Your Most Treasured Gripper

Cannon

The GHP9 I bought in 2017 was rated by myself. 2019 rating RGC.

IMG_20200212_000524.jpg

IMG_20200212_000514.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cheng liu said:

This is my 2013 grip HG350 pounds, and I just tested RGC176 last year, which is the first grip I bought in my life and there was also an HG200

IMG_20200212_000211.jpg

IMG_20200212_000202.jpg

I like that golden spring. Could I ask which is the distance between the handles (in mm)?

• Like 1

Sold all of them :D

Only gripper I had a grudge against was my first RB gripper. Could never close it, bought it to bridge the gap between the #2 and #2.5. When I rated it years later it came out at 137 lbs :laugh and by that time I could already close it.
It was a fun gripper because it was quite far from the norm for that gripper model.

I don't have any grippers that I like more than others. All grippers I have now are grippers I think is good to train with. The most valuable I have now (for training) is a Tetting Elite spring which I use with old style Silvis T-Rex handles which has smooth knurling. It's usable in the range of 145-180, which is nice.

• Like 1

As an honorable mention I'd like to include my Left Turn COC #2. I didn't like the distance between the handles and the torsion spring's center, which initially was 3mm on the fixed leg and 4 in mobile leg. I decided to cut both spring's legs at about 2mm, being the new distance 1 and 2 mm respectively.

It feels a couple of pounds heavier when I close it. Just to give you a reference. Before cutting the legs I could close it about 13 times using a parallel setting. Today I just can close it at most 7 times in a good day using the same setting method.

LEFT_COC_2_FRONT.jpg

LEFT COC BELOW.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Cool thread.

Currently, my favorite gripper is my CoC Trainer, the first gripper I ever purchased. I tried closing it on Day 1 when it arrived in the mail, and couldn't, which was surprising (and not in a good way). 2-3 training sessions later I was able to easily close it for reps. Now, it is my gripper of choice for warm-up and easy volume reps, and it feels incredible in the hand. Just enough resistance to work the muscles, tendons, and blood flow, while not requiring a lot of strength to close.

My collection is beginning to grow now, with many grippers arriving from CPW this week. I'm excited to give a more nuanced and personal answer to this question in the short and long-term future, as my collection and training experience grows.

• Like 4

Since my response 2 years ago above, I have sold my RB rated 147 (maybe in a batch I sold to Cannon, not even sure!).  My current faves:  My COC  cert gripper (only 142! phew), and a COC 3 rated 147 that Michael Thomas gave me.  That gripper was the one that got me to the cert (my cert application video and also just one I worked with a lot).

I also have a Tetting rated 140 and a COC 3.5 rated 165 - only 3.5 I ever closed (MMS of course, no CCS there lol).

I'd love to try Michael's GHP 8 rated 161 someday - when I first saw that post, I thought I'd never close 161.  Now I probably can, although not with the GHP block.  Not yet.

Fun thread!

• Like 5

I've sold most of my grippers. I've had 98 grippers in total I think (or more). I counted a few months ago.

My favourite was a FBBC X4 with steel handles, rated 158 lbs. It had an 80 mm spread, great knurling and a really smooth and even feel in the entire ROM. I really regret selling it. It was by far the nicest torsion spring gripper I've tried.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any pics of it. I do have some videos of it. I will see if I can find one later.

• Like 1

My Vulcan V2. After years of no progress with COCs… partly user error of over training. 

but the Vulcan, feels better and my hands don’t get as achy after. I like it so much I bought a 2nd… if a 3rd ever comes available and it’s cheap enough, I’ll get it. Just for the spring alone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

My Vulcan V2. After years of no progress with COCs… partly user error of over training. 

but the Vulcan, feels better and my hands don’t get as achy after. I like it so much I bought a 2nd… if a 3rd ever comes available and it’s cheap enough, I’ll get it. Just for the spring alone.

Best thing with vulcan is that it trains both your hands the same way.

• Like 1

This is the gripper I regret selling, really wish I still had it. Really liked the feel of it. For some reason it felt better than any other gripper I've had. Good knurling but not to aggressive, nice wide sweep no retarded ramp up at the end. Just hard like a TSG should be.

