Closing a #4

Stephen Anderson

I'd say the herd thins out pretty significantly around 170-175 for MMS. From experience I guess I'd put elite MMS at 175+ or GHP8/CoC#3.5 territory.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Stephen Anderson said:

So what would be considered an “elite” RGC rating for MMS close?

200 lbs for MMS. In competition while doing other stuff a bit lower. Around 180 with 20 mm block.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

I'd say the herd thins out pretty significantly around 170-175 for MMS. From experience I guess I'd put elite MMS at 175+ or GHP8/CoC#3.5 territory.

I think this is the number the casual gripper users start to fall off, it takes dedication to the craft for most to keep moving up. 

From my own personal experience I have never been more than a casual trainer with grip, when I get a wild hair to do something I'll dabble for a bit then get bored. I've been doing that with grip since 2003. So for me, I got to a hair away from my MM3 replica which is 172. And closed my 166 elite plenty. So I'd guess 170 is as far as I will ever go unless I really dedicated myself to go up.

Some freaks, that level could be 180-190. And some people it will be a lot less. Just depends on the person.

• Like 2

The real rare air starts at 200 lbs for mms. For me personally, I got to 180 fairly quick on a regular training plan. I had to start working harder to progress after that. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Chez said:

The real rare air starts at 200 lbs for mms. For me personally, I got to 180 fairly quick on a regular well thought out training plan. I had to start working harder to progress after that. 

Im pretty close to 193 right now

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Im pretty close to 193 right now

That’s awesome man. Race is still on haha. Keep up the great work and ignore the negative gripper comments you will constantly see on this board. All that matter is you enjoy the training 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate that! Thanks for all the input and advice!

Agreed Chez.

Stephen you have a gift with the crush. Ride it till the wheels fall off. Regardless of how unpopular grippers have become in this sport. There are guys who train for years specifically on grippers and never see 190. I see you going easily to MM5-MM6, a #4 close, soon and possibly even a 3.5 cert without too much fuss. Who knows what 2-3 years could bring?

also am in the same boat as Chez with grippers. Accept being lazy and not knowing how to program or get serious. I didn’t go into the 190’s. Got to 188 MMS fairly quick, did the #3 fairly quick, then just sort of did jack despite having plenty of rated grippers to climb with and the knowledge at my finger tips to go further. Obviously the gripper power is only a couple months away from getting there again... but all I care to do is bench.. 😝 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2020 at 3:51 AM, Tommy J. said:

Agreed Chez.

Stephen you have a gift with the crush. Ride it till the wheels fall off. Regardless of how unpopular grippers have become in this sport. There are guys who train for years specifically on grippers and never see 190. I see you going easily to MM5-MM6, a #4 close, soon and possibly even a 3.5 cert without too much fuss. Who knows what 2-3 years could bring?

also am in the same boat as Chez with grippers. Accept being lazy and not knowing how to program or get serious. I didn’t go into the 190’s. Got to 188 MMS fairly quick, did the #3 fairly quick, then just sort of did jack despite having plenty of rated grippers to climb with and the knowledge at my finger tips to go further. Obviously the gripper power is only a couple months away from getting there again... but all I care to do is bench.. 😝 

I hear you! I appreciate you passing along grippers to guys moving up the ranks as well!

Edited by Stephen Anderson
A
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 3:51 AM, Tommy J. said:

Agreed Chez.

Tommy must be drinking because Tommy is dead center target on that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You ride her till she bucks you or you don't ride her at all. All I know is that I be closing a #4 soon. I destroyed my 190 MM5 for 3 dominating singles with over crushes today. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

You ride her till she bucks you or you don't ride her at all. All I know is that I be closing a #4 soon. I destroyed my 190 MM5 for 3 dominating singles with over crushes today. 

Great stuff brother looking very strong!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Great stuff brother looking very strong!!

Thanks dude. Let’s kill it this year. Not many of us gripper nuts left on the board 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

Thanks dude. Let’s kill it this year. Not many of us gripper nuts left on the board 

I got a few grippers im going to give a try next week!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chez said:

Well done. You clearly told him don't stop until you tell him to, yet he goes with what he thinks is right LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Well done. You clearly told him don't stop until you tell him to, yet he goes with what he thinks is right LOL.

Lol. Ya, He’s not a grip guy. Haha 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 4:19 PM, PronatorKyle said:

Just check David shamey out, world class strongman and arm-wrestler.  it entirely depends what they set their focus too... same as anyone else.

Other than grippers, I don't have elite achievements)

My level is high enough to be among the top ten strongmen in Russia, but when it comes to the world, I am too weak)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2020 at 9:07 PM, SeNoLD said:

Other than grippers, I don't have elite achievements)

My level is high enough to be among the top ten strongmen in Russia, but when it comes to the world, I am too weak)

Not for long, Being a harsh self critic is what created champions 💪

On 2/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, Chez said:

Others that come to mind but weren’t born in the USA:

Juha 

Morgan - he lives in the USA now but I’m not sure he was born there 

Igor 

From the USA:

Paul Knight - hasn’t competed regularly in years 

Aaron Corcoran - Aaron still competes

guys from the past:

Dave Morton

Heath sexton

tommy heslep

Tim struse

I was born in Virginia but nobody gives a damn about it. People always ask me “Where are you from?” so I just say I am from Korea. Then they will ask “South or North?” Never ends...

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, Chez said:

Others that come to mind but weren’t born in the USA:

Juha 

Morgan - he lives in the USA now but I’m not sure he was born there 

Igor 

From the USA:

Paul Knight - hasn’t competed regularly in years 

Aaron Corcoran - Aaron still competes

guys from the past:

Dave Morton

Heath sexton

tommy heslep

Tim struse

I was born in Virginia but nobody gives a damn about it. People always ask me “Where are you from?” so I just say I am from Korea. Then they will ask “South or North?” Never ends...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1