Safe to assume Shaw can easily clean the inch?

Tommy J.

Only posting because I’m unsure if he already has or not?

point of interest @3:20

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 2

He's already cleaned two at the same time while sitting down and he has easily lifted a MDB so it's easy to assume he can do it. I don't really see how he would fail to be honest.

I'll start so this thread can get stupid quickly.  the Inch weighs 172 and Shaw weighs about 420 so that 41%.  A 200# guy would only have to clean an 82# fat handle DB to be equal to it.  :) 

Can the "average" man clean 41% on a 2 3/8" DB?

And yes I know it doesn't work that way.  But .................

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

I'll start so this thread can get stupid quickly.  the Inch weighs 172 and Shaw weighs about 420 so that 41%.  A 200# guy would only have to clean an 82# fat handle DB to be equal to it.  :) 

Weight is not an issue for Brian since he can press much more than the bell weighs. It's not a heavy weight on his body. It's 100% about grip for him and he has the grip for it. With no doubt.

I assume yes because awhile back he talked about his thoughts of never before done but possible feats being a snatch and a double clean. This was even before his incline press. Seems like he could clean it easily to even consider a double clean or a snatch. 

9 minutes ago, climber511 said:

And.....here....we....goooo

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Totally. I consider myself pretty average and cleaned a thick handle dumbbell that was just under half my bodyweight pretty easily. I have never actively trained cleans.

53 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Average healthy man can press 100 kg with both hands. He just need to train. Trainspoting

8 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Only posting because I’m unsure if he already has or not?

point of interest @3:20

Has lateral raises with inch dumbbells ever been done?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Has lateral raises with inch dumbbells ever been done?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, king crusher said:

And.....here....we....goooo

Na. I’m not taking the bait. It should be more apparent than ever though that Tommy J. Ain’t to blame when threads go south. And it’s funny, when I don’t respond I get the “what’s the matter Tommy? Got nothing to say?” But then when I do respond everyone acts shocked.... it’s actually quite a bizarre phenomenon. Enjoy whatever direction you guys decide to take it. 👍🏻 

Looks like it’s going to end up in another brilliant BW discussion. Maybe even make some super heavy grip guys feel even more ousted than they already feel. 🤷🏼‍♂️

But please, by all means. Carry on.

Edited by Tommy J.

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Na. I’m not taking the bait. It should be more apparent than ever though that Tommy J. Ain’t to blame when threads go south. And it’s funny, when I don’t respond I get the “what’s the matter Tommy? Got nothing to say?” But then when I do respond everyone acts shocked.... it’s actually quite a bizarre phenomenon. Enjoy whatever direction you guys decide to take it. 👍🏻 

Looks like it’s going to end up in another brilliant BW discussion. Maybe even make some super heavy grip guys feel even more ousted than they already feel. 🤷🏼‍♂️

But please, by all means. Carry on.

Well i will chime in! Bw has nothing to do with a strong press! 

ITS ALL TECHNIQUE! CHANGE MY MIND 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In answer to the question posed by Tommy as the title of this thread, my answer is: Hell No.

Brian Shaw has more YouTube videos, long long long ones, than anyone I care to count. If he could, he would, and it would go viral.

No.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

In answer to the question posed by Tommy as the title of this thread, my answer is: Hell No.

Brian Shaw has more YouTube videos, long long long ones, than anyone I care to count. If he could, he would, and it would go viral.

No.

Keep in mind that the majority of his followers don’t even know what an inch DB is. To them, “so what.. he cleaned a 172lb DB.” And they are very likely to not even understand that cleaning the inch with 1 hand is awesome. In fact, I would bet that most wouldn’t even notice if he took it to shoulder with 1 hand or 2 hands. To them, the press of the DB is the feat. And others can press close to, or more than 300 with 1 hand. Brian is certainly aware of this. I see the same situation when strongman guys do DO axle DL’s and upload them. Example, Terry Holland’s uploaded a 500+ axle DO lift on an off brand axle. And about 70% of his followers made the comment “I thought Eddie has the WR DL at 1,100lbs?”. Proving that the masses have zero clue what they even just witnessed.

if you’ll watch the video, you can see that he cleans over a 200lb DB on a 2” handle 1 hand without any fuss. I would think that adding 3/8” to the handle size, and subtracting 30lbs (equaling an Inch DB) would be a definite yes.

fwiw, I doubt it would even go viral unless he had other relevant to strongman content in the video as well.

the only reason Marks vid is viral is due to it being on the WWE YouTube page that has 55M subscribers. Which also suggests that not even half of those subscribers bothered watching the video, given it has under 13m views.

