Scoring Formats

Stephen Anderson

Since we are on such controversial topics here lately. What’s everybody’s opinion on the scoring in group sport? Good the way it is or could improve?

4 minutes ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Since we are on such controversial topics here lately. What’s everybody’s opinion on the scoring in group sport? Good the way it is or could improve?

In regards to reverse strongman? Not a fan. I do not care from reverse strongman scoring at all. 

4 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

In regards to reverse strongman? Not a fan. I do not care from reverse strongman scoring at all. 

What do you think could be a better option?

We only use reverse strongman for big multi venue comps like King Kong and I don’t like it either.The standard scoring for grip is percentage based and I think it’s the best. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stephen Anderson said:

What do you think could be a better option?

Something that better represents the actual person that wins better. Meaning one can seem to be winning by quite a few things and then out of nowhere the one who appears to have been way behind pulls out and beats the guy by a fraction of a point. That seems to happen often. I don’t know what a better way would be, though. A scoring system that more  represents if you win the most events you win.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

We only use reverse strongman for big multi venue comps like King Kong and I don’t like it either.The standard scoring for grip is percentage based and I think it’s the best. 

I’ve been to a lot of comps that used reverse strongman. Not just KK...

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Which ones cause I have been to more comps than you and it’s usually only used for multi venue ones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Although you have been to the Canadian ones and I know Eric uses it so that is an exception 

• Like 1

If you go to the Gripsport.org percentage based is even listed as the standard scoring for nags in the USA

http://gripsport.org

• Like 1

Percentage-based scoring is the most commonly used format but I use reverse strongman scoring for many of my contests. David Horne does as well.

Percentage-based motivates competitors to lift as much weight as they can in each event. But it’s not great for scoring medleys and timed events. In a four event contest, one competitor might be better than another in three events, but if the other competitor is MUCH better in the fourth event, he can win the contest. 

Reverse strongman can be applied to all events, and I like the strategy that comes into play in knowing when to conserve energy. 

• Like 5

Just now, Eric Roussin said:

Percentage-based scoring is the most commonly used format but I use reverse strongman scoring for many of my contests. David Horne does as well.

Percentage-based motivates competitors to lift as much weight as they can in each event. But it’s not great for scoring medleys and timed events. In a four event contest, one competitor might be better than another in three events, but if the other competitor is MUCH better in the fourth event, he can win the contest. 

Reverse strongman can be applied to all events, and I like the strategy that comes into play in knowing when to conserve energy. 

Yep. And this why you have been to several joe I know you travel to the Canadian comps but it isn’t common in single venue USA comps 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Although you have been to the Canadian ones and I know Eric uses it so that is an exception 

I’ve done like 10 or 12 in 2 years time. I know the Canadian ones had them. Been to about 4 of those.

The beauty about hosting a contest is that you get to choose the scoring format. GSI is not prescriptive on this front.

Note that this year’s NAGS Championships will feature percentage-based scoring.

• Like 2

Also unsanctioned comps might use strongman since it’s a common method for strength comps and easy for scoring. But not nags sanctioned ones in the USA

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Is this how armlifting usa does their scoring as well?

6 minutes ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Is this how armlifting usa does their scoring as well?

Armlifting USA now uses percentage-based scoring. It used to use strongman scoring.

• Thanks 1

Advantages to both.  I like percentages just because you can't slack off in an event and we get to see people's best.   And yes I have won 4 events out of 5 and gotten beat.  I would not let the manner of scoring keep me from competing either way. 

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Reverse strongman reminds me more of the “everyone has a chance to win” system.

How so?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

How so?

Seems like someone is winning by a lot and then all of a sudden someone can come out of nowhere and win by a fraction of a point. Like anyone can win at any time. At least that’s how it’s appeared.

If someone is winning by a lot after three events and then another competitor comes along and wins the fourth event by half a pound, he will not win the contest.

I feel reverse strongman rewards balanced grip strength more than percentage-based scoring (i.e. you can’t just be really good in one event and mediocre in the others).

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

If someone is winning by a lot after three events and then another competitor comes along and wins the fourth event by half a pound, he will not win the contest.

I feel reverse strongman rewards balanced grip strength more than percentage-based scoring (i.e. you can’t just be really good in one event and mediocre in the others).

Maybe I have it “reversed”... see what I did there? I have no idea what I’m saying in this... I’m out. Going to the beach.....

Reverse strongman can help you beat someone who was better all around. I have seen it and it has even benefited me. You beat someone 3/4 events and still lose if that person beats you on a 4th event even if it’s not by much weight if the scores are jam packed giving you tons of points for that one event. Percentage based is based on a 10 point scale so one event can’t do as much damage while big multi venue comps with over a 100 competitors one event can be huge and lots of points awarded even if the amount lifted isn’t much different if the lifts are closely bunched. 

Percentage is best on a 10 point scale to minimize the impact of one event. With 200 competitors you can really get screwed on one event with reverse strongman 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Deleted - wrong post 

Edited by Chez
Wrong post

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Reverse strongman can help you beat someone who was better all around. I have seen it and it has even benefited me. You beat someone 3/4 events and still lose if that person beats you on a 4th event even if it’s not by much weight if the scores are jam packed giving you tons of points for that one event. Percentage based is based on a 10 point scale so one event can’t do as much damage while big multi venue comps with over a 100 competitors one event can be huge and lots of points awarded even if the amount lifted isn’t much different if the lifts are closely bunched. 

Percentage is best on a 10 point scale to minimize the impact of one event. With 200 competitors you can really get screwed on one event with reverse strongman 

I agree there are some limitations to reverse strongman, and they may be more amplified in a large multi-venue contest.

I think generally you’ll find that the cream rises to the top, regardless of the scoring method that is used.

I don’t quite see how using a 10 point, 100 point, or 1000 point scale would make a difference in percentage-based scoring. The same percentage would net out no matter which scale is used.

• Like 3