Captains of crush #2 (no set only) brought out on the town

You should test people who work with their hands, not gym bros. The gym bros use straps when they lift, they don't develop any grip strength. Unless you go to a lifting gym where people actually compete in strength sports you're not going to find people with strong hands, unless maybe it's a juiced up bodybuilder, they might have strong hands.

I've tested around 6-7 people on grippers and all of them could close #1 once I showed how to do it. Also tested a few old people 70+ one of them could close the trainer and most of them could not.

The strongest guy closed a Silvis T-Rex set to around 105# with a loud click, not technique just a pure TNS. I had another T-Rex in a choker at around 140-145# which he also closed with a loud click, no "setting" there either. 

Everyone I've tested besides the old folkes were gym people, the only guy has never been to a gym was the the strong guy, he works as a car mechanic.

31 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

You should test people who work with their hands, not gym bros. The gym bros use straps when they lift, they don't develop any grip strength. Unless you go to a lifting gym where people actually compete in strength sports you're not going to find people with strong hands, unless maybe it's a juiced up bodybuilder, they might have strong hands.

I've tested around 6-7 people on grippers and all of them could close #1 once I showed how to do it. Also tested a few old people 70+ one of them could close the trainer and most of them could not.

The strongest guy closed a Silvis T-Rex set to around 105# with a loud click, not technique just a pure TNS. I had another T-Rex in a choker at around 140-145# which he also closed with a loud click, no "setting" there either. 

Everyone I've tested besides the old folkes were gym people, the only guy has never been to a gym was the the strong guy, he works as a car mechanic.

To all who said I “shoulda done it this way”...

The whole point was to test gym rats ... that was what I wanted to see... if you or anyone else wants to start the thread of testing whoever you like, have  it. Would be interesting to see more results. My aim, as stated in my original post was to see it the GRIPS matched the PHYSIQUES.... but in true GB fashion, everyone is gonna tell me what I should or shouldn’t have done with my testing. On that note... I’m out.....

Both me and my dad could close the #2 when I got it. Not brought it to work though.

But I did bring my GG5v2 to work (warehouse) and one guy almost closed it TNS, maybe a mm or two away from getting it, and the guy is 6'6-6'7 and around 200lbs . Everyone else couldn't even get it to parallel.

Edited by Hannes

8 minutes ago, Hannes said:

Both me and my dad could close the #2 when I got it. Not brought it to work though.

But I did bring my GG5v2 to work (warehouse) and one guy almost closed it TNS, maybe a mm or two away from getting it, and the guy is 6'6-6'7 and around 200lbs . Everyone else couldn't even get it to parallel.

This "big guy" must be skinny as fua.k! Shreded to the bone! You sure you didn't forget to add at least 30 pounds?

14 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The whole point was to test gym rats ... that was what I wanted to see... if you or anyone else wants to start the thread of testing whoever you like, have  it. Would be interesting to see more results. My aim, as stated in my original post was to see it the GRIPS matched the PHYSIQUES.... but in true GB fashion, everyone is gonna tell me what I should or shouldn’t have done with my testing. On that note... I’m out.....

You can do whatever you want. I'm not telling you what to do. It was just meant as an advice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

You can do whatever you want. I'm not telling you what to do. It was just meant as an advice.

Really? Gee... thanks...

Back when I first got into Grip (2003) I took my Grippers with me to have people try fairly often.  The big surprise was rock climbers were terrible on gripers but could hang from their fingertips forever - mostly on the small size they just didn't have much crushing strength.  Mechanics and the various construction trades could often close the #1 and sometimes the #2 but not often.  Block layers were one group with beastly hand strength it seemed - I'd like to see what those guys could pinch more so than grippers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Mechanics and the various construction trades could often close the #1 and sometimes the #2 but not often.  Block layers were one group with beastly hand strength it seemed - I'd like to see what those guys could pinch more so than grippers.

Those are all below average weaklings. Normal healthy men could crush no.1 with easy and get #2 at next trainnig session. You are sourronded by weak men.

I've only had a handful of people close a 2 on first try. A lot of people can close a 1 tho, I think the only ones that fail are office workers or other people who have no movement practice. 

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I will add that the grip strength rarely matches the physique. Especially so with grip guys. Or I guess it would be more appropriate to word it as    Rarely do strong grip guys have a physique that matches that crazy grip! I mean no offense.. some of the grips around here, if you looked at just the numbers and couldn’t see the guy doing it, would appear as though those hands are attached to a 1,000lb deadlifter or something. But never has that been the case with any grip guy.

34 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Those are all below average weaklings. Normal healthy men could crush no.1 with easy and get #2 at next trainnig session. You are sourronded by weak men.

