Hard to fill gripper gaps

devinhoo

I've had several people ask about how to fill the gap between the CoC2.5 and the CoC3, as grippers in the low 140's seem to be hard to come by. I got lucky with a filed RB210 at 137 and an RB260 at 142, and a friend of mine recently lucked out and ended up with a double filed GHP6 at 140.

I hear that just above the CoC3 in the low 160's is a hard spot to fill to fill too. I was planning on using a Silvis adjustable but they seem to be out of stock/production. GHP8's have occasionally been down in the 160's, but those are hoarded prizes.

I know Chez and Stephen Anderson have been having trouble finding grippers in the mid 190's, and I hear that both the RB365 hybrid and the Grip Genie 6 can be in that range sometimes.

What are some other tricky ranges to fill, and what grippers are you using fo fill that gap? Maybe this can be a resource for others as well.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I've had several people ask about how to fill the gap between the CoC2.5 and the CoC3, as grippers in the low 140's seem to be hard to come by. I got lucky with a filed RB210 at 137 and an RB260 at 142, and a friend of mine recently lucked out and ended up with a double filed GHP6 at 140.

I hear that just above the CoC3 in the low 160's is a hard spot to fill to fill too. I was planning on using a Silvis adjustable but they seem to be out of stock/production. GHP8's have occasionally been down in the 160's, but those are hoarded prizes.

I know Chez and Stephen Anderson have been having trouble finding grippers in the mid 190's, and I hear that both the RB365 hybrid and the Grip Genie 6 can be in that range sometimes.

What are some other tricky ranges to fill, and what grippers are you using fo fill that gap? Maybe this can be a resource for others as well.

Cannon specifically filed a gripper to get me my 160. Ymmv,  but talking with him might help. 

For me having the small jumps helped and these 6 pound gaps I have suck. 

• Like 3

This is my list of known problematic "dead zones" between 50 and 220.

55.  Can be reached by IronMind Trainer, but uncommon.

100.  Very hard number to hit.  Can be reached by IronMind #2.  Grip Genie Level 3 is promising for this slot.

115.  Can basically only be filled by GHP 5 at the higher end of that range.

140.  The problem child and most requested number.  The easiest way to get here is a filed GHP 6 or IronMind #2.5.  I can target numbers with the filing pretty reliably.  It's been nice lately that GHP Level 7 is coming in lower and is close to servicing this number, but not quite.  Grip Genie Level 5 promising for this slot.

160.  The other problem child.  Very easy to target with a filed IronMind #3.  As with 140, some GHP Level 8s are coming in lower and coming close to servicing this number.  

190 and 195.  The real DEAD ZONE.  Nothing rates 190 or 195... ever.  Like, never.  Never ever ever.  Best I can do is file an IronMind #3.5, but for unaltered grippers it seems impossible to hit.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I just found 190 and 195 Grip Genie Level 6s.  Booyah.

I know its not the same but I bought RB 300 extended handle from your company and its rating 190- that could be an option for some.

10 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Is it mine

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Wow, that's awesome. Right where @Chez and @Stephen Anderson need.

Keep me posted in case any GG5's end up being close to 160. I managed to get one at 150 but I hear a lot of other folks have gotten them much lower than that.

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Wow, that's awesome. Right where @Chez and @Stephen Anderson need. Keep me posted in case any GG5's end up being close to 160. I managed to get one at 150 but I hear a lot of other folks have gotten them much lower than that.

That’s awesome. I have that range covered. I really need high 190s and low 200s. But I’ll keep an eye out for freak level 6s

44 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Wow, that's awesome. Right where @Chez and @Stephen Anderson need.

Keep me posted in case any GG5's end up being close to 160. I managed to get one at 150 but I hear a lot of other folks have gotten them much lower than that.

One went 163.  Another 158.  There will be GG5s around 160 for sure.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2020 at 1:50 AM, Cannon said:

140.  The problem child and most requested number.  The easiest way to get here is a filed GHP 6 or IronMind #2.5.  I can target numbers with the filing pretty reliably.  It's been nice lately that GHP Level 7 is coming in lower and is close to servicing this number, but not quite.  Grip Genie Level 5 promising for this slot.

The rated Hybrid RB 240 I purchased from you was rated at 140 pounds, pretty much exactly what I was hoping for when I ordered it. I really like the 16mm handle too, my stubby fingers can wrap around it better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

Same here. I think the idea is that those should be harder to close, but I feel they are easier because of that. 

I think that's another argument for the "feel" of a gripper contributing to how hard it is to close in addition to RGC. FBBC made some grippers with 1" handles that felt like 170 even if their RGC was technically closer to 140. I've heard the same thing about some of the upper level GHP's too, the whole "rough through the sweep and hard at the close" mantra.

Edited by devinhoo
link

50 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Same here. I think the idea is that those should be harder to close, but I feel they are easier because of that. 

Agree. The rating is the rating, but I can get great hand position. The leverage seems ideal.

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

The leverage seems ideal.

I think that's why I like my hybrid gripper so much. I have a clamped COC #3 I can close, but without the clamp I just can't seem to get a good hand position on it. The 16mm handle feels more comfortable, and I think the knurling might be coarser too.

• Like 1