Nathan Holle - 232 RGC Gripper Close

Anemptybox

Yeah, definitely looking foward to those videos. Nice to see finally see some new stuff. Would also be cool to see his ridiculous PR of 21 MMS reps with CoC 4 or similar (same one as the 7 reps video as I understand it). Crushing machine.

Video with the measurement of this gripper. It's in Russian, but you can watch the video from 4:35.

Edited by Ivan Tikhonov

In Russia, there are two apprats for measuring. 
One measures similar to RGC (1inch = 25.4 mm). "GripperMania" community
Second measure is called SGR (1/2 inch = 12.7 mm). "Steel Grip of Russia" community

The device measured by the method of 1/2 inch is popular only in Russia.
Many people don't understand the difference so they get confused.
The difference is about 5%.
There is also a translation formula in Russia:
RGC = SGR / 0.95
SGR = RGC * 0.95

Below is a video of SGR measurement, from 8:52 minutes

99.8kg SGR / 0.95 = 105 kg RGC

Edited by Ivan Tikhonov
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Saw someone thought it was 220 lbs, why? Is that the general rating? 

I hope this isn't too difficult to understand.
We get this equality
100 kg SGR (220 lbs SGR) = 105 kg RGC (232 lbs RGC)

• Like 2

He claimed it to be roughly 20mm set...looked more like 10-12mm from the instagram video...still a huge close no matter the set width but a little exaggeration. 

28 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

He claimed it to be roughly 20mm set...looked more like 10-12mm from the instagram video...still a huge close no matter the set width but a little exaggeration. 

Agreed but my amateur guess would be 12-15 mm.

Here's a (blurry) still:

cK2wBfX.png

EDIT: The video linked above has a better still at the end.

Edited by Anemptybox

A lot of well made Grippers/Expanders from other side of world, that i wish we could see a compilation vid of various sorts.  SILARUKOV,  FOH (force of hands),  Xbat,  CXP,  Silvis,  Xinyi wanjia  ,and more.  There is a great opportunity to fill in RGC gaps. Crushaholic's from both sides of world need to join forces with  products :)

27 minutes ago, Ryroza said:

A lot of well made Grippers/Expanders from other side of world, that i wish we could see a compilation vid of various sorts.  SILARUKOV,  FOH (force of hands),  Xbat,  CXP,  Silvis,  Xinyi wanjia  ,and more.  There is a great opportunity to fill in RGC gaps. Crushaholic's from both sides of world need to join forces with  products :)

I spent some time last weekend trying to find Silvis grippers and decode their website, and they seem to be out of the gripper business. Tried to look into Xinyi Wanjia today, but there's no data on them and all I know is that they're dirt cheap.

It's really frustrating that there isn't just a consistent and standardized way that everyone rates grippers. Clearly you can get close by converting SGR to RGC, but he has a totally different rig for rating grippers. That guy in the pawn shop's rig looks cool, but I've seen some his numbers be pretty far off from what CPW gets (plus he seems to take the rating just before they are closed, rather than when they are fully closed). Edit: I just watched some more of his videos and he seems to be getting pretty close. I swear there was one really long video where he was way off but I can't find it now.

It's not so much that they need to join forces, just that products need to circulate more. It sounds like the problem is shipping, and that folks (like me) are really hesitant to spend $30 on shipping for a $15 gripper (or even 3 for $20) because the RGC and quality are totally unknown. I think that David Shamey is running into the same problem with the MM ladder with shipping cost and time.

Edited by devinhoo
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I spent some time last weekend trying to find Silvis grippers and decode their website, and they seem to be out of the gripper business. Tried to look into Xinyi Wanjia today, but there's no data on them and all I know is that they're dirt cheap.

It's really frustrating that there isn't just a consistent and standardized way that everyone rates grippers. Clearly you can get close by converting SGR to RGC, but he has a totally different rig for rating grippers. That guy in the pawn shop's rig looks cool, but I've seen some his numbers be pretty far off from what CPW gets (plus he seems to take the rating just before they are closed, rather than when they are fully closed). Edit: I just watched some more of his videos and he seems to be getting pretty close. I swear there was one really long video where he was way off but I can't find it now.

