Captains of crush #2 (no set only) brought out on the town

10 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I picked them specifically on their physical appearance.... meaning if they looked gym strong. If you read my post again, you will see the guy that came the closest was a fit wiry guy who worked with his hands. Every guy I asked to try tried it... so don’t know what you are getting at with the not being able to convince people to try it statement... but ok....

And maybe you should read MY post again. I clearly said “getting MORE people to try”

6 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Yup I had two nurses (male) at work close the number 2 first try, one of them got 1mm from a 2.5. My dad did the 2 first try and my brother did the 2 and 2.5 first try pretty easily. Those people aside, the average guy I run into can close a 1 but not the 2.....but these are all people from TX 🤠 haha

Scratch that! It appears 2 of us know how to pick em! Either that or we don’t hang out around a bunch of pussies! 😂

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Yup I had two nurses (male) at work close the number 2 first try, one of them got 1mm from a 2.5. My dad did the 2 first try and my brother did the 2 and 2.5 first try pretty easily. Those people aside, the average guy I run into can close a 1 but not the 2.....but these are all people from TX 🤠 haha

Where the strong are bred!!!😎

12 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Scratch that! It appears 2 of us know how to pick em! Either that or we don’t hang out around a bunch of pussies! 😂

Can we get a firepit rant already... geez give the people what the want!!

19 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

And maybe you should read MY post again. I clearly said “getting MORE people to try”

Only tried the 12 I came across today....I read it just fine.... I made my quota.... and said I should carry it with me more often to see the results... sooooo........

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Your opinion is that your feats don't count as strong, but others would disagree, especially strong people that can't do them. Your high standard for being good means there's only a dozen or so people in the world who are strong, and that seems silly. 

No. Stop. My “opinion” is rooted in fact. Im not Strong. Any body can tear Cards..anyone.  Anyone can lever the weight I levered. Anyone can bottoms up 90 lbs. The problem is no one gives a shit. That must be my advantage 🙄 No one around here cares about finesse tearing cards except the strongmen types and Tim, No one except Russia it seems cares about bottoms up pressing and the few around here that do already have matched my PB, both those guys are stronger then I am. No one really levers hammers for max weight either. Except joe. 

TNS? No one really cares about that either.. except joe. Bending? Pfff i get out bent all the time im a 6th string bender. . Im not strong, nearly everyone on this board has or could kick my ass in contest and probably just messing around in the gym. I might get lucky and edge a few guys out on something random, and just because Im a stupid fat sack of moldy bread. But anyone here can do what I can do if you gave a shit. If I was actually strong id have the numbers to back that statement up. And we wouldn’t be beating the dead horse further into the dirt. 

The proof is in the pudding.  So lets stop pissing on me and telling me its raining, alright?  You’ll never see my name for contest victories, or mentioned for doing something cool af. Ever. Im out . 

1 hour ago, Tom Flesher said:

Now I’m picturing @Kluv#0 lugging a 45-pound plate around town and asking randos to rim keypinch it. 

LOL! I should have a booth at fair and do something like that. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay let’s skip you’re feelings on the matter.

ill rephrase. How am I the only guy in grip that has found multiple people to close a #2 first try, 1 to close a 2.5 first try, and more than 10 first time inch lifters? When every other grip guy out there alleges it’s impossible to find these people?

am I magical? Extremely lucky? No way... or is it because my approach is not limited to guys I “think” are strong? I try everyone on days I’m out with equipment. Not just douche bags with tank tops.

The point of the experiment was because I tested those that looked like gym rats. Ones that looked like, as you put it “douche bags with tank tops”. My thoughts on how they would not close it came to fruition by none of them closing it. That was the point.... my experiment turned out exactly how I thought  . Maybe next time I’ll test those that look like just working guys or average looking gentlemen as you did, but that was not the point of my experiment. Thanks for the advice though, Tommy. Always appreciate how you go out of your way to enhance what we are doing here! 😉

3 minutes ago, KapMan said:

No. Stop. My “opinion” is rooted in fact. Im not Strong. Any body can tear Cards..anyone.  Anyone can lever the weight I levered. Anyone can bottoms up 90 lbs. The problem is no one gives a shit. That must be my advantage 🙄 No one around here cares about finesse tearing cards except the strongmen types and Tim, No one except Russia it seems cares about bottoms up pressing and the few around here that do already have matched my PB, both those guys are stronger then I am. No one really levers hammers for max weight either. Except joe. 

