Strongest State in North America

Stephen Anderson

17 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

LOL!

OK, I assumed that I was AT LEAST average for a man.  Maybe not far above, as I'm not big or athletic, but in my life I have met enough guys to know I am not a weakling at least relative to the guys I have met.  But there is NO WAY I could EVER bench 315 free weights with ANY amount of work, or anywhere near it.  I have never even managed to get 200 up in free weights, although close enough that I admit I could go over that if I worked at it, and 250 is about my limit on a machine.  But 315 is way beyond my body's ability.  I would much sooner agree that closing a 3 is average!

I think a lot of you guys are used to hanging around strong folk, gym rats, people who are selected from an above-average group, and then you feel average when you really are not.

Anyway, if I am a weakling, I am a weakling, oh well.  But I must be around a lot of weaklings all the time then.

I promise you that you could do 315 in less than 5 years if it was a goal. So could I, and I'm weaker than you are. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

LOL!

OK, I assumed that I was AT LEAST average for a man.  Maybe not far above, as I'm not big or athletic, but in my life I have met enough guys to know I am not a weakling at least relative to the guys I have met.  But there is NO WAY I could EVER bench 315 free weights with ANY amount of work, or anywhere near it.  I have never even managed to get 200 up in free weights, although close enough that I admit I could go over that if I worked at it, and 250 is about my limit on a machine.  But 315 is way beyond my body's ability.  I would much sooner agree that closing a 3 is average!

I think a lot of you guys are used to hanging around strong folk, gym rats, people who are selected from an above-average group, and then you feel average when you really are not.

Anyway, if I am a weakling, I am a weakling, oh well.  But I must be around a lot of weaklings all the time then.

The fact that you didn’t know a 3 plate bench is 315 says a lot about how much you have trained for it 😜. Just kidding buddy, I know you aren’t into weight lifting and have spent very little time with it. I just found that funny.

Edited by Chez

1 hour ago, Goran Paulinič said:

And you smashed mm0? There must be something wrong. I think you belong among most healthy males.

That was a fluke. You see me asking for mm1+ ? 

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

LOL!

Hey vin are you going to be going for the MM2 soon?

There is no such thing as an "average" man in any strength sport.  Especially grip.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, climber511 said:

There is no such thing as an "average" man in any strength sport.  Especially grip.  

There is an average man everywhere in strength sport. Look at me. My absolute max with bench would be 315 for sure.
Look at my sorry ass doing 120 kg bench after a year and a half trainning...

Edited by Goran Paulinič

With 117 kg bench I was still below average for my weight cat. in powerlifting (-100 kg). It is category III lift and category II lift is average. I know I could go to cat. II if I have trained on but injury stopped me.

That is some real talk from completely average man. Now you know. This is for all average and below average men out there. Pray himns to monsters but don't be ashamed. Even average can beat monster if monster is weak or out of gas. 😈

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

It depends on your weight. For people under 165 lbs 315 bench is a master and elite lift. So I wouldn't agree that any healthy man can lift 315 after optimal trainning history. Very few people can do in categories under 165 lbs and even in 220 category it is still an average lift (so anybody can't do it). 315 bench is no joke. Only genius strength can do it without specific trainning. See file...

2011-Male-Lifter-Classification-Standards(2).pdf

The average man (or any other for that matter) has no idea of what he might ultimately be capable of.  A few years at Westside Barbell for example would make any of us wonder what the heck we were thinking with the limits we had placed on ourselves.  We only know what we have done - not what we might be able to do with a completely different lifestyle.  Not talking about drugs here.  Most of us on here are just regular guys who lift some weights - not serious strength athletes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do agree with Chris that for weight lifting, body weight and size need to be taken into account since it’s much more body weight dependent than grip and we have a lot of data for weight lifting

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Goran Paulinič said:

It depends on your weight. For people under 165 lbs 315 bench is a master and elite lift. So I wouldn't agree that any healthy man can lift 315 after optimal trainning history. Very few people can do in categories under 165 lbs and even in 220 category it is still an average lift (so anybody can't do it). 315 bench is no joke. Only genius strength can do it without specific trainning. See file...

