Scoring Formats

Stephen Anderson

1 minute ago, Eric Roussin said:

What would be the point in training a lift where the top lift won't even be 50 lbs if there are other events that might see lifts of 500? Answer: there would be none.

Exactly what events, in a comp like King Kong, are event like that for example?

2 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

What would be the point in training a lift where the top lift won't even be 50 lbs if there are other events that might see lifts of 500? Answer: there would be none.

I agree, That would heavily favor the thick bar guys cause there best event gets the most weight. 

Percentage based and weight classes is the best way. 

Just now, Tommy J. said:

Exactly what events, in a comp like King Kong, are event like that for example?

And I’ll argue this- if a guy can pull 500 on the axle and I can’t come close, then in no way should tricky scoring make me “look” any better. He’s stronger. Period.

• Like 1

The multiple in King Kong might only be 5x instead of 10x, but if actual weight is all that counts, there wouldn't be much point training the lighter events.

And since no one event contests axle these days besides armlifting, let’s not try to turn another NAGS debate into axle bashing.

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Roussin said:

The multiple in King Kong might only be 5x instead of 10x, but if actual weight is all that counts, there wouldn't be much point training the lighter events.

yes, no point training moontop for example since it would count so little and the difference between first and 100 would be like 30 lbs

1 minute ago, Tommy J. said:

And I’ll argue this- if a guy can pull 500 on the axle and I can’t come close, then in no way should tricky scoring make me “look” any better. He’s stronger. Period.

He's stronger at thick bar and overall body strength, but not necessarily in overall grip strength, if we are to measure various aspects of it (as we tend to do in grip sport).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Roussin said:

To that I say- good! Ditch them.

we do need one scoring system.......put it to a vote to the people who actually compete. 

one scoring system for all sanctioned events. Strongman has one, they don't switch back and forth. 

Just now, Chez said:

we do need one scoring system.......put it to a vote to the people who actually compete. 

Why do we need just one system?

Just now, Eric Roussin said:

Why do we need just one system?

consistency. All organizations do it. 

I don't know any organizations that switches between comps on how they tabulate the results. 

Promoters should have the freedom to choose the scoring system and events featured in their contests. Competitors should have the freedom to choose in which contests they compete.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

yes, no point training moontop for example since it would count so little and the difference between first and 100 would be like 30 lbs

In USAPL the top 100 totals for each class are only apart about this far as well. So what?

not literally... but it’s a similar phenomenon and no one picks any bones.

Edited by Tommy J.

2 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Promoters should have the freedom to choose the scoring system and events featured in their contests. Competitors should have the freedom to choose in which contests they compete.

Events and picking which comp to compete in I agree with. Not the scoring. I don’t know any organization that does that. You said yourself arm lifting picks one....right now I can’t think of another that allows more than one 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

The more people that compete, the more likely people are to see their names on like a number 50-60-or even a #100 spot. Such is a side effect of the “growth” everyone wants so bad. 🤷🏼‍♂️

We can go back and forth for ever. I doubt we changing each other’s minds. I haven’t heard anything convincing swaying me though 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Btw Stephen, I’m getting jealous over here.. it’s not often I meet my match with someone able to start a thread that has the place scurrying. 😂

• Haha 2

@Stephen Anderson be honest, something happened to make you bring this up lol 

did you compete in a reverse strongman comp?

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

We can go back and forth for ever. I doubt we changing each other’s minds. I haven’t heard anything convincing swaying me though 

I mean I’m in full agreement with you... pick a system and stick to it.

Only added my thoughts because I’ve been itching to speak on that exact scoring scenario for some time. The day I host a comp, total is what will win. .....since promoters can do whatever they want. 😁

• Haha 1

Just now, Tommy J. said:

I mean I’m in full agreement with you... pick a system and stick to it.

Only added my thoughts because I’ve been itching to speak on that exact scoring scenario for some time. The day I host a comp, total is what will win. .....since promoters can do whatever they want. 😁

Exactly lol. I plan on making a comp and covering up the scoring system till last second haha 

• Haha 1

Just now, Tommy J. said:

😂

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Chez said:

@Stephen Anderson be honest, something happened to make you bring this up lol 

did you compete in a reverse strongman comp?

I have but i just thought it would make good discussion...