It's not so much that they need to join forces, just that products need to circulate more. It sounds like the problem is shipping, and that folks (like me) are really hesitant to spend $30 on shipping for a $15 gripper (or even 3 for $20) because the RGC and quality are totally unknown. I think that David Shamey is running into the same problem with the MM ladder with shipping cost and time.

I have an xinyi wanjia  adjustable parallel gripper( which is okeyish) but im surprised about silvis main website...the Silvis Frankenstein would have been sweet. Good point about cost and circulating. my shipping cost for silarukov was expensive but turned out good quality wise. silarukov 130 = 149 RGC  and 140=190RGC. Pawn shop guys long vids about lots of brands and  doesnt allow comments either  which  is a waste.

Insane. when it comes to crush, there is Nathan and then the rest of us. hes trained so hard and so long. You have to respect and admire that dedication. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Remember that in that still he has already moved the gripper a little bit as well. Hard to judge distance when you have 0 pause. 

Very true, 20mm might be a good estimate depending on how fast the first mm moved.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Insane. when it comes to crush, there is Nathan and then the rest of us

That’s how I feel about Laine Snook and the RT. Funny how there are some guys just way better than the rest of us. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Boulderbrew said:

That’s how I feel about Laine Snook and the RT. Funny how there are some guys just way better than the rest of us. 

yep, they are the gold standard. 

5 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

And that's probably the main reason why I visit the gripboard. I'm 6' tall and around the 90kg mark, and seeing dudes who (mostly) aren't a lot bigger than me performing feats of almost superhuman strength is a source of inspiration, and also just plain cool.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, devinhoo said:

The world standard for measuring grippers is RGC. 

SGR is an error. The person who created it probably didn't know much about physics. 

Nathan explained in an edit to the post:

"Hello, I’ve had a few messages regarding the distance of the set , it’s from around 20mm. I started squeezing before the setting hand moved . But it looks like 10-15 from when the hand is released . So rather than amend the post I’ll leave this edit in and please assume I only closed it from 10-15mm. Normally I wouldn’t share a video like this, I would wait till I’m back to where I was strength wise . But this was a gift and wanted to share my progress . Thank you for messages"

• Like 1

Jag tror det både skulle kunna tolkas som irriterat/sarkastiskt eller ödmjukt. Jag skulle tippa på att han bara är ödmjuk med tanke på hur han brukar svara. Håller dock med dig om det du skriver. Det är inte millimeter hit och dit som ska vara i fokus, den där grippern är som en tegelsten även för de starkaste.

Hoppas på att han fortsätter lägga ut videos.

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Insane. when it comes to crush, there is Nathan and then the rest of us. hes trained so hard and so long. You have to respect and admire that dedication. 

And he doesn't spend all his time telling everyone how good he is or about some gimmick obscure world record he holds. He just stays humble, and trains.

• Like 13

On 3/3/2020 at 8:09 AM, Anthony C. said:

And he doesn't spend all his time telling everyone how good he is or about some gimmick obscure world record he holds. He just stays humble, and trains.

The guy is a quiet beast and glad to hear he's till making crazy progress :bow:bow:bow:bow

• 2 years later...

Did somebody close a torsion spring gripper heavier than this with a deep/parallel set? Does anybody know? No chokers, no leg set, and no assisted close at the end... I think David Shamey follows him with the MM9, estimated by himself to be around 216 lb/98 kg ('Hardest gripper in my hand'), and Carl Myerscough with a Level 9 rated 216 lb (GHP Challenge). But I didn't know anything more than this in a video.

• Like 4

I can't recall seeing a heavier gripper close with those requirements. I think Carl Myerscough closed a gripper around 220 RGC with a semi-wide set on video.

By the way, it would be cool, and I've said this before, if Carl could upload his videos on YouTube for those who don't use Instagram. Would appreciate if anyone could ask him or share his feats with permission.

• Like 2