Weight changes

wobbler

Since everyone is hitting hot topics lately, how about this?

I'm probably 180 by default, but give me 3 weeks and I can get to 175 or a bit over 190.

How do you feel it affects strength, what's your range within a reasonable time frame, any other thoughts?

Train at a higher weight and drop down for a competition? Stay closer to weigh in so you don't lose strength?

Edit: and please play nice, no references to all the recent BS, give the moderators a break this weekend at least

Edited by wobbler

The easiest thing to do is walk around 2-4% above your weight class and have a nice quick water cut for competition, then you can gain most of that back in a few hours and be good to go. Traditional bulk and cut is always good, the benefit of gaining weight long term is the constant anabolic affect of a calorie surplus so its easy to get strong. 

My natural BW hangs around 208-212 so the cut to 205 consists of not eating like at jackass for the week leading up to the contest. I think figure out a weight that you feel strongest and then go from there. If you are stronger at 190 then compete there but if there is no difference between 180/190 then whatever you feel is best situational for you at the time. 

It's grip.  Go in weighing whatever you normally do and compete at whatever class the scale happens to say that day.  There's no money in this and you aren't putting your life on the line like a boxer, so not much reason to manipulate your weight IMO.

If you really feel the need, a water cut up to 5 lbs shouldn't affect your strength too much if you get rehydrated before the contest starts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

The easiest thing to do is walk around 2-4% above your weight class and have a nice quick water cut for competition, then you can gain most of that back in a few hours and be good to go. Traditional bulk and cut is always good, the benefit of gaining weight long term is the constant anabolic affect of a calorie surplus so its easy to get strong. 

Very interesting! Not to hijack the thread, but I would like to hear more on this.

I’m not even sure what questions to ask.. but is there any particular way to eat that causes this effect? Or is it just simply a matter of eating more?

29 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Very interesting! Not to hijack the thread, but I would like to hear more on this.

I’m not even sure what questions to ask.. but is there any particular way to eat that causes this effect? Or is it just simply a matter of eating more?

Any calorie surplus puts you in a general anabolic state. For most people this would just make you fat but if you're strength training you get muscle as well as fat. Just think of it as having more fuel to repair the damaged tissues. If you're losing fat, you generally can't get stronger unless you're untrained. The goal there is just to try to hold onto as much strength as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's not much of a difference for me, but then again I haven't done enough contests to really know. I'd rather get numbers posted at the lower weight, than lift like <5% more at a heavier weight.