Double bars?

Fist of Fury

So I'm thinking of trying to tape some bars together to see if I can bridge any gaps. Not sure which bars to use. My question is, let's say I use one bar calibrated to 100 kg and one to 50 kg. How will that compare to a single bar at 150 kg? I believe the double bars will be harder because you actually have to bend two bars and not just one. I really don't know if my assumption is correct tho since I suck at physics.

So how is it?

• Like 1

Double bar will be more stronger than single 150kg. In calibrator you will see 150kg (Machine pulls the bar out of the middle), but for people diameter is great importance (Force is directed from the edges of bar to the center).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kirill_Shuhovtsev said:

Double bar will be more stronger than single 150kg. In calibrator you will see 150kg (Machine pulls the bar out of the middle), but for people diameter is great importance (Force is directed from the edges of bar to the center).

That's what I tought. Do you have any approximation of how much more difficult it is? I'm trying to find out which bars to order. I would like to have something to bridge the gap between grade 5 and grade 8 bolts.

16 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Seems like a good way to increase your chance of Injury.  Never seen anyone try it.

I don't think it's uncommon. Both David Horne and Steve McGranahan does it/has done it.

• Like 2

I’m very new to bending (last summer) so my experience isn’t that great. I had been buying 1/4” x 6” grade 2 bolts.

They just became way too easy and I struggled to find something really hard that I could bend. Everything I would try was really hard but I couldn’t bend it. 

Bought some 3/16” CRS, put it together with the grade 2 and bingo, just what I needed. Really hard but doable. Done double underhand with FBBC suede. 

Haven’t bent in like 3 weeks but that’s another story. 

Next goal is 1/4” x 5” grade 2 with 3/16” CRS DUH. 

Edited by FrankSobotka

24 minutes ago, FrankSobotka said:

I’m very new to bending (last summer) so my experience isn’t that great. I had been buying 1/4” x 6” grade 2 bolts.

They just became way too easy and I struggled to find something really hard that I could bend. Everything I would try was really hard but I couldn’t bend it. 

Bought some 3/16” CRS, put it together with the grade 2 and bingo, just what I needed. Really hard but doable. Done double underhand with FBBC suede. 

Haven’t bent in like 3 weeks but that’s another story. 

Next goal is 1/4” x 5” grade 2 with 3/16” CRS DUH. 

This is the biggest problem with bending. Very difficult to find the right steel to train with (maybe not in the USA but definitely here). Even harder than finding grippers in the right range. I guess you could use less wrapping, however I think that is definitely risky and I try to stay away from doing that, atleast on steel that is difficult for me to bend in single wraps.

I've done two 1/4×6 g2s together, was a bit weird.

As far as stuff to bend,what about 60d nails? They have a wide range of difficulty, and are cheaper than bolts. So hit a couple hardware stores, bend some in the parking lot, and grab a bunch if you find some you like.

47 minutes ago, wobbler said:

I've done two 1/4×6 g2s together, was a bit weird.

As far as stuff to bend,what about 60d nails? They have a wide range of difficulty, and are cheaper than bolts. So hit a couple hardware stores, bend some in the parking lot, and grab a bunch if you find some you like.

It doesn't work like that in the country I live in unfortunately.

I might just buy harder steel and buy some light steel, then warmup with the light for volume and then try some challenge bars.