Captains of crush #2 (no set only) brought out on the town

So, I brought my COC # 2 rated at 108 out on the town to a  big street fair in Florida. There are a ton of fit and bodybuilder types wherever the sun is out most of the year... so I decided to see if the grips matched the fuzz zeeks. 

Struck up a conversation with just about every strong looking dude I came across. One was built like Goldberg from WCW back in the day. I handed the #2 to each willing participant. Not one of them out of 12 people could even come close to shutting the handles. The closest one was within an inch... and it was not the Goldberg look alike. It was a guy that was wiry and worked with his hands as a carpenter.  I think I’m gonna carry this thing around whenever I go to a public place with a large group of people. It was fun to see them try. Some knew what they were and some did not. Not one of them  wanted to be filmed on there attempt. I guess this goes to show that all the ones on here that think their grip is “weak” because they can “only close “ a 2 or 2.5 really aren’t as weak as they thought.....

Joe

Edited by Guest

Did you give any of your victims a primer on technique?

And I agree that closing a 2 puts you well above the average Joe... unless his name is Sullivan. I’m just glad you didn’t bring your 20 pound hammer. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

.... I’m just glad you didn’t bring your 20 pound hammer. 

I thought of Joe today. My Strongman gym just inherited a bunch of new equipment including a bunch of sledges. Someone was complaining that they didn’t know what to do with them so I busted out a couple of quick face levers on the 10. No one could even do the 8 convincingly. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom Flesher said:

I thought of Joe today. My Strongman gym just inherited a bunch of new equipment including a bunch of sledges. Someone was complaining that they didn’t know what to do with them so I busted out a couple of quick face levers on the 10. No one could even do the 8 convincingly. 

Another case of things being put in perspective. 

The first time I ever saw someone show off with a lever was thirty years ago when the foreman on our job site demonstrated it. Not sure of the weight. He didn’t lift at all. Just a big thick-boned German from the Texas hill country. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Did you give any of your victims a primer on technique?

And I agree that closing a 2 puts you well above the average Joe... unless his name is Sullivan. I’m just glad you didn’t bring your 20 pound hammer. 

HaHa yes I gave them the tip to split the pinky and proper hand placement in the thumb pad. But that’s where it ended. It was no set all the way.

21 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

That’s AWESOME TOM!!!!

Wish you came up to 2011 Chez lol. The skinny natural crush version. Would have been funny 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Wish you came up to 2011 Chez lol. The skinny natural crush version. Would have been funny 

I hear ya, Chez. Same for 2017 me ... I was able to no set it for 8 reps the first time I laid hands on a #2 gripper fresh out the box.  You as well would have made light work of it if I met you on the street in 2011.. but it’s not the case for 99.9% of the population. So many  Guys here think they are “weak” because we have a distorted view of what’s strong. The guys here are a minority and should be proud to do what they do @KapMan...

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

So, I brought my COC # 2 out on the town to a  big street fair in Florida. There are a ton of fit and bodybuilder types wherever the sun is out most of the year... so I decided to see if the grips matched the fuzz zeeks. 

Struck up a conversation with just about every strong looking dude I came across. One was built like Goldberg from WCW back in the day. I handed the #2 to each willing participant. Not one of them out of 12 people could even come close to shutting the handles. The closest one was within an inch... and it was not the Goldberg look alike. It was a guy that was wiry and worked with his hands as a carpenter.  I think I’m gonna carry this thing around whenever I go to a public place with a large group of people. It was fun to see them try. Some knew what they were and some did not. Not one of them  wanted to be filmed on there attempt. 

Joe

I haven't tried as hard as that, but no one in my office could close even a 1, and I think just one guy closed the trainer, and not on first try.  That's not to say they couldn't get there, but it is not something most people (even relatively strong ones) are just naturally able to do.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I hear ya, Chez. Same for 2017 me ... I was able to no set it for 8 reps the first time I laid hands on a #2 gripper fresh out the box.  You as well would have made light work of it if I met you on the street in 2011.. but it’s not the case for 99.9% of the population. So many  Guys here think they are “weak” because we have a distorted view of what’s strong. The guys here are a minority and should be proud to do what they do @KapMan...

I slammed the 1.5 out of the package first time I tried grippers but it took me a week to get the 2.  Still not bad!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

I slammed the 1.5 out of the package first time I tried grippers but it took me a week to get the 2.  Still not bad!

Nope, that’s not bad at all, man. Thats very good. Especially for a lawyer who had not trained in any physical way with weights .

Just now, Vinnie said:

Some guys at a street fair had a rolling thunder out and said they would give a free gym membership to anyone who could hold 100 pounds for minute.  I did it, and they were astounded, but I didn't need the membership.  We talked grip a little after that, and then they saw why I was able to do the hold.  A hold which of course in our circles is not so amazing, but for guys who never tried it, it is hard.  They did not plan to be giving away too many memberships that day.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Some guys at a street fair had a rolling thunder out and said they would give a free gym membership to anyone who could hold 100 pounds for minute.  I did it, and they were astounded, but I didn't need the membership.  We talked grip a little after that, and then they saw why I was able to do the hold.  A hold which of course in our circles is not so amazing, but for guys who never tried it, it is hard.  They did not plan to be giving away too many memberships that day.

