Captains of crush #2 (no set only) brought out on the town

27 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I’m not sure if you fully digested my last post? It’s obvious I’m not taking any of you serious. The one that appears to be on a mission here is you. 🤷🏼‍♂️

And yes, they were no set closes. As was mine the first time I tried and closed a #2. Then about 1 month later when I hooked up with Paul and Eric, they showed me how to set and I closed a #3 that day.

and in all honesty, in many cases I don’t even actively look for grip guys. They sort of get brought to my attention by others. Like the night Tanner showed up at arm wrestling practice and and lifted the inch. Everyone at practice blew me up. Pete, the guy that was a friend of my neighbor, just strolled up in my drive way to look at my Road King. Then minutes later spotted my inch and plucked it up off the ground. Same with new mechanics and drivers that roll into the shop. The other mechanics bring them to me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

But then again, this is Texas. Maybe everyone should just revert back to Stephens strongest state thread right now and bow publicly? Because at this point, the evidence is overwhelming that Tx has more unsuspecting beasts walking around than any other state.

That’s right! You’ve hit the nail right on the head! I am on a mission to see who can close my #2 no set style that looks strong.... that looks the part.... that seems to be an issue for you, and that’s ok. Enjoy the thread. 😉

By the way....I think you know I  only bow to Jesus Christ...

TEXAS POWAAAA!

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That’s right! You’ve hit the nail right on the head! I am on a mission to see who can close my #2 no set style that looks strong.... that looks the part.... that seems to be an issue for you, and that’s ok. Enjoy the thread. 😉

By the way....I think you know I  only bow to Jesus Christ...

TEXAS POWAAAA!

Damn right. And contrary to my optimism on others in other states, it would appear I’m forced back on the repping for Texas only train.

so thanks Joe. You just made it easy for my past and future Texas gloating to be 100% genuine. 😂

to everyone, when you get tired of hearing it, thank Hoe!

edit: Joe

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, BradProv said:

Started carrying a #2 in my pocket and handed it to regulars and their buddies, only one guy closed it ever (or within a mm for sure)... he was an electrician who admitted his wire snippers he used daily were dull and he really had to clamp on them all the time lol.

in 1999, my first #2 was abnormally set wide. Years later, Cannon RGC’d it at 117 lbs after oiling. In 1999, a 31 year old closed it first time he touched it. He too was an electrician who used lousy wire cutters. At the time, I was a quarter inch off of closing it. Never saw that topped, but I cut way back on pushing my religion/cult onto others in the early 2000s.

9 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Lol okay.... I’ll tell all you guys that swear up and down #2 closes are some super duper rare feat exactly what you want to be told...

you are sooo strong for closing a #3. You are true rare elite genetics. You deserve a throne, complete with full time fluffers, servers, and anything you want at you’re beck and call. Because you are a higher being genetically. And no man out there can close a #2 besides others that share you’re elite genetics.

....is that what some of you are farming this thread to hear?😂

next thread will be about how no one can just lift the inch first try. Or, because you’ve never witnessed it, then it doesn’t happen, rather. Sigh.

this thread is for everyone who thinks they are monster crushers with #2+ closes to suck their own D. So you’ll have to forgive me for not playing along or encouraging it.

I dont waste peoples times with grippers; generally take a blob and inch to AW events and more often than not more people can lift the Inch compared to an easy next gen 50lb blob. 10-12 people have lifted the inch without ever seeing it before (some knew what it was, others did not) and only 4-5 people have lifted the blob. I take the easiest next gen since I will have to demonstrate about 100+ times throughout the day how to lift it. 

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 2

No. This is what you want to put in my mouth. There is and ever will be some Bell curve involved when you test untrained men. And some of us just want to have real perspective regardless of where we stand on that curve. To say everyone can smash no. 2,  you just have to show them mms or whatever set, is plain stupid as we can see from experience here. The only thing which is in question still is how many men can smash no. 1 with whatever set.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chez said:

No steer wrestlers in the my area (40 mins north of nyc) Honestly, most guys in the tri state area lift to look good on the beach. I was making fun of guy I know at the gym for using those lifting hand pads for pull ups when the pull up bar was already covered with rubber. 

Yeah different goals buddy. They are just building up muscles to show off to women at the beach ;) Good for them.

17 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I had two big air conditioner installers ask me what the grippers out on a table were, and they tried them (by bigger I mean over 200 pounds, one might have been 250, and they looked young and fit).  The bigger one almost got the 1.5, the other was not even close.  Neither could get close on a 2.  To support Joe's point, I do think it is rare that an untrained person can get the 2, but to support Tommy's point, these two manual laborers were better than anyone from my law office.

Exactly.

17 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't think it's common.

