempt lol. Form has nothing to do with weight lifted.

Now here's my turn at trolling: take Mike's 240lb bodyweight and 200lb guy benching three plates and they equal julius' 440lb bw but best his bench by about 180lbs lmao 

Jon Paxton had much more technically sound jump shot than Jordan.  Who's the GOAT?

It's not ice skating.  Nobody cares what you look like as long as you are within the rules.  The ONLY thing that matters is who lifts the most from point A to point B according to the rules.

That is literally the only thing.  

I can sort of understand criticizing this 770 lift, but he has a dozen lifts between 730 and 750 some in the gym but most look fantastic. Doesn't really matter since he was already the best even if you ignore the 770

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Jon Paxton had much more technically sound jump shot than Jordan.  Who's the GOAT?

It's not ice skating.  Nobody cares what you look like as long as you are within the rules.  The ONLY thing that matters is who lifts the most from point A to point B according to the rules.

That is literally the only thing.  

Jordan wasn't the goat based on one shot, it was his overall game. Not a good analogy. 

2 hours ago, Climber028 said:

I can sort of understand criticizing this 770 lift, but he has a dozen lifts between 730 and 750 some in the gym but most look fantastic. Doesn't really matter since he was already the best even if you ignore the 770

There is a ton of criticism of his recent lift. But he has the record. He wouldn't lift that weight if he performed his bench press correctly.  

Same thing with the arch crap, that's within the rules too, doesnt mean it's a proper bench press.

Edited by king crusher

Just now, king crusher said:

Same thing with the arch crap, that's within the rules too, doesnt mean it's a proper bench press.

But it is an important distinction to finish your sentence above with "in my opinion".

It literally IS proper if the rules were followed. 

Your opinion is totally valid, but not applicable to the contest results. The way to vote on this is with your support. Go with the org where you like their rules. Or even best of the worst I guess. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, king crusher said:

There is a ton of criticism of his recent lift. But he has the record. He wouldn't lift that weight if he performed his bench press correctly.  

Sure, but if I outlift you by 30lbs with great form and then outlift you by 40lbs its irrelevant  because the previous lift already cemented my victory. Your comments about the arch are subjective, which is fine but that would disqualify 99% of powerlifters. 

• Like 1

So here are all the new rules we should implement in the new PPL (Purists Powerlifting League)

Squat:  no wrist wraps (helps hold bigger weight), no sleeves or knee wraps, no shoes (definitely help some people, especially with a heel), no wide stance (no more than 12" between heels), and no belt.  Only a singlet can be worn.  A t-shirt helps grip the weight.  Must lower the weight a minimum of 2" below parallel and pause for at least 3 seconds to get rid of the stretch reflex.

Bench: No sinking, 3 second pause, no wrist wraps, no belt, feet up to prevent leg drive, go back to the old 9" wide bench that Doug Hepburn used to bench 500, no arch, no wider grip than pinkies on the rings, and only a singlet with no t-shirt.  Also, you must touch your nipples with bar (no tummy benchers).

Deadlift: no hook or alternate grip (definitely help you hold more weight), no chalk, no sumo, no bar less than a super stiff 32mm bar, no wide stance conventional (12" max between heels), no belt, no deadlift slippers, must wear shoes with at least a 3/4" sole and insole.  Only a singlet.  Must hold the bar at lockout for a 3 second pause before given the down command and must lower the weight in a slow, controlled fashion.

59 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

So here are all the new rules we should implement in the new PPL (Purists Powerlifting League)

Squat:  no wrist wraps (helps hold bigger weight), no sleeves or knee wraps, no shoes (definitely help some people, especially with a heel), no wide stance (no more than 12" between heels), and no belt.  Only a singlet can be worn.  A t-shirt helps grip the weight.  Must lower the weight a minimum of 2" below parallel and pause for at least 3 seconds to get rid of the stretch reflex.

Bench: No sinking, 3 second pause, no wrist wraps, no belt, feet up to prevent leg drive, go back to the old 9" wide bench that Doug Hepburn used to bench 500, no arch, no wider grip than pinkies on the rings, and only a singlet with no t-shirt.  Also, you must touch your nipples with bar (no tummy benchers).

Deadlift: no hook or alternate grip (definitely help you hold more weight), no chalk, no sumo, no bar less than a super stiff 32mm bar, no wide stance conventional (12" max between heels), no belt, no deadlift slippers, must wear shoes with at least a 3/4" sole and insole.  Only a singlet.  Must hold the bar at lockout for a 3 second pause before given the down command and must lower the weight in a slow, controlled fashion.

And in all that you didnt mention NO REST PAUSE SUNK BENCHES INTO BLUBBER

3 minutes ago, king crusher said:

And in all that you didnt mention NO REST PAUSE SUNK BENCHES INTO BLUBBER

Yes I did.  First item on bench.  No sinking.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

The one I think needs a better system to decide if a lift is good or bad is the squat - I don't know how it might be done but a squat to parallel  depth should be somehow made consistent.  I imagine we've all seen some of the super high squats that get passed at times.  Another thing that scares me like I said yesterday is the safety aspect of spotting the bench press with the weights these guys are lifting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, climber511 said:

The one I think needs a better system to decide if a lift is good or bad is the squat - I don't know how it might be done but a squat to parallel  depth should be somehow made consistent.  I imagine we've all seen some of the super high squats that get passed at times.  Another thing that scares me like I said yesterday is the safety aspect of spotting the bench press with the weights these guys are lifting.

I have always said that these guys should be squatting in a power rack.  There is no way spotters are catching 1000 + pounds if something bad happens. 

Now that bench numbers are exploding, they should probably be benching in a rack too.  Take spotters out of the picture altogether.  One guy lifts off and then gets out.

Would give the judges a much clearer line of sight too.  

3 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Are we finally gonna see benching in monolift? 

That actually makes sense.