Heaviest Sledgehammer pronation

Climber028

Does anybody know what the record is for this lift? I have seen 8 or 9lbs in person, seems like higher than that is doable. Ryan Bowen recently had a video up and in a quick discussion about Dave Chaffee he mentioned that he could do pronations with a 25lb hammer with a full sized hammer, this sounds impossible to me but wondering if anybody else can verify this claim, or if it's even plausible. 

I had a 9.4# hammer (that's head weight - not total scale weight) - (31" Handle) in the Gripmas Medley several times.  Several people managed it - and several of the better Grip guys missed it - this was in a Medley setting - not a stand alone event where we went for a max weight.  My personal best is a 10.0# sledge (that's head weight - not total scale weight).  25# ? I have not personally even seen a 25# hammer - is this an adjustable?  I think I will need more information before accepting this.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

That makes sense, I would easily believe people can get low teens, but 25 sounds out of the realm of what's possible. 

Problem with this exercise is that so many people are cheating. So it's hard to believe anything without any video evidence. A 25 lbs sledge might be doable, it totally depends on how strict the lift is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Problem with this exercise is that so many people are cheating. So it's hard to believe anything without any video evidence. A 25 lbs sledge might be doable, it totally depends on how strict the lift is.

That's a really good point, I didn't even consider that they may have an entirely different definition for hammer pronations that's easier than what we would do in gripsport. 

Did he specify that he was doing the pronations from the ground? I would believe that he trains pronations and supinations with a 25lb hammer, choked way up on the handle, but if the implication is that he is pronating 25lbs with a 30"+ handle, from the ground, I don't believe that for a second.

• Like 1

9.4# x 31" handle = 291 inch pounds.  And many more good grip guys missed this than made it.

25# x 31" handle = 775 inch pounds .  That's a HUGE difference.

Many hammers have 32.5" handles which would give 812.5 inch pounds.

I have to assume he is talking about a lift done differently than what we grip people are doing with the arm on the ground.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Did he specify that he was doing the pronations from the ground? I would believe that he trains pronations and supinations with a 25lb hammer, choked way up on the handle, but if the implication is that he is pronating 25lbs with a 30"+ handle, from the ground, I don't believe that for a second.

Came from this video 

At 19:55 it starts. Just that Ryan can do an 8 and Dave did a 25, then they explicitly say a full size hammer. Maybe they start vertical and just do a small negative before bringing it back up? Not sure really. 

He seems to be alluding to only doing it in one direction?  In what would be an arm wrestlers strong direction???