I've tested quite a lot of people with my dynamometers and adult males usually get a reading between 50-65 kg. That will not translate to a #2 close at first try.

I've gotten 50 KG average. I remember @acorn tested his dyno in a power lifting comp and the average was 65 kg. It was somewhere here on the gripboard.

17 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I can tell you that the dynamometer numbers do not translate to my gripper numbers... if we are going by what the ratings of the grippers say. I can squeeze way over 200 on a dyno.... but my no set grippers is in the 160s. I don’t think they are comparable. 

Yes and no. If you get 200 pounds on a dyno, then you got 200 pounds in that exact position, because most dyno's are hydraulic. It also doesn't measure the last 1/4 inch of gripper close. 160 pounds on a gripper is NOT the force you are using to close it. I know this because, when the RGC/calibrate a dyno, they use a strap at the end of the handles. So it takes 160 pounds to close if the pressure is given at the handles end. But you are not using one finger at the bottom to close a gripper. You use all four fingers plus your thumbs. The more up you go, the harder it will be. Now this is purely speculation, but I think if we RGCed a 160 gripper from the middle, we will get 200+ close force. So your hand is surely closing way more than 160. Don't forget the ring and the pinkie is doing most of the work. Maybe around 200. Who knows. The thumb is also playing a part in the close.

Also, when me, Laine and Jedd tried the dyno at my place, we got almost identical numbers (with 5% to 8% less) on a spring dyno (RB dyno).

17 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Just curious:  what would you say is a rough comparison of DYNO to gripper number, for say, COC 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4?  I know it would vary by set and individual, and even by which DYNO is used, but just curious because I like numbers and comparisons.

Hmmm my best Baseline was around 116 KG (255 LBS) when I did my MMG2 and close my 171 elite. But I don't train grippers. My best comp baseline was 108 KG when Laine Snook was 110 KG, Josh Thigpen was 105 KG, and 7 feet Sam was 101 KG.

16 hours ago, Chez said:

I got 287 lbs on the digital baseline Tim has and at the time I was 200 rgc mms. I think on a good day I could have maxed it at 300

Sounds right. I think Paul Knight was the same on the dyno when he closed a #4. Morgan closes a #4 and he maxes on the baseline dyno.

9 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Tommy,

You seem to be one of the only ones that have found #2 closers on the first try. I’m almost certain these weren’t no set closes, so I can see you have, but I can tell you no one has come even close to no setting the #2 first try with he pool I am testing .This isn’t about us being stronger because we can close a number 2 or above, or performing fellatio on ones self, as you put it  it’s about seeing who in the general public can close the #2 in the no set fashion. Enjoy it for what it is, or don’t. It seems to be irritating you quite a bit though and I can’t understand why. Or why you think anyone is tooting their own horns because of it. This is purely for fun, just like grip in general is. No ones getting paid for this crap.  In the long run, no one gives a damn what we lift, what grippers we can close or what steel we can bend outside of the people I can count on my fingers and thumbs on my 2 hands (and that’s pushing it).... so, enjoy it for what it is and try not to take it so seriously. 

Yes we should enjoy it. It's just for fun.

9 hours ago, Chez said:

You naughty boy!

29 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I dont waste peoples times with grippers; generally take a blob and inch to AW events and more often than not more people can lift the Inch compared to an easy next gen 50lb blob. 10-12 people have lifted the inch without ever seeing it before (some knew what it was, others did not) and only 4-5 people have lifted the blob. I take the easiest next gen since I will have to demonstrate about 100+ times throughout the day how to lift it. 

That seem to be the case. Is it hand size related or?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Ah, finally! You’re a breath of fresh air in this thread Luke. Thanks for posting. FWIW, I’ve seen at least this many first time inch lifters as well. Over half were arm wrestlers like what you’ve seen.

aside the arm wrestlers, here’s a list of guys I’ve seen lift the inch first try.

David Troutt: at the time was deadlifting 700+, then later went on to pull 800+ on a stiff bar. Power lifter, 242 class. He and Pete Rubish had a back and forth briefly on DL. David also killed a #2 that same day first try, no set. Not big hands either. I went to high school with David. And also remember him being one of the guys that showed up for my backyard boxing thing I was doing as a kid. He fought hard, but couldn’t move well. He was smaller then than when I ran into him at the Coleman though.. the day he lifted the inch and closed the #2 I hadn’t seen him in years. I’ll add that I wasn’t eager to bring up kicking his ass in my back yard when we were kids, given how much bigger he was when we crossed paths at the Coleman. 😝  below is some footage of David deadlifting

Pete Whitaker: a random friend of one of my neighbors that seemingly wandered up out of nowhere to look at my motorcycle. After asking what the inch was, he did the ugliest DL of it I had ever seen. It was more than apparent he had never lifted a weight a day in his life. But still managed 2 full inch lifts. I got the 2nd one on vid. When I asked what his background and profession was, he told me he hung large windows on high rises for some years. I assume this is where his good grip came from. Also not large hands, and is a 200lb guy.

vid of Pete lifting the inch: this was his 2nd lift. Didn’t get the first one on vid because I didn’t think he’d get it.