Ah, clever attempt... now I’ll pretend to be you..

nobody but nobody closes a #1 without 5 years HARD training! No natural man can bench or deadlift his BW unless he is truly exceptional! No natural man can out lift me! Only steroids can beat me!

😂

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Agree here. Sort of the same thing happens in CrossFit gyms where all the dudes wear headbands, wrist wraps, and a $500 lifting belt so when they do Kipping pull ups they don’t throw out their back. Gotta get ready to get ready, ya know? 😆

12 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I think it doesn't have as much to do with peoples proffesion as you'd like to think. We like to have an 'acceptable' reason for everything, oh he's a carpenter, he probably has good grip strength, or he is a mechanic, he could probably easily smash the 2 etc. Just because a carpenter you let try the 2 smashes it, doesn't mean that carpenters have good grip strength. After that you could easily run up to 10 other carpenters who doesn't get past parallell. 

The thing is that strong people are just strong, and that's all there is to it. Genetics. 

Oh, in my opinion of course. 

Other than also being mad curious what a brick mason could do in pinch, I do agree here. True natural strength is so unsuspecting. I’ve handed my #2 to every mechanic I’ve worked with since I’ve owned Ironmind grippers. Maybe out of 65-70, 8-9 of them absolutely killed it. Which is still way better odds than many in grip like to believe! Point of note for anyone interested, they were all front end guys. Brakes/steering/suspension.

edit: and that 8-9 does not include all the other random guys that did it. Drivers, firemen, a guy that hung windows on high rises, one competitive shooter, one actual bodybuilder, and the rest I don’t even know what they did for a living. They just happened to be in the right place at the right time and I was there handing them a gripper. And fwiw, the guy that closed the 2.5 was a tractor driver. If I’d have had a #3 that day I wouldn’t have bet against him getting that with a no set also.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Ah that makes me feel much better 

If anyone was wondering, I was honoring another request to blast.

happens all the time. People like to save face so they hit me up. So far I’ve never declined. And I always let the requester remain anonymous. Just add my own twist to what they want said. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I really should should start charging per post tho.. being you’re lyrical mercenary does take time.

yes. Everyone just read that correctly. I don’t just randomly decide to swat a thread up. It gets solicited. ....Not always tho. 😬

Edited by Tommy J.

46 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I think it doesn't have as much to do with peoples proffesion as you'd like to think. We like to have an 'acceptable' reason for everything, oh he's a carpenter, he probably has good grip strength, or he is a mechanic, he could probably easily smash the 2 etc. Just because a carpenter you let try the 2 smashes it, doesn't mean that carpenters have good grip strength. After that you could easily run up to 10 other carpenters who doesn't get past parallell. 

The thing is that strong people are just strong, and that's all there is to it. Genetics. 

Oh, in my opinion of course. 

Yes it's 100% genetics. The guy a mentioned who works as a car mechanic is naturally strong. He pick up and carries engines with his bare hands and he's the only one in the workshop where he's working who is strong enough to do that. And he has has always been able to do that.

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes it's 100% genetics. The guy a mentioned who works as a car mechanic is naturally strong. He pick up and carries engines with his bare hands and he's the only one in the workshop where he's working who is strong enough to do that. And he has has always been able to do that.

Ive seen this done. Not crazy uncommon, but it is a show stopper when a guy in the shop does it. Next time I see it I’ll try to get vid. It’s faster than chaining up a cherry picker to lift it. I can’t quite lift one up to put on a stand tho.. very unruly weight and jagged edged. I pick up Allison’s from the floor and put them on the shop table often tho. And often times when I pull them from a truck I don’t use a trans jack. Just raise my knees up to support as I unbolt and then lower it down to my chest. Then since Me and the trans are already on the creeper, we both roll out from under the truck at the same time. Its not as safe, but it’s way better to unbolt without a big goofy jack taking up all the floor space while I wrestle around trying to get it unbolted.

IMO, if you went to  powerlifting meets, NFL teams, NBA, MLB you would find 99% of men would do better at thickbar than grippers. Grippers you need technique/training and cannot maul. My first grip contest, the 3 dudes that I beat(humble brag no:) all could DL over 600 lbs and had totals over 1,500 but none could CCS a #2. Give them month or two of training and they would do it very easy. 

Edited by Kluv#0

3 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

IMO, if you went to  powerlifting meets, NFL teams, NBA, MLB you would find more 99% men would do better at thickbar than grippers. Grippers you need technique and cannot maul. My first grip contest, the 3 dudes that I beat(humble brag no:) all could DL over 600 lbs and had totals over 1,500 but none could CCS a #2. Give them month or two of training and they would do it very easy. 

Moral of my editorial- just because you cannot close a #2 first try doesn't mean you are not strong. Gripper strength is cool but all it means is you can close grippers. Pinch(1hp, 2hp), wrist strength, thick bar then grippers, in that order of importance.