Also looked really cool with the FBBC logo engraved.

image.thumb.jpeg.c514854c656468eb34cc55707f449e58.jpeg

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Best thing with vulcan is that it trains both your hands the same way.

I think that’s part of my issue. I’m a lefty and they are made for righty’s. Still not a good enough excuse or a reason to not use them. 

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I think that’s part of my issue. I’m a lefty and they are made for righty’s. Still not a good enough excuse or a reason to not use them. 

I'm left handed as well, although I'm stronger in my right side of my entire body (more muscle mass).

First time I tried the left-turn #3 I closed it easily with my left hand but still couldn't close it with my right despite closing much harder grippers with right at the time.

This is my favorite batch

a steel handled reverse wound #1 from way back, Silver Crush T, 1, 2, 3, a pair of Silver Elites

Roark gave me the T and 1, Pat gave me the 2 and 3, 3Crusher gave me the Silver Elite, I think I got the reverse wind #1 and the other Elite from Slazbob in some sort of trade.   I think of great friends every time I look at the set hanging on the wall.

I closed them all once and hung them up.

BA1BFB25-29E7-44A9-9CA1-D643704B75B2.jpeg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Bearcat 74 said:

a steel handled reverse wound #1 from way back, Silver Crush T, 1, 2, 3, a pair of Silver Elites

Roark gave me the T and 1, Pat gave me the 2 and 3, 3Crusher gave me the Silver Elite, I think I got the reverse wind #1 and the other Elite from Slazbob in some sort of trade.   I think of great friends every time I look at the set hanging on the wall.

As soon as you mentioned that gripper I remembered that. Who knew it would be so rare. Ha. The oldest gripper I own now is a no.3 from when they switched from the silver crush. 
nice collection!

8 hours ago, slazbob said:

As soon as you mentioned that gripper I remembered that. Who knew it would be so rare. Ha. The oldest gripper I own now is a no.3 from when they switched from the silver crush. 
nice collection!

I was told there were 11 of the reverse steel #1’s made and most of them are not in circulation.   I can’t remember who told me that and I don’t know if it is true or not.   I do know you don’t hear much about them.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bearcat 74 said:

I was told there were 11 of the reverse steel #1’s made and most of them are not in circulation.   I can’t remember who told me that and I don’t know if it is true or not.   I do know you don’t hear much about them.

Interesting…you never see them so that makes sense. My only regret is I didn’t buy a steel no.4 

12 hours ago, Bearcat 74 said:

Damn, I wish I had discovered grip sooner.  I was around, and would have loved it (as I do now), but just had no idea even to look for it and no web to throw it in my face and make me.  Glad I arrived at the party eventually, but too bad I missed all this past history.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

As you all know I'm not a "gripper guy" - grippers are tools - it would be like having a favorite weight plate.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

As you all know I'm not a "gripper guy" - grippers are tools - it would be like having a favorite weight plate.  

If you weren't an old man, not to mention an old man who could kick the crap outta me, I'd slug you for that blasphemy.  But also it was pretty funny and made your (still totally incorrect) point perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

If you weren't an old man, not to mention an old man who could kick the crap outta me, I'd slug you for that blasphemy.  But also it was pretty funny and made your (still totally incorrect) point perfectly.

LOL 

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

I feel the same way. That's also one of the reasons I've sold most of my grippers. However I miss some of them still. I also miss the Eleiko PL plates I had :) 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I technically have 2 favorite grippers. Neither are outstandingly strong or anything like that, but they mean a lot. The first one is an offbrand gripper from Amazon. It appeared to be from a random Chinese company and claims to be rated 150lbs. My best guess as to its true rating is closer to a C.O.C. Guide or trainer and it was the first metal gripper I ever got. The paint is very clearly worn by now because of extended use and me taking it everywhere I went. For how long I've had it, it's either getting weaker or my strength is improving. The ring of someone I love wore for a while, is stuck at the end of the handle. It's black just like the gripper, but is tungste-carbine. It was kind of Like a promise ring for me and the person who wore it. But now me and that person are no longer together, so it's more of permanent reminder of my mistakes and what to learn from them. I'll always cherish it and never get rid of it. 

16506863420887666132819655042762.jpg

• Like 1