770 lb Raw Bench Press - New Record Again

Chez

Guy is a freak of Nature. He will pass 800 easy this year. Hes constantly getting stronger

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Yes and the crazy thing is that he has not been lifting for a very long time either. He mentioned in a video with Eddie Hall that he had problems with drugs and crap like that before he found lifting. And he might do strongman after he's done bench pressing. Should be very interesting to see how far he can go, the weights he's lifting now are ridiculous, some world class lifters can't even do that with a bench shirt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes and the crazy thing is that he has not been lifting for a very long time either. He mentioned in a video with Eddie Hall that he had problems with drugs and crap like that before he found lifting. And he might do strongman after he's done bench pressing. Should be very interesting to see how far he can go, the weights he's lifting now are ridiculous, some world class lifters can't even do that with a bench shirt.

I remember that vid and he said hes only been training for 5 years which is just insane. Crazy genetics. he was made for this lift

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Not sure his body type lends itself to current strongman events.  But he's got the upper body strength for sure.

He has to be super smart in his training too. You just cannot get to this level new level without knowing how to train the bench. I think Josh Bryant is his coach?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

He has to be super smart in his training too. You just cannot get to this level new level without knowing how to train the bench. I think Josh Bryant is his coach?

Yes.  And Josh is the coach of the other guy who hit 700 in this same meet.

He is the bench whisperer...

• Like 2

I remember how happy I was when I hit my first bodyweight bench.  

I kid I kid

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I remember how happy I was when I hit my first bodyweight bench.  

I kid I kid

He's a big boy for sure.  He weighs in at 200kg.  It's actually a 1.75 X BW bench, which is way up there for a super heavy. That would put me at a 437 bench right now.  I'd take it.  Lol

The 4 keys to a big bench:

1. Get Josh Bryant as a coach

2. Self-identify as a large black man

3. Eat until you can't eat anymore... then eat some more.  When that fails... eat even more.

4. Get Josh Bryant as a coach

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This dude is re breaking the record so often we have THREE OF HIS RECORDS ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS SUB FORUM LMAO

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

20 cheeseburghers a day. That's all you need for coronary stroke and 700 bench.

I disagree. I regularly train at a buffet and have yet to lift 700lbs of iron. Just ass. My ass. Which doesnt count. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, king crusher said:

This dude is re breaking the record so often we have THREE OF HIS RECORDS ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS SUB FORUM LMAO

Haha yes it's ridiculous, he's the Sergey Bubka of powerlifting :D 

• Like 1

I don't really care about the Bench Press any more but that was one amazing lift!  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, climber511 said:

I don't really care about the Bench Press any more but that was one amazing lift!  

Hey! No cussin’! 

• Haha 1

Not gonna bs.. I thought Julius was a bit sloppy when he first took the record from Kirill. And for a couple months after sort of believed Kirill might take it back due to Julius not really controlling the weight as well as Kirill. But that likely won’t happen now. Julius keeps raising the bar!

dude has literally taken the WR up almost 40lbs in less than 6-7 months!

fun side note, I’d like to see him take the geared bench record also. Mendy still claims to this day he is the greatest bencher in history due to him being the only man ever to hold the raw and geared bench record at the same time. While it is a difficult fact to dispute, he tends to hold it over the heads of any new raw bench record holder. While simultaneously congratulating them in a sarcastic fashion. Almost as if they need his blessing to be 100% crowned bench king. Imo, the best way to rid him of any more of that grand standing is for someone to simply take both records.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Not gonna bs.. I thought Julius was a bit sloppy when he first took the record from Kirill. And for a couple months after sort of believed Kirill might take it back due to Julius not really controlling the weight as well as Kirill. But that likely won’t happen now. Julius keeps raising the bar!

dude has literally taken the WR up almost 40lbs in less than 6-7 months!

fun side note, I’d like to see him take the geared bench record also. Mendy still claims to this day he is the greatest bencher in history due to him being the only man ever to hold the raw and geared bench record at the same time. While it is a difficult fact to dispute, he tends to hold it over the heads of any new raw bench record holder. While simultaneously congratulating them in a sarcastic fashion. Almost as if they need his blessing to be 100% crowned bench king. Imo, the best way to rid him of any more of that grand standing is for someone to simply take both records.

