Grip Genie is LIVE!

Cannon

40 minutes ago, slazbob said:

It closes fine, Matt...just a “looks” thing for me.  Also, I always believed that it was the spreading of the coils that was the engine of the gripper; could be why there is some variance in ratings? 
like a tighter coil being harder?

I'm not sure so far. The lateral "tightness" of the coils is not a requirement for a spring to work. The only importance to that dimension would be in a precision part setting where the dimension was crucial to final fit with other parts. 

Really the factors are wire size, coil diameter, and number of coils.  If the coils were like a big, looping pig tail that would be a problem for the handles coming together in line. 

But with 1-2 mm gaps it just seems to pose no issue. Except looks and I agree it is not my preference, but it works out fine. 🤗

• Like 1

To those that have closed the gg5 or gg6 how does it feel in the palm with the 18mm handles? The CPW hybrid speak to a 20&16mm handle design for palm comfort.

41 minutes ago, monstrosity said:

To those that have closed the gg5 or gg6 how does it feel in the palm with the 18mm handles? The CPW hybrid speak to a 20&16mm handle design for palm comfort.

Can't really tell the difference. But the Genie grippers v1.0 had thinner handles, around 16-17mm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monstrosity said:

No discomfort at all. Wasn’t even sure of the handles until I compared them to a coc. I have a Tetting Elite with skinny handles- that one is not comfortable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

I'm not sure so far. The lateral "tightness" of the coils is not a requirement for a spring to work. The only importance to that dimension would be in a precision part setting where the dimension was crucial to final fit with other parts. 

Really the factors are wire size, coil diameter, and number of coils.  If the coils were like a big, looping pig tail that would be a problem for the handles coming together in line. 

But with 1-2 mm gaps it just seems to pose no issue. Except looks and I agree it is not my preference, but it works out fine. 🤗

Matt-

ive always wondered about coils maybe you would know...

if the coils were squeezed together with a clamp or something...and not able to expand, would the gripper be harder, or easier? Or maybe not pop back open? 

8 hours ago, slazbob said:

if the coils were squeezed together with a clamp or something...and not able to expand, would the gripper be harder, or easier? Or maybe not pop back open?

The close will feel harder, temporarily. If the coils cannot expand freely due to being restricted somehow, and the spring is forced through the range of motion anyway, the spring has no choice but to deform.  That will feel like very hard closes. There might be an amount of restriction that is 'just right' so that resistance is increased but no damage is done. Good luck finding the sweet spot. The damage would result in a weaker gripper with a narrow spread. People have done this by tightening a small hose clamp around the coils. 

The better way to do this is through the coil center with a rubber plug. When a gripper closes, the circle of coils constricts slightly. If that constriction has to squish the rubber, it will make the close slightly harder. With pretty much any kind rubber, there will not be enough resistence to deform a metal spring. It's a decent solution with relatively low risk. 

I think these practices were more common long before all the options available now. People had to figure out ways to progress without 'tweeners' and ratings, adjustables, and many different brands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, slazbob said:

Only complaint I would have,  is the one I got has coil spread. I don’t like to see space between the coils. Handles might be 19mm?

that's something I've found actually in all of my heavy grips and some other generic hand grippers I've bought from aliexpress...

wonder if it means that all of those grippers including the grip Genie are manufactured by the same company in China... as they share many characteristics including the coils' spread.

IMG_20200315_145011 - 2.jpg

IMG_20200315_145032- 2.jpg

Edited by nimar1994

53 minutes ago, nimar1994 said:

that's something I've found actually in all of my heavy grips and some other generic hand grippers I've bought from aliexpress...

wonder if it means that all of those grippers including the grip Genie are manufactured by the same company in China... as they share many characteristics including the coils' spread.

IMG_20200315_145011 - 2.jpg

IMG_20200315_145032- 2.jpg

I would say probably so. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 8:06 PM, Cannon said:

Here you go nerds.

image.png

Thanks to this thread I recently purchased at GG6. I rated it today at 194. While I'm sure Matt and I will have differences in our ratings it is another data point to suggest that the GG6 is THE best option for bridging the gap between CoC3.5 and CoC4 right now. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Thanks to this thread I recently purchased at GG6. I rated it today at 194. While I'm sure Matt and I will have differences in our ratings it is another data point to suggest that the GG6 is THE best option for bridging the gap between CoC3.5 and CoC4 right now. 

Seriously. Folks working on going from the 3.5 to the 4 could get 5 lb jumps from 180 to 195 with just GG6's.

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Seriously. Folks working on going from the 3.5 to the 4 could get 5 lb jumps from 180 to 195 with just GG6's.

Yep!

21 hours ago, Cannon said:

We got another shipment of these and will keep pre-rating them. 

Out of curiosity, for the pre-rated GG grippers are you always matching the color of the tag to the color of the handles? I've only seen a few pre-rated grippers from that batch on instagram and such, but they all seem to have matching tag/handles. Is that intentional, or just luck of the draw/small sample size of what I've seen?

Edited by devinhoo

5 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Out of curiosity, for the pre-rated GG grippers are you always matching the color of the tag to the color of the handles? I've only seen a few pre-rated grippers from that batch on instagram and such, but they all seem to have matching tag/handles. Is that intentional, or just luck of the draw/small sample size of what I've seen?

I match them by default unless the customer requests something. 

And one general note, the GG6 is yellow, not gold 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

I match them by default unless the customer requests something. 

And one general note, the GG6 is yellow, not gold 😁

I like that! I think it's pretty cool how well the color tags match up with the handles. It's a good look. I got my GG grippers with intentionally contrasting colors, but I'm looking forward to buying more with matched colors. 

And yeah I agree, it's much more of a yellow. Maybe they'll come out with a special edition gold gripper (like they did for the flamingo pink GG3).

Edited by devinhoo

1 hour ago, devinhoo said:

And yeah I agree, it's much more of a yellow. Maybe they'll come out with a special edition gold gripper (like they did for the flamingo pink GG3).

We are already talking to them about a CPW exclusive custom color GG5 or GG6.

WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU GUYS LIKE TO SEE!?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Purple is a color I need more of, and maybe something like a really dark blood red that looks black or red depending on the light

Edited by Clayton Gripslee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

Rainbow GG5 would be pretty cool. I've seen it in pocket knives before, but I don't know if it would work for aluminum. The color is from anodized aluminum, right? 

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Rainbow! I've seen it in pocket knives before, but I don't know if it would work for aluminum. The color is from anodized aluminum, right? 

I was literally thinking exactly that color but couldn't think of the words to describe it 😆

21 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

The color is from anodized aluminum, right? 

Right. 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:29 PM, slazbob said:

No discomfort at all. Wasn’t even sure of the handles until I compared them to a coc. I have a Tetting Elite with skinny handles- that one is not comfortable. 

Same for me on the GG5.  This version of me was nowhere near closing the GG6 so I traded it. 

• 4 weeks later...

how is the grip genie other products?  the pinch blocks etc i know there extremely overpriced just wondering if anyone has used them yet?  there rolling handle looks pretty solid