TNS? No one really cares about that either.. except joe. Bending? Pfff i get out bent all the time im a 6th string bender. . Im not strong, nearly everyone on this board has or could kick my ass in contest and probably just messing around in the gym. I might get lucky and edge a few guys out on something random, and just because Im a stupid fat sack of moldy bread. But anyone here can do what I can do if you gave a shit. If I was actually strong id have the numbers to back that statement up. And we wouldn’t be beating the dead horse further into the dirt. 

The proof is in the pudding.  So lets stop pissing on me and telling me its raining, alright?  You’ll never see my name for contest victories, or mentioned for doing something cool af. Ever. Im out . 

90 lb bottoms up press is very good! I will bet big dollars majority on this board would have zero chance with 90lb. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

90 lb bottoms up press is very good! I will bet big dollars majority on this board would have zero chance with 90lb. 

Because as stated barring injury. No one really cares to mess with it. Timbo smashed it I believe and Dr Mike last I knew was all over it too. Pretty sure if folk ACTUALLY cared we’d see big weight, because its not hand size or bw dependent. 

29 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Because as stated barring injury. No one really cares to mess with it. Timbo smashed it I believe and Dr Mike last I knew was all over it too. Pretty sure if folk ACTUALLY cared we’d see big weight, because its not hand size or bw dependent. 

Who is “Dr. Mike”?

41 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

What the heck is bottoms up? Like pounding a beer? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, king crusher said:

What the heck is bottoms up? Like pounding a beer? 

I can do 16oz easy, 24 if the place has them in stock. 

• Haha 1

I YouTube checked and it looks like you just press a db from the face? I've never heard of that lift

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

ill rephrase. How am I the only guy in grip that has found multiple people to close a #2 first try, 1 to close a 2.5 first try, and more than 10 first time inch lifters? When every other grip guy out there alleges it’s impossible to find these people?

am I magical? Extremely lucky? No way... or is it because my approach is not limited to guys I “think” are strong? I try everyone on days I’m out with equipment. Not just douche bags with tank tops.

Tommy, I think you are asking guys who work with their hands, and arm wrestlers. Not the case with others.

i’ve never found a tradesman yet who can’t close a one, and never seen a generic gym rat yet who could. My experience was generic carpenters could close a 1.5, but the 2 always stopped them. I had a young lady from my office take a Number 1 to her CrossFit gym, and the only one who could close it was an electrician. 

And, maybe it has something to do with Texas...

• Thanks 1

I've had a good number of officers over the last 20 years close a #2 on their first try. The youngest has been 18. Which is the minimum age to be an officer. The two oldest were in their low 50s. Both of the older guys were very strong overall and were lifelong lifters. Neither had trained with grippers though. The lightest officer to close the #2 was 145lbs. The heaviest was 310lbs. 

• Like 2

The weakness of all this is you people are stroking it thinking of how you’re stronger than the average person. Bros, the average man in America is diabetic or prediaberic,, can’t do 3 pull ups, can’t run .5 mile, can’t go 4 flights it stairs before out of breath. Pathetic by 25. 

Only 10% of people in USA even go in a gym more than 3 times in 50 days. The home gym community can’t be accurately measured but decidedly smaller than commercial pot. Small crowd. 

Hows your crush measure up to Paul Knight? How’s your rolling thunder stack against Mark Felix? How’s your steel bending compared to Don or Tommy? 

Are you you really proud you’re stronger than Jimmy in accounting or Rufus who bags your groceries? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Tommy, I think you are asking guys who work with their hands, and arm wrestlers. Not the case with others.

i’ve never found a tradesman yet who can’t close a one, and never seen a generic gym rat yet who could. My experience was generic carpenters could close a 1.5, but the 2 always stopped them. I had a young lady from my office take a Number 1 to her CrossFit gym, and the only one who could close it was an electrician. 

And, maybe it has something to do with Texas...

Oddly enough, I’m starting to believe more and more that this is a thing..

of the inch first time inch lifters, yes, over half were arm wrestlers. But the #2 closers were all mechanics or tractor drivers I’ve worked with. And the 1 guy that closed the 2.5 is also a tractor driver, that has never lifted weights. When I showed him my 3 plates for 5 in the slingshot, he asked “how much is that?”.

at this point tho, more what I think is going on is those around here who actually challenge people to grip feats aren’t actually seeking people they think “can” close it. I think more what they do is seek out the biggest guy that “can’t” close it, so they can blow the wind for their own sail afterward.