• Like 2

Picking up an engine would depend on the engine. One of my cars has a aluminum 1.2L 3 banger. Its puny, and probably very light. 

Now if were talking a 460 ford or 454 chev, I'll golf clap to that lol

I think it all comes down to what the lifter is focusing on.  Most "average" gym rats work on your normal gym lifts for upper body stuff......bench press, military press, bent rows, dips, pushdowns, curls, etc.  Now, if you were to take a CoC #2 gripper and approach a group of semi-competitive powerlifters, my guess is that almost all of them would be able to close it.  That is because they've indirectly focused on grip strength through the training they've done.  Strength is also pretty relative.  Take some of these guys who mainly focus on grip and have otherworldly grip strength.  From what I've seen, the bulk of them have okay gym lifts, but nothing special.  Is that because they don't totally focus on gym lifts, or is it because they're just not that strong?  I would say it's because they don't put a ton of focus on gym lifts or powerlifting movements, but if they decided to do so, most of them would probably be pretty successful at it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

I think it all comes down to what the lifter is focusing on.  Most "average" gym rats work on your normal gym lifts for upper body stuff......bench press, military press, bent rows, dips, pushdowns, curls, etc.  Now, if you were to take a CoC #2 gripper and approach a group of semi-competitive powerlifters, my guess is that almost all of them would be able to close it.  That is because they've indirectly focused on grip strength through the training they've done.  Strength is also pretty relative.  Take some of these guys who mainly focus on grip and have otherworldly grip strength.  From what I've seen, the bulk of them have okay gym lifts, but nothing special.  Is that because they don't totally focus on gym lifts, or is it because they're just not that strong?  I would say it's because they don't put a ton of focus on gym lifts or powerlifting movements, but if they decided to do so, most of them would probably be pretty successful at it.

I don't think so. The #2 is not as easy as many think. Unless you have a deadlift that is huge (without any use of lifting straps) doesn't mean they will close the #2.

I know of people who can deadlift above 300 kg who can't close anything above the #2. Grippers require practice. It almost doesn't matter how strong you are if you're doing it wrong. If you're doing it completely wrong it really doesn't matter how strong you are in other lifts.

It's not easy for everyone to learn the technique in one session either. Some learn quick, some don't.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

So, I brought my COC # 2 rated at 108 out on the town to a  big street fair in Florida. There are a ton of fit and bodybuilder types wherever the sun is out most of the year... so I decided to see if the grips matched the fuzz zeeks. 

Struck up a conversation with just about every strong looking dude I came across. One was built like Goldberg from WCW back in the day. I handed the #2 to each willing participant. Not one of them out of 12 people could even come close to shutting the handles. The closest one was within an inch... and it was not the Goldberg look alike. It was a guy that was wiry and worked with his hands as a carpenter.  I think I’m gonna carry this thing around whenever I go to a public place with a large group of people. It was fun to see them try. Some knew what they were and some did not. Not one of them  wanted to be filmed on there attempt. I guess this goes to show that all the ones on here that think their grip is “weak” because they can “only close “ a 2 or 2.5 really aren’t as weak as they thought.....

Joe

Joe, first of all thanks for telling us your results. Yes this is not new. The world doesn't revolve around certain places. There are 7 billion people, half of them are in India and China. And 99.999999% of them will NOT close a CoC #2 first time. 99.99% will not even close a #1. This goes to most places around the world. Because of technological advancement, less people are working their hands. Long ago in 2005, when I had free time, I used to take my #1 and #2 around. Yes there are people who can close #1. One guy closed a #1 no set with two fingers. It was just so easy for him. A #2 is different. Unfortunately I don't really remember if it was the 1 or 2 he closed with two fingers. But I can assume it was the CoC 1. Few people got close to my 2. Maybe 2 people ever closed it. As for my strongman friends, a friend of mine closed a CoC #3 after I showed him how to do it. It wasn't a good MMS, but reasonable. you know him, Marc Van Der Haer. He farmers walk with 185 KG on each hand on a 42MM thick handles. That helps. Of course, the general public will NOT close a #2 unless he was super big/strong and works with his hands. I saw a short 5'5" yet thick came to 2 MM no set my 2. But hey it wasn't closed. Strong guys are there, but the 99.999% can't. We are 7 billion after all.

15 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I picked them specifically on their physical appearance.... meaning if they looked gym strong. If you read my post again, you will see the guy that came the closest was a fit wiry guy who worked with his hands. Every guy I asked to try tried it... so don’t know what you are getting at with the not being able to convince people to try it statement... but ok....

I bet you know who a strong person is haha!

5 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Anyone have a different method/way should do it himself and let us know. It is always better to get more results. You stick to what you think is best, because you are not being paid to do any of this! This is just for fun guys, relax. 

• Like 2