Morgan Choi lifted the inch in either hand the first time he ever saw one. Can’t find vid, but I was there. It was the day I reffed his #3 cert.

Those were just some more memorable first time inch lifters I witnessed that were not arm wrestlers.

here are the Arm wrestlers I’ve seen do it.

Michael Bluth- first try seeing one

Nick Zinna- but was a grip guy also

Gerome Loud- first timer, also a fairly light guy, 225.

Ken Blackman- former NFL’er and played for a team that Kim Wood was the strength coach for. Fun fact, Ken has also lifted the ORIGINAL Inch DB! Obviously I knew he wasn’t lying when he said he played for the Bengals.

Mark Nutsch- first timer, lifted thumbless

Ron Bath- 1st timer, thumbless

Chris Chandler- first timer, thumbless

And 3 other arm wrestlers lifted it in Southern Regionals, but were dicks about telling me their names.. almost as if they were pissed because I didn’t already know them or something?..

anywho, you guys get the point. These are just the ones right off the top of my head that I remember like it was yesterday. And these are just the ones I’ve seen in person do it. So don’t forget Tanner also lifted it first try, I just wasn’t at practice that day.

Edited by Tommy J.

20 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

No. This is what you want to put in my mouth. There is and ever will be some Bell curve involved when you test untrained men. And some of us just want to have real perspective regardless of where we stand on that curve. To say everyone can smash no. 2,  you just have to show them mms or whatever set, is plain stupid as we can see from experience here. The only thing which is in question still is how many men can smash no. 1 with whatever set.

Just looked through the thread. I literally don’t see anyone saying that. So in an ironic show of ignorance, your post is actually what’s plain stupid. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I am no psychoanalist but I know something about human psyche. I am not telling what you do I will tell what appears what you do. If you prove somehow that all healthy men can do what you did (close no. 2 first try I suppose) then situation can be turned in your favor. Then ranks go like these: Chez (one of examples from Olympus) is GOD, you are average and closer to GOD than rest of us "suckers" who belong to genetic trash. That may be considered narcissistic behavior.

Edited by Goran Paulinič
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Just looked through the thread. I literally don’t see anyone saying that. So in an ironic show of ignorance, your post is actually what’s plain stupid. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Maybe it was some other guy in other topic who said just that. In that case I am sorry. But it is for sure that someone said that. MAybe it was Rindele who knows no one who didn't close no. 2 first try.

This whole theme and debate revolves around claim that no. 2 is nothing. For women and children if I may say so. That is the reason why author of this thread did his experiments in the first place.

Edited by Goran Paulinič

8 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Damn right. And contrary to my optimism on others in other states, it would appear I’m forced back on the repping for Texas only train.

so thanks Joe. You just made it easy for my past and future Texas gloating to be 100% genuine. 😂

to everyone, when you get tired of hearing it, thank Hoe!

edit: Joe

How old are you Tommy? Get a grip, man. I’m not even gonna waste my time anymore.  It’s like dealing with a kid. This was supposed  purely a fun thread... but you always seem to want to make it into a superiority contest between Texas. Makes me laugh out loud and I’m sure others do to, but they don’t say it because they don’t want to deal with your endless barrage. . So, once again.... I’m out. 

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Maybe it was some other guy in other topic who said just that. In that case I am sorry. But it is for sure that someone said that. MAybe it was Rindele who knows no one who didn't close no. 2 first try.

No need to apologize.

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

How old are you Tommy? Get a grip, man. I’m not even gonna waste my time anymore.  It’s like dealing with a kid. This was supposed  purely a fun thread... but you always seem to want to make it into a superiority contest between Texas. Makes me laugh out loud and I’m sure others do to, but they don’t say it because they don’t want to deal with your endless barrage. . So, once again.... I’m out. 

I’m 34. Then after that I’ll be 35.

and what are you talking about? This thread is fun. 😁

And you’re out? LOL.. did the Texas boy just kick you out of you’re own thread? 😆

1 minute ago, Tommy J. said:

No need to apologize.

I’m 34. Then after that I’ll be 35.

and what are you talking about? This thread is fun. 😁

And you’re out? LOL.. did the Texas boy just kick you out of you’re own thread? 😆

Dude, get a GRIP man. Seriously.  

Edited by Guest