Edited by Tommy J.

The reason I don’t agree with TJ on the above post is that BRIAN certainly knows what an outstanding feat that it is, even if the average Bench Press Goon does not. He would want a good video on record to show off his prowess, because it is pretty obvious he loves to post Brian Shaw videos.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

The reason I don’t agree with TJ on the above post is that BRIAN certainly knows what an outstanding feat that it is, even if the average Bench Press Goon does not. He would want a good video on record to show off his prowess, because it is pretty obvious he loves to post Brian Shaw videos.

I think you are confused as to why Shaw posts his content.  His youtube and other social media pages are probably his largest source of income by far.  It's his job.  It's how he became a multi-millionaire.  Not saying he doesn't like to see himself on the youtubes, but he's not on there for the same reasons guys like me would post something.  

That doesn't take away from your argument on the Inch clean, but he isn't just posting vids of himself up over some narcissistic need to be on the instafacespace.  He gets paid lots of money every time he posts a video.

• Like 2

Okay Mike, I’ll throw this angle at you as well. Shaw has lifted a Millennium replica. Henry (an inch cleaner) has not.

Shaw has proven he has superior grip to Henry.

Shaw also demonstrates in the video above that he can competently handle way more than the inch DB’s weight to his shoulder.

🤷🏼‍♂️

So now the only thing to address here is the belief that “if he could he would”.

And this one is super easy to understand.. 

Brian, just like every other WSM winner, obviously has no intentions to mimic strength feats that have already been done. I wouldn’t if I were him. If I were in Brian’s shoes, I’d be aiming at becoming the first to clean the Millennium instead.

• Like 2

He is obviously in the know with grip. And does focus on it. And is an actual member here who has posted on the board since at least 1 of his WSM victories. I hope he sees this and responds.

also, I’ll add the disclaimer once again that in no way am I a Shaw fan. Although I do believe his grip strength is often times down played in any way possible around here. A lot. For reasons unknown. He’s mega strong on blobs and thickbar in particular. That we know. And could do the USA proud in a big Armlifting worlds comp vs other countries, IF he threw his hat in the ring. I think it’s worth the time to keep his lifts in the loop.

my question is, why don’t some of you reach out to Brian and relay you’re thoughts? But I guess you can’t... because if you could, you would have already. 😁

Random side note: now that Felix is in on Armlifting, I suspect more WSM will join up in the not so distant future. This could get exciting! I know I’ve said before that I can understand why more WSM don’t compete in grip, but do admit I’d love to see more of them in it.

Edited by Tommy J.

6 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I think you are confused as to why Shaw posts his content.  His youtube and other social media pages are probably his largest source of income by far.  It's his job.  It's how he became a multi-millionaire.  Not saying he doesn't like to see himself on the youtubes, but he's not on there for the same reasons guys like me would post something.  

I didn't understand the "Youtube" income part until Haugen explained it to me this past October at King Kong. Otherwise, you would have correctly read me. 

You and Tommy are pretty much saying the same thing. The reason why I believe what I do is that after having watched all of those History Channel episodes with Eddie/Oberst/Best...I think that Brian is not as secure with himself and as strategic as TJ and you believe he is. I think he is less self-aware of his motivations than say MR or TJ. Which is a really hard thing for me to say on the World Wide Web😄

I have never "met" Brian. But a few years back, standing next to him at a LA Fix Expo contest (I was doing grunt work and he was doing a little bit of substitute MC'ing while someone had stepped away for a few minutes), I excitedly blurted out something to him, and he speechlessly gagged "yeah". Eric R had just done a roughly double bodyweight Axle DL, and I turned to Shaw and said "Can you believe that guy doing that at HIS Bodyweight???!!!" I am not sure if Brian just mumbled something in awe or what sound came out of him (I think it was "yeah"). Eric, at that moment, Brian knew he was not in your League. And of course, I may be going WAY too deep into a Strongman's psyche, and to many on the Gripboard, they take what Eric does as just another day at the office, but 5 or 6 years ago, whenever it was, it was remarkable, and Shaw was both speechless and stunned. 

All this being said, one of my all-time FAVORITE videos is that Sorinex one of Tex, then Rich, then Brian lifting that large Circus Bell at the Arnold. Shaw made them look like children. 

