Closed the #2 right outta the box?

Guest todd_xxxx

Guest todd_xxxx

It seems that most of the people here could close big grippers right from the start.  I could only close the trainer for a couple when I got it, couldn't close the number one for a few weeks.  Did anyone that can close the #3 start where I did, or was everyone that closed the 3 strong on grip stuff to begin with?  

Todd,

Anyone that can close a CoC #3 that has done NO formal grip training or works with their hands on a regular basis would be considered a GRIP FREAK.  And I know of no one that has done it.  The #2 could and has probably been done - but the #3 is a totally different story.  As for me, when I first got my grippers - I had to work on the #2 and about three weeks later, I closed it.  I worked for over two years before I was able to close the #3 (nope, I'm not certified yet!).

Ask those that have been officially certified Captains Of Crush - they will tell you the same thing.  They had to work at it.

Sybersnott

Guest Tobbster

I wonder too. Is it possible to become strong enough to close a No. 3 if you, in an untrained condition, can hardly close the Trainer?

Guest JD79

Tobbster, don't give up man.  It sounds like you may have somewhat of a defeatist attitude going.  While I have not closed the #3 yet, I did start out with the trainer.  It even took me awhile to get the #1 and almost 2 years to get the #2.  I'm not giving up and neither should you.  Just work hard and you will get there.  

JD

Guest InchDisciple

Everyone has to start somewhere . You have your God given strength and that which you may have aquired by manual work sport or exercise . You have to do the best you can with the pair of hands big or small that you were born with . Don't despair and there is no need to compete or compare . Just try to progress .

I started out closing only the trainer.

took me a few days to close the #1.

Closed the #3 in february, and got witnessed for certification last week.

So GO FOR IT

train hard

david

Guest Tobbster

Yeah, maybe I am pessimistic, but I want to be realistic as well. I wasn´t completely untrained when I tried the grippers the first time, but if I had been, I don´t think there is any chance that I could have closed The Trainer the first time I tried. Now I can close the No. 1 with either hand if i get a good grip, and not only close it but really grind it and hold it closed all the way for 20-25 seconds.

Guest JD79

Tobbster, I have many a friend that can't close even the Trainer.  So you are above the norm in that department.  You have to be in this for the long haul man.  Like I said, it has taken me two years to shut the #2.  That was two years without the help and guidance of this board though.  You have a two very powerful things going for you, this board and your mind.  IF you believe it, you can do it.  The people here can help show you how to get there, but ultimately the responsibility comes down to you.  You must want to do it, above all else.  You will have good days and bad days, but someday you will accomplish what you set out to do, if you work hard enough for it.

JD

Great post JD!  The mind is, by far, our most powerful weapon.  It can work as well positively for us as it can negatively.  Might as well have it be positively :)

BC.

Guest Brandon

Fellow Grip enthusiasts,

I just happen to trip over your tremendous forum group and glad I did.  I've always been interested in strength events, bought my first COC #2's after I easily mashed for reps the trainers and #1's.  I opened the #2's, got myself in a frenzy and closed them for full reps 15 times righty and 11 times lefty.

I was so excited, I phoned Ironmind and ordered the #3's.  When I received them, I warmed up, then gave them a huge squeeze.  I was both dissapointed and hopeful...I got them to within 3/8 of an inch.  

What I need now, is what this forum and the incredible talent and experience the members can provide:insight, ideas and support!

FYI:  39 years old, 5'11" 210 lbs.  X- Powerifter 198 lb class, lifetime drug free.  14-3/4 forearms, 7-1/2 wrists.  Lift 4 days per week, just beginning to formulate a grip workout.  

Thanks,

Brandon