2011-Male-Lifter-Classification-Standards(2).pdf 141.73 kB · 0 downloads

You're a garbage man? Have you seen the movie dirty work with Charlie sheen and Emilio estevez? Hilarious movie.

53 minutes ago, king crusher said:

You're a garbage man? Have you seen the movie dirty work with Charlie sheen and Emilio estevez? Hilarious movie.

What a shame! Someone threw away a perfectly good white boy! 🤣🤣🤣

56 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Also.... best comment of the day, hands down! 

4 hours ago, Climber028 said:

I promise you that you could do 315 in less than 5 years if it was a goal. So could I, and I'm weaker than you are. 

Sorry man, that is not the case for most people. It's been a goal, and I still haven't gotten it after 10 years - never mind 5. And I'm confident I'm not below average when it comes to genetics. I think you've seen some of the other lifts/feats I can do, so you know I'm capable of training intelligently as well.

10 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

Sorry man, that is not the case for most people. It's been a goal, and I still haven't gotten it after 10 years - never mind 5. And I'm confident I'm not below average when it comes to genetics. I think you've seen some of the other lifts/feats I can do, so you know I'm capable of training intelligently as well.

I agree with Dave. Dave is JACKED and very gifted in the athletic department . This arbitrary fantasy that everyone says 315 is attainable for all is healthy males is just not true. 315 for a natural lifter is a great lift. It’s attainable for many, but not for all, especially those not built for benching. 

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

Then it sounds like you need to get super fat and then do it. I just think it's possible, not that whatever it takes is a good idea. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

How much ya weigh?

Then how much ya bench?

Bodyweight plays a huge part in how much someone can bench.  The average Murican male walks around at 5'10" 190 lbs of jelly.  For that guy, Mr. Average, if they really dedicated themselves for 5 years of good training and eating like a horse, 50% should be able to attain 315.  The more you weigh above that, the higher that percentage is.  The more you weigh below that, the lower that percentage is. Other factors play a part obviously (leverages, genetics), but the above is what people are saying when they say the average guy should be able to get 315.  

I think the number is probably closer to 300, but we can argue over the exact number for years.  

I'm not a tiny man and it took me years and finally a custom program from @1stCoC to get to 300.  Once I got the right coaching, it was fairly quick though.  So maybe if you went and hired Josh Bryant or Louis Simmons to coach you, you could get there in short order, which would mean that, while extremely difficult, it was possible. You aren't a super large guy Dave, so that makes it that much harder for you.  

I do think a #3 gripper mms is easier for the average guy to close than 3 wheels is to bench.

• Like 3

When I stopped. I averaged a body weight of 2.5 baby elephants. And benched a 1rm of 335

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, KapMan said:

When I stopped. I averaged a body weight of 2.5 baby elephants. And benched a 1rm of 335

Hhahahah

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cannon said:

Yes. And No.  I use a Trainer every workout. In an interview, I believe either Dave Morton or Heath Sexton said the Trainer is by far their most-used gripper, critical to warming up and active recovery. 

I have found from running CPW grip booths that pretty much any average healthy guy can close a #1 once you show them how to hold the gripper. If they don't close it, it is almost always because they did not listen and their form is super bad. 

I used a Trainer constantly, either warmups or for recovery.  Mine finally broke, it was a sad day.  It’s untelling how many reps that dude had absorbed. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bearcat 74 said:

I used a Trainer constantly, either warmups or for recovery.  Mine finally broke, it was a sad day.  It’s untelling how many reps that dude had absorbed. 

Im going to start using mine for recovery! I tried it out tonight. Felt really good getting some blood flowing through the arms!

It took me about 3.5-4yrs to hit 315 and I was about 235lbs and 21yrs old then. So I've been able to do it for over 20yrs now except for about 6mo when I cut all the way to 180lbs just because i wanted to try. Now I'm 202 and 315 would be about a max right now. I'm certainly not built for the bench but I've been consistent for 24yrs so that has to count for something ha

• Like 3