Mark Henry's rapid clean is somewhat owed to his experience as an Olympic Weightlifter. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems like "his" clean was more impressive than the others who have done it.  I think it is the Oly WL experience that made that happen. He would have spent years more in "Cleaning Practice" than Strongmen or Gripsters. 

And if Tommy is correct about Millennium Cleaning, then I will certainly be proven Wrong many times over. 

Edited by Hubgeezer
Left out the word “favorite”
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I didn't understand the "Youtube" income part until Haugen explained it to me this past October at King Kong. Otherwise, you would have correctly read me. 

You and Tommy are pretty much saying the same thing. The reason why I believe what I do is that after having watched all of those History Channel episodes with Eddie/Oberst/Best...I think that Brian is not as secure with himself and as strategic as TJ and you believe he is. I think he is less self-aware of his motivations than say MR or TJ. Which is a really hard thing for me to say on the World Wide Web😄

I have never "met" Brian. But a few years back, standing next to him at a LA Fix Expo contest (I was doing grunt work and he was doing a little bit of substitute MC'ing while someone had stepped away for a few minutes), I excitedly blurted out something to him, and he speechlessly gagged "yeah". Eric R had just done a roughly double bodyweight Axle DL, and I turned to Shaw and said "Can you believe that guy doing that at HIS Bodyweight???!!!" I am not sure if Brian just mumbled something in awe or what sound came out of him (I think it was "yeah"). Eric, at that moment, Brian knew he was not in your League. And of course, I may be going WAY too deep into a Strongman's psyche, and to many on the Gripboard, they take what Eric does as just another day at the office, but 5 or 6 years ago, whenever it was, it was remarkable, and Shaw was both speechless and stunned. 

All this being said, one of my all-time videos is that Sorinex one of Tex, then Rich, then Brian lifting that large Circus Bell at the Arnold. Shaw made them look like children. 

Mark Henry's rapid clean is somewhat owed to his experience as an Olympic Weightlifter. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems like "his" clean was more impressive than the others who have done it.  I think it is the Oly WL experience that made that happen. He would have spent years more in "Cleaning Practice" than Strongmen or Gripsters. 

And if Tommy is correct about Millennium Cleaning, then I will certainly be proven Wrong many times over. 

Not gonna lie, Jedd’s clean was pretty surprising too though. I think Jedd was only 250? And his inch clean vid is the best so far that 100% shows there was no incidental contact of the bell to the body. I think I remember a discussion here on the board that pointed out Marks clean maybe had some contact with the body? I can’t for the life of me remember the thread though. I do remember that the thread wasn’t even about Mark. But the conversation went there somehow. Also mentioned in that thread was Rich’s body contact on his clean.

• Like 1

I think what made Jedds so impressive was that he's not an Olympic lifter, and no offense but his clean form is not great so he had to clean it much higher than he would have had to if he had the mobility to get into a better catch position. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Random side note: now that Felix is in on Armlifting, I suspect more WSM will join up in the not so distant future. This could get exciting! I know I’ve said before that I can understand why more WSM don’t compete in grip, but do admit I’d love to see more of them in it.

If actual big time strength athletes get the bug and take over grip, most of us are going to have to find a sport that's even more niche so we can feel superior.  Maybe horseshoe bending will take off again.  I can see the threads now.  I've been carrying around this wrapped DS5 everywhere I go.  Not a single strong guy has ever wobbled it.  I've never coached anyone on proper technique or anything, but still...

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

If actual big time strength athletes get the bug and take over grip, most of us are going to have to find a sport that's even more niche so we can feel superior.  Maybe horseshoe bending will take off again.  I can see the threads now.  I've been carrying around this wrapped DS5 everywhere I go.  Not a single strong guy has ever wobbled it.  I've never coached anyone on proper technique or anything, but still...

We might be safe unless some kind of money enters the sport - then we're screwed :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, climber511 said:

We might be safe unless some kind of money enters the sport - then we're screwed :) 

Mandatory drug testing would be an excellent deterrent. Big-time strength guys would still do very well but lets see the grip lifts done CLEAN!!! I will still take Jedd Johnson, Tanner Merkle, Gil Goodman, Chad Woodall, David Horne(in his prime) over any strongman in all-around grip- if everyone was drug free.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Mandatory drug testing would be an excellent deterrent. Big-time strength guys would still do very well but lets see the grip lifts done CLEAN!!! I will still take Jedd Johnson, Tanner Merkle, Gil Goodman, Chad Woodall, David Horne(in his prime) over any strongman in all-around grip- if everyone was drug free.

Chad is a strongman

Edited by Tommy J.