• Confused 1

Btw Joe, not trying to pick on just you here. I’ve seen many similar posts since I’ve been in grip since 2011. To me it just seems impossible that grip guys don’t run across others with strong grips. Especially when taking into account the combined years in grip around here.

and it’s not just grip I witness this same phenomenon with. For example when I started my bench thread, like 8-9 people kept trying to convince me how rare 3 plates on the bench was.. let alone 4 plates. it was mind boggling imo.. like, what? do those people live under rocks? Also seen similar sentiments on squat strength in the past. During my 8 year enlistment I saw swaths of guys in various different groups on various military base gyms taking turns running trains on 4 plate ATG squats. Just about every time I was at a base gym there was a group of guys that would sneak in the gym when on duty squatting 4 plates in working uniforms. I mean that’s not also to say I didn’t see my share of other groups doing half squats with way less weight in those same gyms.. 🤷🏼‍♂️ But still.

so I don’t know.. I guess my exposure to brutes most of my life has been much different than most? But again, does that mean I’ve been lucky or something? In my mind, the answer is no... some stuff is just not that uncommon. Just look harder. Talk to people more. Stop walking around out in public looking at you’re damn feet or you’re phone!

I guess you could compare it to bar fights or something?.. yeah, a bunch of people get to say they never were a part of dumb shit like that.. but if you don't patron bars often, or never had a stint in you’re life where you did, then your experience is irrelevant on the subject. And can’t even be applied. Ask anyone who works a door at a bar how often mf’ers get hurt over a nothing.

Or guys that claim they have never crashed a motorcycle.. okay.. do you even ride?

see what I’m saying? Most of the guys who comment on what they think is rare strength wise have only stepped foot in a high school gym once or twice. Or maybe got that 1 membership to a health spa that 1 time when they were in their 30’s. And because that spa also had a set of free weights and they didn’t see anyone doing 3 plates there, then it’s not common.... sheeeiiit.. strong mf’ers don’t go to health spas. And rarely do they lift at gyms like 24 hour fitness. Walk into a military base gym. Take a tour of a prison facility that allows trustees to lift free weights. Walk into Metroflex and then tell me what you see. Rusty plates, body fluids on mirrors, chalk dust everywhere, bent bars all over the place, and a bunch of miss matched DBs. Because people who lift in those places ain’t there for anything other than to get strong, or stronger.

im getting all over the place here, but am gonna keep going!

have a look at the 375 raw bench race thread. And show me more than 1 guy in the race that even does his benching in a gym!..

if you can’t find strong people, it’s because you ain’t looking!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KapMan said:

Okay fine Shawn... You win. You suck at everything... now can we keep the self loathing to a dull roar? Or If your gonna self loath publicly, do it tastefully and keep it fun for everyone.

what no one has dropped on you yet is that you do it (self loath) in a way that makes us feel obligated to encourage you otherwise. Because if we don’t, then we leave out feeling guilty or something.

• Haha 1

Just now, Tommy J. said:

Okay fine Shawn... You win. You suck at everything... now can we keep the self loathing to a dull roar? Or If your gonna self loath publicly, do it tastefully and keep it fun for everyone.

what no one has dropped on you yet is that you do it (self loath) in a way that makes us feel obligated to encourage you otherwise. Because if we don’t, then we leave out feeling guilty or something.

Ill do it when you stop hopping from post to post trying to be the center of attention. Bah gawd. 

You guys feel however you want. Feeling guilty over something you have no influence over  sounds like a personal problem. 

1 minute ago, KapMan said:

Ill do it when you stop hopping from post to post trying to be the center of attention. Bah gawd. 

You guys feel however you want. Feeling guilty over something you have no influence over  sounds like a personal problem. 

Okay so couple points I want to address here.

1. it just occurred to me why others don’t seem to find strong folks out there.. it’s because you lack the in-your-face personality I have.. 🧐

I am not timid to get right up in the middle of everything. Anywhere i go.

2. “I will stop when you stop.” Your actually saying this because you’ve made the decision to continue to bestow upon us more of you’re self loathing. Because you know I won’t stop gettin all up in these threads. 😁

Okay fine. Self hate away. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I can say that it doesn’t take a genius to see that every single person here really doesn’t want to hear it. As is vaguely evident in their responses to it. I’ve yet to get that same riff with my shenanigans. But the day I do, I shall change it up or take a break!

but no. No one has personal issues when they don’t want to see someone in their proverbial circle hate themselves all the time. And feeling some guilt for not helping, or having an eagerness to help is an obvious sign of compassion for others. So please don’t insult it?..

• Haha 1