Wow! That’s considered hard to a non gripster? That’s insane! See? The things we think are a joke, a lot of “strong” folks find hard. Crazy!!

9 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I often invite gym bros to try the things I play with at the gym. Rolling Thunder is a popular one because they're always astounded it looks easy to hold onto but it just slips out of their grasp.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I often invite gym bros to try the things I play with at the gym. Rolling Thunder is a popular one because they're always astounded it looks easy to hold onto but it just slips out of their grasp.

I ran a little steelbending clinic a couple of weeks ago. I thought I packed the easy stock for them. I did not. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Haha I love it!! “GYM BROS”

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Im not thinking Im weak. Its a proven fact, backed by hard data. It is what it is. 

You laugh. I got F@ck all to show for all this perceived “strength”.  And the 99% model is Butkus. So lets not go down that road.  

9 minutes ago, KapMan said:

You laugh. I got F@ck all to show for all this perceived “strength”.  And the 99% model is Butkus. So lets not go down that road.  

ghandi.jpg.599ff8fdcdc7a607c964be385c68fffb.jpg

52 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Im not thinking Im weak. Its a proven fact, backed by hard data. It is what it is. 

Your opinion is that your feats don't count as strong, but others would disagree, especially strong people that can't do them. Your high standard for being good means there's only a dozen or so people in the world who are strong, and that seems silly. 

Man I don’t mean to bring any venom.. but damn... how do none of you guys find any decent grips?? Is it because you only pick gym bro’s to try? If so you’re picking the wrong guys. No name Gym bros have never been the strong guys so far as I can tell. At anything. They also get their asses stomped when hands start flying.

in all the people I’ve handed my 108# number 2, more than 10 non grip guys who also appeared to have never seen a gym a day in their lives closed it first try, no set!

and I’ve personally seen MORE than that lift the inch DB first try. I’ve elaborate on the first try inch lifters at least a dozen times here on the board, and at least 2 dozen times to other grip guys who seem to think I’m lying every time I bring it up.

i know 2 guys personally under 200lbs who lifted the inch first try without ever having seen one. Tanner and Pete. Neither one of them looked or acted like a gym bro, and neither gave any indications of above average strength before they tried the bell. Basically, just regular looking guys.

so either 1 of two things is happening when these guys you “test” can’t do shit.. you either flat out don’t know how to pick em’, or you’re personality isn’t one that’s good at convincing more people to try.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Man I don’t mean to bring any venom.. but damn... how do none of you guys find any decent grips?? Is it because you only pick gym bro’s to try? If so you’re picking the wrong guys. No name Gym bros have never been the strong guys so far as I can tell. At anything. They also get their asses stomped when hands start flying.

in all the people I’ve handed my 108# number 2, more than 10 non grip guys who also appeared to have never seen a gym a day in their lives closed it first try, no set!

and I’ve personally seen MORE than that lift the inch DB first try. I’ve elaborate on the first try inch lifters at least a dozen times here on the board, and at least 2 dozen times to other grip guys who seem to think I’m lying every time I bring it up.

i know 2 guys personally under 200lbs who lifted the inch first try without ever having seen one. Tanner and Pete. Neither one of them looked or acted like a gym bro, and neither gave any indications of above average strength before they tried the bell. Basically, just regular looking guys.

so either 1 of two things is happening when these guys you “test” can’t do shit.. you either flat out don’t know how to pick em’, or you’re personality isn’t one that’s good at convincing more people to try.

I picked them specifically on their physical appearance.... meaning if they looked gym strong. If you read my post again, you will see the guy that came the closest was a fit wiry guy who worked with his hands. Every guy I asked to try tried it... so don’t know what you are getting at with the not being able to convince people to try it statement... but ok....

46 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Yup I had two nurses (male) at work close the number 2 first try, one of them got 1mm from a 2.5. My dad did the 2 first try and my brother did the 2 and 2.5 first try pretty easily. Those people aside, the average guy I run into can close a 1 but not the 2.....but these are all people from TX 🤠 haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I picked them specifically on their physical appearance.... meaning if they looked gym strong. If you read my post again, you will see the guy that came the closest was a fit wiry guy who worked with his hands. Every guy I asked to try tried it... so don’t know what you are getting at with the not being able to convince people to try it statement... but ok....

Okay let’s skip you’re feelings on the matter.

ill rephrase. How am I the only guy in grip that has found multiple people to close a #2 first try, 1 to close a 2.5 first try, and more than 10 first time inch lifters? When every other grip guy out there alleges it’s impossible to find these people?

am I magical? Extremely lucky? No way... or is it because my approach is not limited to guys I “think” are strong? I try everyone on days I’m out with equipment. Not just douche bags with tank tops.

• Like 1