Thoughts on T&G deadlift?

Tommy J.

For the big dead lifters out there, what are you’re thoughts on T&G reps vs full stop from the floor reps? Which is more beneficial? Or is it just a bragging right thing?

I tried to make sense of which one is better on my own based off just watching what others do. But can’t seem to come to any definitive conclusions on which is best.

the easiest examples I could pull from for sort of a no frills answer was to just watch what monster dead lifters do and compare their estimated max. 

Here is Rauno with a monster T&G set on 340k (750lbs)

And then here is Thor with his usual off the charts reps at 432kg (952lbs)

Both are from about a year ago. I understand that the weight and reps are not the same. Only using as examples of how they both usually do reps.

right now I think Thor is obviously stronger than Rauno on the DL. But Rauno is no slouch! But does this mean that full stop reps are better than T&G? Or is this maybe a flawed and oversimplified comparison?

edit: both guys reps above indicate about a 997-998 DL at the time. Obviously Thor is using a flexy bar compared to Rauno. But that aside, I sort of felt like it was on point to compare the reps in these two vids

Edited by Tommy J.

I mean could you technically say the T&G reps are more constant time under tension? Than getting somewhat of a break between reps by letting the weight come to full rest?

I’m prolly splitting hairs here. But for real I’d like to know what others think. Why do T&G reps get flack?

T&G are easier.  Dead stops are harder. You are also jarring the body slamming onto the floor and can be more riskier for injury.   Technique is not the same as a dead stop reset. The few seconds is not a significant rest to reset properly.  Just my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the answer depends on what part of the lift you are trying to strengthen.  I really liked TnG deads and I think they helped me get my pull from 500 to 600.  They let you hit the middle and lockout portions of the lift with more weight than if you do dead stop reps.  They also let you do more reps with higher weight.  But they don't do anythig for the beginning of the DL.  Dead stop reps, dead stop reps from a slight deficit, and dead stopped paused reps work the first 6" of the DL way better than TnG. 

I think the best course of action is to use both.  If you are weak off the floor, I would use more dead stop and if you are weak at the knees or above then more TnG.  They are both effective tools.  Bill brings up a good point thugh, you have to be really careful that you are staying tight and using good form during TnGs.  It is really easy to lose concentration and let your lower back round; especially when you get fatigued. 

I will say that it was extremely rare that I ever pulled a max weight that I couldn't double TnG.  The only time I failed was at 600 and I think that was mental.

• Thanks 1

I came up doing tng deads and did them a lot. As I got older I stopped though due to exactly what Bill stated.  The jarring effect when you hit the ground and the risk of injury as you get on in reps and form tends to break down but due to the stretch and bounce effect,  you can keep going.

Dead stop drills in your set up and keeping tight before each pull and I consider them much harder.

On most tng sets the 2nd and third reps can feel easier than the first due to your Cns firing on all cylinders and the bounce effect. 

• Thanks 1

I like them for when I’m going lighter and am just trying to get in a back pump. But I suck most directly off the floor so they don’t do much for me in terms of increasing my max.

• Thanks 1

I don't really call any exercise good or bad, continually I'm finding out those categories don't really exist. I do think t&g is missing the valuable strength effect you can get from a controlled eccentric load which is very helpful for the deadlift in particular. I think it's fine to do it during warm ups as long as you are past the initial point of first learning the mechanics of a hip hinge and your form isn't ugly. A lot of people have a sticking point off the floor and avoiding that portion is just going to increase your weaknesses and risk of injury. Slow deficits are the way to go as long as the mobility is present. 

• Thanks 1

I am certainly not a big deadlifter but I have coached a lot of lifters over the last decade. I rarely see anyone going t&g with a solid back set-up. I think that the chance of injury is much higher. If I wanted to focus on training the upper part of the movement (mid range or lockout) I would prefer to use rack lockouts.

One other note: Much like Mr. Milfeld, when I was chasing 600, I did the majority of my lifting in a 2nd floor bedroom in our condo.  There was no slamming down between touch n go reps.  A fairly controlled tap and back up.  No bounce.  You still get the stretch reflex help, but you are not jarring the crap out of your body.  Setting the bar down in a controlled manner after every pull, whether tng, or dead stop, or singles also helped build strength and avoid injury I believe. 

Below is with a trap bar, but you can get the idea.  Gentle touches to stay married.  You'll notice the calf sleeve.  This was two weeks after tearing off half of the outer head of my right calf doing a farmers walk in a contest.  Hey, I was chasing 600.  Lol

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 3