If he gets 800, Mendy can't say much.  Although he will.  Haha

Get 800 and then try the shirt if he wants to.  It will take awhile to learn how to use it and develop a new groove. He also would have to become a touch (instead of bury) bencher.  Plus, those are going to be some expensive size 6xl shirts.  🤣

Once he learned how to use it though, I think 1050 would be doable pretty darn quick.  

Sounds like his next goal after an 800 bench is the log press WR.  So the geared bench might have to wait though.

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Get 800 and then try the shirt if he wants to.  It will take awhile to learn how to use it and develop a new groove. He also would have to become a touch (instead of bury) bencher.  Plus, those are going to be some expensive size 6xl shirts.  🤣

Once he learned how to use it though, I think 1050 would be doable pretty darn quick.  

Sounds like his next goal after an 800 bench is the log press WR.  So the geared bench might have to wait though.

I really think once people saw that bench shirts give you 3-400 lbs on a lift they quit caring about it as much.  I wore one once, wayyy too loose, could get into it myself with no help, had no instruction and Pr’d by 40lbs.  Only time I ever hit 315.  Feel like there’s been a huge pendulum swing away from geared lifting and really doubt Julius would bother going for the geared record.

Plus log lift is just cooler

Edited by hareboll

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I'm still not sure why that bury technique he uses is even legal. I use that too....when I dont have the strength to do a proper pause while doing reps.

The bury technique makes the lift easier. Anyone who's spent years benching knows this. The majority of gym lifters dont even know what it feels like to touch their chest with the bar so they see a bar on the chest and they think it's a great lift. Big difference between getting that rest on the chest vs a true paused bench.

For me, it’s raw or nothing. I think equipped lifting looks stupid 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I'm still not sure why that bury technique he uses is even legal. I use that too....when I dont have the strength to do a proper pause while doing reps.

What federation was this in?  

I believe bury is legal in every federation as long as the bar comes to rest and doesn't dip further after the press command.  

Leg drive makes the bench easier.  Arching makes the bench easier.  Pinching shoulder blades to retract scapula and shorten range of motion makes the bench easier.  Lot's of things make the bench easier, but as long as they are within the rules, everyone that can is good to use them in my book..  Or do we only want to count feet up, flat back, pinkies on rings, 3 second pause lifts as good.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I believe bury is legal in every federation as long as the bar comes to rest and doesn't dip further after the press command.  

Leg drive makes the bench easier.  Arching makes the bench easier.  Pinching shoulder blades to retract scapula and shorten range of motion makes the bench easier.  Lot's of things make the bench easier, but as long as they are within the rules, everyone that can is good to use them in my book..  Or do we only want to count feet up, flat back, pinkies on rings, 3 second pause lifts as good.

Agree, lots of complaining in bench pressing but it's always done by people who are not near the lifts they complain about themselfs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

For me, it’s raw or nothing. I think equipped lifting looks stupid 

Agreed. Bench shirts are ridiculous.  Let’s compare some stats to imagine a glove that acted similarly for grip:

·         Mendelson’s raw bench was 713, his equipped was ~1050.  The 1050 is ~1.5x bigger. 

·         Sometimes equipped lifters will miss a lift because the weight wasn’t heavy enough and so they couldn’t touch their chest for it to count and/or hit their groove.  I was there when Mark Bell missed 800 because it never touched his chest way back in the day.

Imagine you could normally close a 150lb rgc #3 gripper, but when you wore this glove you could close 1.5x that, or a 225lb RB400.  However, you need to at least grab a GHP 9 otherwise the gripper isn’t hard enough for your glove to work.  But you say its not cheating because your gripper contest allows it and you “still have to learn the glove”.  How ridiculous does that sound? Sure its not technically “cheating” because its in the rules, but what are you trying to prove?  That you have the best glove and learned it?

• Like 1